Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Imagine Dragons

They are not my thing.  I have heard their music, and they will not be selling me a CD any time soon.  Their song Demons has made it into a commercial somewhere or a TV show promo that has not yet gotten to the point of the invasive jingle that gets stuck in my head.  I just ignore it. 

They are a hugely popular band/group/collaboration right now. I know nothing about them other than that. If the dial stops on a current pop station, I hear their name....

I dug the first song I heard from them called Radioactive the first 30 times but the next "68" were kinda tough. Radio wore them out to me real quick. I found the use of unique percussion instruments interesting to listen but sought out no other tunes by them. YMMV.

Your responses show me why we've never heard of them here. There was a news expose about them this morning describing them as a household name. I was one of those who asked, "who" as well. I texted Brandon and he had the same response. The focus of the piece this morning was on the singer and his battle with depression which is largely why I tuned in. I had a phone call in the middle of it and wasn't able to see it all but apparently he has fought depression his entire life (as most clinically depressed people do) but his depression seems to be, like mine, a matter of circumstances, at least from the portion I was able to see. And apparently the latest album is about his struggle. He is a fallen Mormon as I'm a fallen Christian which is a catalyst to depression, or can be, for those struggling with their faith. And he, like me, says music, his music, has saved him. In my case it was Brandon unsnapping his guitar case and starting to play in his room while I was across the house crying and holding a gun to my head January 29, 2012. Then, February 22, 2012 I sold my boat and bought a Hamer here on this board. You guys have helped me through the rest.

Music does heal.

Glad to hear you're doing better.  And anyway, boats and horses, unlike guitars, just make you spend too much money.  :lol:

While the music doesn't grab me too much, I did see the story this morning too.  I respect what the guy is trying to do.  

Ive heard them. To me, their sound is in the same vein as Awolnation and U.S.S. There’s probably another band or two with a similar style. 

Didn't know any of the background, but yeah, music does heal. Something to focus on and it’s great when that focus is tight when playing, writing, etc. 

We have Welcome to Rockville coming up but before that is a music festival called The Big Ticket.

Heard a commercial for it today.  Featuring:  The Lumineers, Walk the Moon, Bleachers and more.  I'll pass.  Not my thing.  Those bands are like Imagine Dragons.  That new music that is classified as rock but is definitely not.

17 hours ago, Submariner85 said:

Featuring:  The Lumineers, Walk the Moon, Bleachers and more.  I'll pass.  Not my thing.  Those bands are like Imagine Dragons.  That new music that is classified as rock but is definitely not.

I remember being in 6th or 7th grade and watching a new cable channel called MTV. My mother walked in and commented “I grew up with rock n roll and THAT’S not rock n’ roll.”, Stray Cats got a pass from her though. 

Ha!

My son's friend had tickets to a show here a while ago.  My son went, and said that the best part of the show was the girl selling corndogs.  He's a big music head too, and said they were "Meh, at best".

That being said, they are extremely popular and a big draw.

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

I will simply never understand a how 13 year old would prefer that stuff to an Aerosmith riff cranked into their body from 3 feet via Les Paul plugged into lit Marshall half stack.

I thought that visceral punch resonated through the centuries and all mankind, force-dropping reluctant adolescent testicles and launching a million  teenage epiphanies.

I may as well start doing my yard work in dress socks and sandals, I guess.

Nobody needs to do anything ever wearing dress socks and sandals.

In a similar vein, my son and his girlfriend (both age 21) just went to see Hippo Campus with opening act Bleachers.

I told him to let me know if anyone shouted “GIT-TAR” before a ripping guitar solo or if any of their songs contained the word “mama.” (@MCChris will understand.)

He sent me a couple of short video clips and a few pictures. When I saw the thumbnail for the first video I thought, “Whoa! Two handed tapping! Maybe I was wrong! Maybe somebody DID bust out with an Eddie Van Halen-style guitar solo!”

Hippo_Campus_3.jpg

But…no. I can’t figure out how to insert his video here (it wasn’t the whole song anyway), so here’s Hippo Campus playing the song “Traveler” at a different show. Note the two-handed tapping.

So…yeah. At least they’re playing actual instruments  - guitars, even - instead of laptops, I suppose, so there’s that. And I try very hard to keep an open mind and not be one of those “My generation’s music was great, yours is terrible” parents. But Hippo Campus, Bleachers, et al, does nothing for me. It’s just so, for lack of a better word, wimpy.

8 minutes ago, Dana_V said:

I told him to let me know if anyone shouted “GIT-TAR” before a ripping guitar solo or if any of their songs contained the word “mama.” (@MCChris will understand.)

Adding a new one to the list on the next episode!

18 minutes ago, scottcald said:

True, they could just be black athletic socks.  :lol:

Okay, sandals with socks of any kind.:P

Archived