Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What do you mic your amplifier with live?

bubs_42

Live, I was using an Audio i5 on those rare occasions that I didn’t have a cranked amp onstage.

How do you like the quiet stage volume? I assume you are relying on pedals for your main dirt tone? Even with a Class 5. Those are little screamers!

3 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Live, I was using an Audio i5 on those rare occasions that I didn’t have a cranked amp onstage.

How do you like the quiet stage volume? I assume you are relying on pedals for your main dirt tone? Even with a Class 5. Those are little screamers!

I hate relying on a pedal for my tone, I do like to use them for stacking with the amps natural breakup. Lets face it, thats not going to happen much and that is why i'm letting the Fuchs go. I used the CL5 on the last gig on 6, pushed back in a corner up on top of a 1x12 for some height. That amp sounds great, then I smack it with the Saucy Box and use the Red Llama for boost. Only problem was the headroom, I really could not get enough boost for leads because I had no headroom.  At rehearsal I have the CL5 on 3 TOPS and I smack it with the Overrated Special to get the gain level I want and the Red Llama for boost. Works with the amp down that low better than the gig. You can set the CL5 on 10 and just work the volume for most rock and blues stuff. 

Now, I have the Orangutan Jr and I just smack it for extra sauce when needed with the Saucy Box. Then I used the Saucy HC to change the tonality of the amp for newer more modern tones. The CL5 may go the away as well so I don't have to use anything but amp and guitar at rehearsal. Then I can just leave everything there and I just have to show up. 

I have primarily played bass for the last few years so I go out direct.  Now that I am using a Helix, my amps won't see much action.  I am using it for the first time this weekend for my acoustic show with my Duotone.  The two voiced guitar setup with the Helix and the Duotone is pretty amazing.

If there's no direct out you can use, the Sennheiser 609, the Audix Jakeboy mentioned or the venerable SM57 or even a 58 are all good choices.  The 609 doesn't stick out so much into your stage space.  You can hang it from the top of the amp.  

I use an SM-57 on my 18 Watter clone.  I keep meaning to pick up an e609 just to try it out, but never get around to it.

On my little Champ clone stack (Emi 1258 in an open-back cab) I use an old H&K Red Box.  My singer uses the Champ live, and it usually ends up in front of, or tangled up in, the drum set.  The Red Box is great because it emulates a mic'ed cab, but there's no mic bleed from the drums or other stage noise.

All good, lucky us our guitarist owns the PA and we use SM57's. He just said I could use what ever I wanted as long as I brought it with me. That goes for the Vocal Mic as well, so I thought I would pick up a 609 and a 57 just then I can hang the 609 from my amp and make some room and have a mic that only I make contact with. We are not his only band and he also runs sound for other bands. 

1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

If you're micing an amp, won't they chew on the wires?

Seriously you nothing to do this morning? 

6 hours ago, veatch said:

Senn e409, or whatever they are. I like that I can lay them flat on the cab and not need a stand for 'em.  Sound quite good,  too. 

I'm thinking this is the way to go. 

Micing = adding rodents. Miking = making it louder.

Relicing = adding lice. Relicking = making it appear aged/worn (not to be confused with re-licking, which is something else entirely).

24 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

Micing = adding rodents. Miking = making it louder.

Relicing = adding lice. Relicking = making it appear aged/worn (not to be confused with re-licking, which is something else entirely).

Hold it...I thought Miking would be the application of a group of Mikes to accomplish a specific task.

26 minutes ago, bigolsparky said:

Hold it...I thought Miking would be the application of a group of Mikes to accomplish a specific task.

Nope. That's Mikeing. See it gets very confusing.

I don't mic my combo amp or guitar cabs with any microphone. I use a Palmer PDI--09 in between the amp & speaker and run the direct out back to the P.A. It's less of a hassle dealing with having a mic on a stand or suspended through the amp's handle and don't have to worry if I knock it out over or out of position. I get a good consistent sound and still am able to keep my stage volume up enough to hear myself without getting drowned out by the drummer. 

Guitar George

On 10/25/2017 at 11:00 AM, Rich_S said:

I use an SM-57 on my 18 Watter clone.  I keep meaning to pick up an e609 just to try it out, but never get around to it.

On my little Champ clone stack (Emi 1258 in an open-back cab) I use an old H&K Red Box.  My singer uses the Champ live, and it usually ends up in front of, or tangled up in, the drum set.  The Red Box is great because it emulates a mic'ed cab, but there's no mic bleed from the drums or other stage noise.

The Red Box also kicks ass.

Archived