Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What do ya'll like that doesn't have guitars (at least not prominently?)

polara

I am a big fan of "vocal jazz". NO real exact dividing line between "Jazz" and the "Great American Songbook". Such as Tony Bennett are still amazing after all these years. For a bit less "conventional" voice, I am a fan of Steve Tyrell. We got to know him pretty well ( he was our son's LIttle League coach) when he was launching his singing career after previously being a "a raspy voiced croaker" in "Texas Bar Blues Bands".

It never hurts if you have extensive music industry connections after years in A&R work.....He gets amazing musicians when he records or performs live. And he showcases them wonderfully.

Hardly a beautiful voice, but an amazing performer. His stories about "how he made it" are alone worth the price of admission to his shows.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Big fan of Nat King Cole, Sinatra, Tommy Dorsey Band (backed Sinatra for a while), all of that genre kills.

43 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Big fan of Nat King Cole, Sinatra, Tommy Dorsey Band (backed Sinatra for a while), all of that genre kills.

Yeah.     I have a Dean Martin cd,  I have yet to see a performer drink that much and still be damn good.    Mötley Crüe comes close tho.    Lol.   

6 minutes ago, DaveL said:

Yeah.     I have a Dean Martin cd,  I have yet to see a performer drink that much and still be damn good.    Mötley Crüe comes close tho.    Lol.   

I have it on pretty good authority that there was a lot less alcohol in his glass than he made it out to be. Although the drinking bouts of the "Rat Pack" WERE legendary.

Besides, ANYONE could sing like Dino, no?

Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five

thats about it! Certainly artists that’ll dabble in non guitar tunes (ala Radiohead), but there’s almost always guitar in most of what I listen to.

I personally love Jarrett's music.....................there is SO much going on in a performance its hard to take it all in. 

On 10/23/2017 at 3:22 PM, ARM OF HAMER said:

Tatum was an absolute monster; he may be the ultimate piano virtuoso regardless of genre. I have a 13-LP box set of Tatum solo masterpieces recorded in '53/54. Gotta spin some of that again soon.

$_58.JPG

In 1965 when the Beatles dominated the charts, my sister gave me a Gene Krupa album (I'd been playing drums for 2 years at that point) and I've been hooked on Big Band ever since. I saw the Buddy Rich band five times, Louie Bellson, Stan Kenton, Maynard Ferguson, Don Ellis twice, Quincy Jones, Sarah Vaughan, Cab Calloway with a big band, Count Basie, and Woody Herman.

I also love large scale orchestral tone poems and other bombastic works where the symphony has to bring in extra players, uses every percussion instrument in orchestral music, and makes extensive use of the symphony hall's built-in pipe organ.

I've heard Seattle Symphony do Pictures at an Exhibition twice, the Planets twice (once with a backdrop of NASA photographs of the planets that corresponded to the tone poems, and Saint-Saens Organ Symphony among others. Also Moussorgsky's own arrangement of "Night on Bald Mountain", which was absolutely frightening.

I've been listening to Thundercat this year, after reading reviews of his recent album.  I went to see him live at First Avenue about six weeks ago and was blown away. I picked this live youtube track because it really showcases his lead bass, rhythm bass and vocal abilities.  I'm a fan.

16 hours ago, BruceM said:

I've been listening to Thundercat this year, after reading reviews of his recent album.  I went to see him live at First Avenue about six weeks ago and was blown away. I picked this live youtube track because it really showcases his lead bass, rhythm bass and vocal abilities.  I'm a fan.

Nah. You're cheating! :P I love what I hear there (thanks for sharing!) but a bass is a particular kind of guitar... or it isn't? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, zorrow said:

Nah. You're cheating! :P I love what I hear there (thanks for sharing!) but a bass is a particular kind of guitar... or it isn't? :rolleyes:

When he played live, he added a violin player to the mix. There was nothing remotely sounding like guitar coming from that stage. I'll just say it doesn't sound like your typical guitar album, and leave it at that!

4 hours ago, BruceM said:

When he played live, he added a violin player to the mix. There was nothing remotely sounding like guitar coming from that stage. I'll just say it doesn't sound like your typical guitar album, and leave it at that!

I was kidding, as I foresaw a never-ending debate about if this was actually a guitar or not --"it does look like a guitar!" "it doesn't sound like one!" "but a bass guitar is a guitar!" "yeah, but you would never know if you hadn't seen it" ...and so on. Quite funny! :)

But anyway, it doesn't really matter. The music is good and the guy can play his... instrument, hehehehe. I liked it quite a bit. So, once again, thanks for sharing --I foresee now several hours of sonic pleasure my side, thanks to your post. :) 

Hi Everyone,

Apart from the usual suspects (Miles Davis, Coltrane , etc. ),

it's been this guy for the last 20 years:

Louis Sclavis

Cheers,

Tobias

7 hours ago, Brooks said:

^^^^ I played bass clarinet 7th thru 9th grade

Nice, I'm envious. Have you considered taking the bass clarinet out of its case and playing it again?

Amplified? Maybe with a Floyd Rose installed?

Cheers,

Tobias

Last week I repeatedly listened to this Rick Wakeman's album: "The Myths And Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table". I used to love it when I was studying at the conservatoire, in spite of the ugly tones of the vast majority of the featured singers:

I still like it a lot, and guitars aren't prominent at all there, so I guess it qualifies, right? :) 

PS: Here's a link to it on Vimeo: 

Archived