Hamer Fan Club Message Center

You Might Be Getting Old When...

crunchee

13 minutes ago, crunchee said:

Surely he's related somehow,,, what kind of parents would name their kid George Blanda otherwise? lol.

Ehhhh, I don't know, Crunchee. The FMIC George Blanda isn't exactly a twenty-something YouTuber making a couple million per year producing DIY shorts of himself lighting farts, karate chopping holes in the interior walls of his manse, or adding inane commentary to a session of Minecraft. We're still old whether Blanda refers to the football legend or the guitar designer. We're also more intelligent. 😆

Father and son. The elder Blanda played at the University of Kentucky with my father in the late '40s. Coach was Bear Bryant. Met the younger at the Fender facility once when taking a tour.

1 minute ago, 0054 said:

I'm not so old that I would remember George Blanda as quarterback! To me he was a field goal kicker!

I remember him as MAINLY a field goal kicker...IIRC, he'd still do QB duty now and then (though not often) in the early '70's, and that was always interesting to watch, even if nothing happened...just because.

Blanda played for roughly 25-26 years. When he began his NFL career, few players wore facemasks and forward passes were a novelty. When he retired, his peers Roman Gabriel wore a half-birdcage facemask and Fran Tarkenton was on his way to a 40,000+ yard career. 

It is analagous to a guitarist starting with the Glenn Miller Orchestra and ending with Kiss. 

Archived