Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Question

I know this question has been asked and answered before, but I'm down to making the decision and would like advice from some of you with experience with a good power supply for effects.

I have been using a small 1spot daisy chained for my small pedal pile. But have had a couple of issues recently and I fell into the deep hole of fancy pedals last month. And all of my new Lovepedals come with a note to "Please use a independent 9VDC Power supply with a negative center." I have a couple of 9vdc wall warts but not enough to cover a pedal board.

So I am looking for an upgrade. But don't think I need anything in the $200+ range for a goofy old guy to play in the basement. I have a discount coming from AMS so I am looking there. Here are the supplies I am considering. Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated.

MXR M237- Eight 9v outputs and two 18v outputs- $99.00

MXR M238- Two 9V outputs at 100mA,Two 9V outputs at 300mA,Two 9V outputs at 450mA, Two 18V outputs at 250mA, Two variable outputs adjustable from 6V to 15V at 250mA. $150.00

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Two Plus- 6 9v + 2 adjustable for sag. $170.00

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power- Four 9V isolated high-current 400mA (2 with 12V option), Four 9V isolated 100mA .- $190.00

Walrus Audio Aetos- 8 total 9VDC outputs, 6 are 100mA and 2 outputs are high current outputs (300mA) $169.00

Would consider any other supplies that you might know of.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

Edited by Hbom
grammer

9 answers to this question

I've used the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Two Plus for a while now and it does everything you'd need it to do, with several useful options. Never having a dead battery is alone worth the price of admission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Voodoo is a great one, but the MXR is just as good and $70 Cheaper. 

I was actually referencing the MXR M238 not the Brick. I have a MXR M238 and love it, but the one thing it does not have is a 110 output for plugging in a pedal. 

Edited by bubs_42
  • Thanks 1

Depends on the pedals you are using. The Voodoo Labs setup is much better with "alternative voltage" pedals, that don't just run on a 9V battery.  For may though, the MXR is fine, or even just the 1 spot.

• Thanks 1

Keep in mind that all of the outputs of the Voodoo are isolated and the MXR's aren't so there is a reason it costs more. Whether you need that isolation or not is another story. If you didn't get any weird ground loops or anything with the 1 spot then you can probably go with the MXR.

• Thanks 1

Echoplexing the Pedal Power 2 Plus ... I spent the extra money to have the access to oddball voltages on command, and to take "is it the power source?" out of the equation when shit ain't right.

• Like 2

And yet another guy using the Voodoo pedal power 2+. The only negative I have about it is that you need a pecial cable that bridges two ports if you need to run an 18 volt pedal. But other than that I love it. Quiet, flexible and reliable. 

• Thanks 1

Voodoo Lab all the way. isolated on each supply.

I think I may have an extra..... :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to all for your kind advice. I went with the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Two Plus. It's maybe more than I need, but I've already lost a Soul Food to bad power. So better to spend a little more now and hopefully not have to worry, than putz along with something cheaper and screwing up more pedals.

Thanks again.

Doug

2 hours ago, murkat said:

I think I may have an extra..... :ph34r:

Wow! Thanks for the offer but I bought one this morning.

Awesome.

The endorsement that impressed me most for the PP2+ is from the great Pete Cornish who builds rigs for David Gilmour etc. I bought one just on the strength of that.

High praise indeed!

• Thanks 1