Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NFBD

Cool! Is that access plate on the back where the battery is? I've had a few Fender Basses with actives, and half the time you have to pull the whole dang pickguard to change the battery.

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Now you have me wanting one of those.  That is nice!

My bass teacher in Seattle was insistent that I find a 70's P bass. it literally took me years to find this. Close enough as this was made from 79 to 81. But you have to take into account that I only buy either in person or from the HFC. And I'm not willing to pay outrageous prices. But yes, thank you ... this is very nice, even nicer than I thought after I cleaned it up a little bit. The passive setting sounds perfect old school p bass thump. Lots of sustain, just deep deep deep. Some gritty, farty stuff going on too. I love it!, haha. I like the active setting less as it is a little noisy, but that's not important I don't need to use it. And really, It's really all about this neck. Big and fat yet somehow still easy to play. New shit just isn't like this. 

I've played a bunch of '70s P-Basses over the last few years (I actually prefer them to the more "vintage" ones - don't laugh!).  Turdus has had a few super nice and lightweight ones rotate through his basement that I've been able to check out and they really had that "home" feel to them.

I just got this creation - some may say, "abomination" - back last weekend.  It does a fantastic job of capturing that airy thump and sustain that I was looking for in a P.  Makes its gig debut this weekend:

GOLD2TEKPB%20110417%20front_zpsqzjb0rkg.GOLD2TEKPB%20110417%20back_zpstmbkilgf.j

36 minutes ago, Punkavenger said:

I only buy either in person or from the HFC. And I'm not willing to pay outrageous prices. 

However if offered an outrageous, stupid high price I will be happy to jump all over it.

dilly dilly

caddie

2 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I've played a bunch of '70s P-Basses over the last few years (I actually prefer them to the more "vintage" ones - don't laugh!).  Turdus has had a few super nice and lightweight ones rotate through his basement that I've been able to check out and they really had that "home" feel to them.

I just got this creation - some may say, "abomination" - back last weekend.  It does a fantastic job of capturing that airy thump and sustain that I was looking for in a P.  Makes its gig debut this weekend:

GOLD2TEKPB%20110417%20front_zpsqzjb0rkg.GOLD2TEKPB%20110417%20back_zpstmbkilgf.j

A 2 Tek on a P-Bass!  Amazing!

Oh, and congrats to PA, of course.  Did you get the handle with the Kahler?  Could be lots of fun! 

39 minutes ago, velorush said:

Oh, and congrats to PA, of course.  Did you get the handle with the Kahler?  Could be lots of fun! 

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. "WOW, P bass with a 2tek....!!!

Is the Kahler I have on my bass a Trem? The holes on the front of the bridge aren't threaded .... I was thinking it was just a beefier brass bridge with more adjustability than the stock bridge ....

1 hour ago, velorush said:

Even MORE amazing...a GOLD 2TEK!

2TEK%20Gold%204_zpsyoeozhgb.jpg

My%20Gold%202TEK%20050217%20back_zpshhtg

1 hour ago, Punkavenger said:

Is the Kahler I have on my bass a Trem? The holes on the front of the bridge aren't threaded .... I was thinking it was just a beefier brass bridge with more adjustability than the stock bridge ....

Looks like a trem to me.

Here's their current model from their website and yours:

2400W4gx.pngIMG_0271.jpg

Here's an 80's Kahler for bass from the interwebs:

pkjstd8uligkl9nvbxw9.jpg

Those rollers are on there for a reason!  Looks like for around $30 your in Billy Sheehanland!  

70's precisions are cool, and for a time, they were very affordable... had a 74 and also (I think) a 78 

black on black p-basses for many years...  part of the reason I love black stingrays

i-gr8z6St-M.jpg

Here's an article about wiggle stick (whammy bar) basses that Greg Gagliano wrote for 20th Century Guitar back in 1998.

The article has a picture of Greg's Kahler-equipped 1984 G&L Interceptor bass. Greg also owned a Kahler-equipped Guild Pilot at the time.

intbass.jpg

Dave LaRue had a whammy bar on his Spector Bass at the end of the 1980's.  He may have touched it once out of all the times I saw him with it.  Considering the way he and Steve Morse were pushing themselves to play incredible stuff, one has to wonder why Dave did not experiment with the bass trem system more than an occasional wiggle. 

On 11/7/2017 at 1:49 PM, velorush said:

Looks like a trem to me.

Here's their current model from their website and yours:

2400W4gx.pngIMG_0271.jpg

Here's an 80's Kahler for bass from the interwebs:

pkjstd8uligkl9nvbxw9.jpg

Those rollers are on there for a reason!  Looks like for around $30 your in Billy Sheehanland!  

Trem arm and trem clamp ordered!

Just saw Les recently with Sean Lennon (Delirium) - great show.

I'm not a big fan of the guitar Kahlers, and when I had a chance to get a bass with one I was immediately thinking about getting the swimming pool plugged, etc... but I gotta say - the bass Kahler is nice!  Rock solid as a "normal" bridge for bass playing, and the whammy works well whenever I do mess with it.

This is mine.  Same unit, I think...  

71qXQF1.jpg

Nice grab on that Precision!

Archived