Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Power supply?

Hbom

Question

I know this question has been asked and answered before, but I'm down to making the decision and would like advice from some of you with experience with a good power supply for effects.

I have been using a small 1spot daisy chained for my small pedal pile. But have had a couple of issues recently and I fell into the deep hole of fancy pedals last month. And all of my new Lovepedals come with a note to "Please use a independent 9VDC Power supply with a negative center." I have a couple of 9vdc wall warts but not enough to cover a pedal board.

So I am looking for an upgrade. But don't think I need anything in the $200+ range for a goofy old guy to play in the basement. I have a discount coming from AMS so I am looking there. Here are the supplies I am considering. Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated.

MXR M237- Eight 9v outputs and two 18v outputs- $99.00

MXR M238- Two 9V outputs at 100mA,Two 9V outputs at 300mA,Two 9V outputs at 450mA, Two 18V outputs at 250mA, Two variable outputs adjustable from 6V to 15V at 250mA. $150.00

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Two Plus- 6 9v + 2 adjustable for sag. $170.00

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power- Four 9V isolated high-current 400mA (2 with 12V option), Four 9V isolated 100mA .- $190.00

Walrus Audio Aetos- 8 total 9VDC outputs, 6 are 100mA and 2 outputs are high current outputs (300mA) $169.00

Would consider any other supplies that you might know of.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

9 answers to this question

I've used the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Two Plus for a while now and it does everything you'd need it to do, with several useful options. Never having a dead battery is alone worth the price of admission.

The Voodoo is a great one, but the MXR is just as good and $70 Cheaper. 

I was actually referencing the MXR M238 not the Brick. I have a MXR M238 and love it, but the one thing it does not have is a 110 output for plugging in a pedal. 

Depends on the pedals you are using. The Voodoo Labs setup is much better with "alternative voltage" pedals, that don't just run on a 9V battery.  For may though, the MXR is fine, or even just the 1 spot.

Keep in mind that all of the outputs of the Voodoo are isolated and the MXR's aren't so there is a reason it costs more. Whether you need that isolation or not is another story. If you didn't get any weird ground loops or anything with the 1 spot then you can probably go with the MXR.

Echoplexing the Pedal Power 2 Plus ... I spent the extra money to have the access to oddball voltages on command, and to take "is it the power source?" out of the equation when shit ain't right.

And yet another guy using the Voodoo pedal power 2+. The only negative I have about it is that you need a pecial cable that bridges two ports if you need to run an 18 volt pedal. But other than that I love it. Quiet, flexible and reliable. 

Many thanks to all for your kind advice. I went with the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Two Plus. It's maybe more than I need, but I've already lost a Soul Food to bad power. So better to spend a little more now and hopefully not have to worry, than putz along with something cheaper and screwing up more pedals.

Thanks again.

Doug

2 hours ago, murkat said:

I think I may have an extra..... :ph34r:

Wow! Thanks for the offer but I bought one this morning.

Archived