Hamer Fan Club Message Center

If you got rid of an amp 15 years ago and you regret it would you buy it back if it came up for sale?

Ok I play my Yamaha thr10 about 80-90 per cent of the time. But very occasionally I like to play thru a proper head turned up thru a Reeves 2x12 ported with my 25 dB reducing earplugs! I sold all of my cool amps and keep this old Randall Rg100es amp around for that purpose, well the pots on the two gain channel are messed up, like you turn it way past we’re you think thy should it be, still works but it’s digital and a tight, stiff, metal amp.  And I get an occasional  crackle. 

So the exact amp I sold 15 years ago is up for sale and I always like it it but moved on and regretted selling it. I don’t need it I’m happy with the Yamaha, it’s pretty cheap like 1/2 what I sold it for, should I do it. But I’m thinking I should get it and trash the Randall, it’s tube, 50 watts, 1/2 power switch, 2 channel and handwired. I’ve looked at most of the new stuff out, expensive and PCB. Plus the tone is modern which I’m not into, this is more classic. Builder is still around for service if I ever need it. It’s boutique amp not from the majors. 

Have you ever bought an amp back, how did it end.

1 minute ago, JohnnyThunders said:

Ok I play my Yamaha thr10 about 80-90 per cent of the time. But very occasionally I like to play thru a proper head turned up thru a Reeves 2x12 ported with my 25 dB reducing earplugs! I sold all of my cool amps and keep this old Randall Rg100es amp around for that purpose, well the pots on the two gain channel are messed up, like you turn it way past we’re you think thy should it be, still works but it’s digital and a tight, stiff, metal amp.  And I get an occasional  crackle. 

So the exact amp I sold 15 years ago is up for sale and I always like it it but moved on and regretted selling it. I don’t need it I’m happy with the Yamaha, it’s pretty cheap like 1/2 what I sold it for, should I do it. But I’m thinking I should get it and trash the Randall, it’s tube, 50 watts, 1/2 power switch, 2 channel and handwired. I’ve looked at most of the new stuff out, expensive and PCB. Plus the tone is modern which I’m not into, this is more classic. Builder is still around for service if I ever need it. It’s boutique amp not from the majors. 

Have you ever bought an amp back, how did it end.

Depends on what it is you used to have.  I used to own '70's Hiwatt DR 504 and DR103 heads about 15 years ago myself; they were great amps, but not only do I NOT use that level of firepower anymore, it just wouldn't be practical for me.  Things change, times change.

well, i never sell anything so maybe i'm not the most reliable witness lol.  if you miss the amp and can get it back for half the money and then dump the randall to cover some more of the cost that makes it easier to justify.  if it doesn't wreck the household finances and makes you happy (especially if that would be your only big iron) I'd say go for it.

Well , man I have a talking volume amp, works great but sometimes you want to play a real valve amp with some freaking volume, these modern modelers don’t do that. I’ve tried the axe and the Kemper and for a talking volume amp they are great but for the price  and value the Yamaha thr is just as good. Like I did I don’t need the big iron, 89% of the time Yamaha works great but for that Saturday night or when ever you want to let it rip for me nothing is better than some big iron, matamp gt120, orange or 120, Marshal JMP or , Sunn Beta Lead or  Ampeg V4 cranking through a 4x12.

I’m really too old for it but it really is the shit.

so thanks for the feedback but I’m buying it.

What are you expecting to discover? 

Years ago I had a Fender Princeton Recording that I think would be great to return. Occasionally one pops up, I think what it would give me other than the reason I sold it for. I have never pulled the trigger again, stay with the VAC25 that had replaced the Princeton and feel good.

8 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

I wouldn't because I'm perfect happy with my Axe FX like the fact I can run it at talking volume. I have zero desire to deal with loud anymore. 

Me too but I still have a Fryette Power Station to compliment it for  those times when only “amp in the room” loud will do.

Still have one of these..................had 4 others the 2d one I owned I should have kept................know where it is but there it will remain. Still have the Pearce {2d one I have owned] riLLohP.jpgLCcodyo.jpg......................wish I would have kept  a old Fender Harvard amp I had[ I would buy it back IF I knew where it was]................not one of the more desirable Fender amps but it was a great sounding . You just can't keep everything, an besides these days you can do so much with a smaller and lighter system............but I'll hang on to these non the less.

My old BF '67 Vibrolux Reverb recently showed up locally and for sale at what I'd consider a fair price. I sold it over 10 years ago when I was in a much tighter financial place in my life than I am now and I had what I saw as a more pressing gear need at the time. But as much as I loved that amp and would love to see it return to the stable from a rare/vintage/desirable/nostalgia piece all mixed together, I simply don't need it. I have what it does, close and good enough at least, in my current amp. Kind of like having a favorite screwdriver, losing it years ago, replacing it with a good screwdriver and then finding the lost one years later. At least that's what I keep telling myself. 

I believe that I may still have dibs on the two Marshalls I sold to HFC'rs many moons ago.

If I was contacted that they are ready to move them, I would not hesitate to reclaim. I wait patiently.

49 minutes ago, dhuber said:

Buy the amp.  When your practice room looks like this consult the HFC before moving forward.

Joe Bonamassa.jpg

Joe Bonamassa storage facility?;).................I think he has more than that though.:D

Definitely buy it back  

I’m on my third Boogie Mk IV. It’s not one of my old ones, but even though currently it’s only the amp our other guitarist practices through when at my house, I’ve learned my lesson and have no plans to sell it anytime soon. 

If I was made of money, I’d love to have back my old Mesa DC-10 head and 74 Fender Super Reverb.  Both got sold only because I was looking for a different sound when I owned them and didn’t have the extra cash for the new amp. 

But my Ampeg V-4?  Maybe for bass, but there’s no way I’d ever want it back to use as a guitar amp. 

I'd say buy it back.

If you can get it for 1/2 price, then you should be able to get your money back if have to move it  again.

I don't have any regrets on amps yet, but I might here in the near future.

Here's what I got and I'm thinking of an amp purge in the near future so I can pick up some more guitars.

Amps:

'65 Fender Blonde Twin Reverb (Conversion)
'66 Fender Pro Reverb
'66 Fender Princeton Reverb
'73 Fender SF Deluxe Reverb
'73 Fender Vibro Champ
'75 Fender Champ
'76 Fender Vibrolux Reverb
'83 Boogie MKIIC 60/100,EQ,Reverb Head
'84 Boogie MKIIC+ 60 watt combo
'84 Boogie MKIIC+ Simul-Class loaded
    Bubinga/Wicker combo
'05 Vox AC30CC2
'08 Brown Note D'Lite 44 "ODE" Head
'10 Hermida 1x12 openback G12H-30 loaded
'14 Mesa Boogie Roadster Dual Rectifier 2x12 Combo
'17 Katana Mini Head
'17 Katana 50/100 watt Combo

I had a Deluxe Reverb II back in 1989-1990. Great amp, but I needed a Marshall sound. Could only afford one amp, so I sold it.
About 13 years ago I found another one, in great condition. Bought it on the spot. These are rare here, so I don't know if it's my old one.
But these are killer amps. Does the classic black face DR tone, and the Rivera DR modded 80s tone (Rick Nielsen, Graydon, Lukather, Jerry Donahue and others). 
With a speaker swap these are just tone machines.

Sweetwater just did a thing with Paul Rivera were he has rebuilt some new Fenders to his old specs. Expensive as hell. A Deluxe Reverb II can be found at rather reasonable prices. All ptp, with finger jointed birch cabinets. 

Just my $0.02...  I've found that shortly after buying back stuff I've sold off in the past, I remember why I sold it in the first place.  Before too long, it's gone again.  I don't do that anymore.

If I ever saw my Twin Reverb for sale I would buy it back without a second thought. Too big, too loud and too heavy, but I loved playing through that amp.

If it is THAT amp for you, I would get it back. Before I put anything on the block, I play through it for a month. Most times after the first day I know why I still have it, or why I should get rid of it.

Sometimes there's just only one way to get that sound, feel, etc.

I wouldn't even blink and I'd re-buy in a heartbeat.

For me it was my 1974 (year) PC Board 50 Watt Marshall big box. It was the least desirable of the Marshalls I owned at the time ('69 Plexi, 71 Small Box, 73 50 Big Box, and a 71 Super Bass) but it just "worked" perfectly for me and my tone. Went to buy a house, I sold off all the Marshall's and bought a 50 2x12 Jubilee (that's a great amp in it's own right) and I've forever kicked myself in the butt for selling that '74. 

Good luck!

Archived