Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Boosting a Dirty Amp for Leads.

bubs_42

19 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Somebody needs to design a booster that goes between the amp and the speaker with a really long cable and a switch to mount on your pedalboard. Solves all problems.

The Badcat Unleash attenuator did that very thing. Attenuated up and down and you had a second master to boost leads. It was your sound, just more of it at the push of a button. 

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

The Badcat Unleash attenuator did that very thing. Attenuated up and down and you had a second master to boost leads. It was your sound, just more of it at the push of a button. 

Yup. It does exactly that, and very well!

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

Get one of those.

49 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

Get one of those.

Prepare yourself... I had one and it was great! I ran my 4 Watt East Amplification Studio 4 into it. So I could play at home or a Jam at any level. The Unleash has a built in Effects Loop too!

2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Prepare yourself... I had one and it was great! I ran my 4 Watt East Amplification Studio 4 into it. So I could play at home or a Jam at any level. The Unleash has a built in Effects Loop too!

Soooooo....why not do it again?

ETA: I'm not bustin' your chops this time - I'm actually curious as to why you wouldn't go back to that. They are kinda pricey, though.

Just now, hamerhead said:

Soooooo....why not do it again?

Still tinkering at the moment. I pulled the Fuchs out and have been trying to use it with my board. Its just not the sound for that we are doing. Even with the Greenbacks, if I was doing my own thing or jams it would no problem. I'm pretty close to scrapping all the amps and tracking down the Larger Orangutan combo. The extra wattage, Master Volume, and Headroom would solve the issues and I love the sound of the Jr. 

Better bring a dolly - a 1x12 Orangutan combo at 64 lbs is pretty stout. Wow. They look sweet, but I'd have a JR. in a heartbeat.

ETA: a head version of the Jr would be killer.

If your going to go the treble booster route, the best I’ve tried and still have is a D*A*M Red Rooster, little pricey and rare, there is a used one over on gear page. 

5 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Better bring a dolly - a 1x12 Orangutan combo at 64 lbs is pretty stout. Wow. They look sweet, but I'd have a JR. in a heartbeat.

ETA: a head version of the Jr would be killer.

The JR, is close to the same size as the Class 5. I could buy a head shell, but I bought the combo for a reason, PLUG AND PLAY. As for the Badcat Unleash, its just one more piece of gear to carry. 

I had a 20 gift certificate for GC and I found one of those NEW MXR Booster MINI's. If I back down the drive a touch on the Jr and up the volume on the amp it will give me enough room to boost the amp on the front end IF I put the boost in front of the OD Pedals. 

If that doesn't work you will buy the Orangutan Jr. 

the "problem" w/ the rangemaster style treble boosters is that they sound so good that you will want to leave it on all the time.

it nails the 1st 5 Sabs albums / early judas priest / queen tones

4 minutes ago, Brooks said:

the "problem" w/ the rangemaster style treble boosters is that they sound so good that you will want to leave it on all the time.

Not a problem, really. I kept it on most of the time and used the guitar volumes for soloing. 

Brooks, have you tried the SabbraCaddabra pedal? Right up your alley, bro. 

So I bought the new MXR Booster Mini and after its arrival I found that it was a monster boost. My issue was that I have not room left to boost the signal. So I opened the pedal up to see where the inner trim was set (Echoplex volume is inside) and I just turned it all the way down. Then I tuned the pedal all the way down. I turned my amp up and my OD on to where I had the max amount of gain before it started to get too loose and sloppy. When I hit the boost with the volumes at zero and the tone maxed, I got a perfect gain CUT. Perfectly usable sound and when I turn my boost OFF, I have my lead boost with enough volume to satisfy (I HOPE) our needs. Just a happy little accident that I hope pays off. 

16 hours ago, RobB said:

Not a problem, really. I kept it on most of the time and used the guitar volumes for soloing. 

Brooks, have you tried the SabbraCaddabra pedal? Right up your alley, bro. 

This is truth.

Lots of good treble boosters out there. I sold my Diaz Texas Ranger to fund some studio gear but kept the Monsterpiece MonsterDrive RM clone with a fat switch. Love me some treble booster!

Archived