Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Malcolm Young RIP

You knew it was coming....................makes it no easier to hear.:( What a incredible talent........... with such a history, Malcolm WAS AC/DC  IMHO.Sad when he had to leave the band and now he has left the planet..............but he left his mark for sure...............all we can hope to do. RIP.

http://www.acdc.com/news?n_id=364

Rest in peace Malcolm. 

My thoughts and prayers go to the Young family, friends and the legions of AC/DC fans. 

LET THERE BE ROCK!   

One of my favorite big arena concert memories was For Those About To Rock!   Those damn cannon effects were bad ass.

Hamerica

I can't imagine how shitty dementia is for all involved. I think hearing that diagnosis a few years ago was more upsetting than today's news. Dude was and will always be a legend.

I was just listening to "Touch too Much" the other day thinking how f*cking rock solid Malcolm is, one of  - if not THE - best rhythm guitar players ever. Absolutely the balls of the band. He will be missed.

R.I.P., Malcolm.

Felt like I got kicked in the gut when I saw this. Obvious outcome, but still really sucks. When you think of AC/DC’s tone, he is what you were mainly hearing even though Angus is usually first to come to mind. Such great riffage.

Like ARM OF HAMER said, we knew it was coming.  Within the last week I was actually thinking about when we would find out about Malcolm Young's death. 

An uncle died with Alzheimer's.  A friend's mom had dementia before dying.  That was something I could never have envisioned nearly 40 years ago, especially with regard to one of the guys in one of my favorite bands.  I hope I never have to read about this happening to any of you, either. 

He was only 64. 

AC/DC was Keith Richards fave band outside of his own....he understood the importance of both Malcolm and Angus. That Gretsch just DROVE the band. 

RIP Riffmaker and thanks for the music.

You know it's funny.  Back in the shredder 80s, a couple of guys I knew who were all into the shredding, dismissed AC/DC as being too simple or too easy.  When I would ask them to play a song, and almost always they'd get a part wrong since the two guitars were often doing different things but sounded like one massive guitar, or they wouldn't get the rhythm of it just right or they wouldn't leave the space where it needed to be left.   And Malcolm was good enough to NOT take the spotlight.  I like the shred guys too, but Malcolm's riffs will live long after all of us are gone.  

2 hours ago, Stike said:

I can't imagine how shitty dementia is for all involved. I think hearing that diagnosis a few years ago was more upsetting than today's news. Dude was and will always be a legend.

I have a 56 year old friend that's been diagnosed with the onset of Alzheimer's.  They told him three to five years and he will be nearly completely debilitated.  He's healthy as a horse physically.  So, he'll be in a nursing home until his body fails.  He's joked about suicide.  Frankly, I don't think he's joking.  He's a very proud man and a successful business man.  Losing the mind, to me, is so much worse than losing the body.  And knowing it's coming is horrific. 

God bless Malcom and all involved.   I'm guessing there's some relief in it being over. 

30 minutes ago, scottcald said:

You know it's funny.  Back in the shredder 80s, a couple of guys I knew who were all into the shredding, dismissed AC/DC as being too simple or too easy.  When I would ask them to play a song, and almost always they'd get a part wrong since the two guitars were often doing different things but sounded like one massive guitar, or they wouldn't get the rhythm of it just right or they wouldn't leave the space where it needed to be left.   And Malcolm was good enough to NOT take the spotlight.  I like the shred guys too, but Malcolm's riffs will live long after all of us are gone.  

Years ago a co-worker who was a very good guitarist that was really into whatever jam bands were called in the early 90's along with Michael Hedges and similar stuff upon hearing me praise Malcolm replied with "But he doesn't do anything". Even in my early 20's I was done with the who's a better guitarist horseshit arguments but that one got to me. I'm pretty sure I just snapped back with a "You're a fucking idiot." and left it at that. To this day I think anyone who think's Malcolm didn't do anything should go eat a bag of dicks.

2 hours ago, Stike said:

My wife's grandmother passed last year at 94, but her decline was slow, over about 10 years.  It's tough to watch people slowly fade away.  Even to near the end, there'd be these flashes of her old self and laughing etc.  

7 minutes ago, The Shark said:

I have a 56 year old friend that's been diagnosed with the onset of Alzheimer's.  They told him three to five years and he will be nearly completely debilitated.  He's healthy as a horse physically.  So, he'll be in a nursing home until his body fails.  He's joked about suicide.  Frankly, I don't think he's joking.  He's a very proud man and a successful business man.  Losing the mind, to me, is so much worse than losing the body.  And knowing it's coming is horrific. 

God bless Malcom and all involved.   I'm guessing there's some relief in it being over. 

In my random "what if" thoughts that scenario has come up before, I'd hate for my immediate family to have to deal with that. 

1 minute ago, Stike said:

Years ago a co-worker who was a very good guitarist that was really into whatever jam bands were called in the early 90's along with Michael Hedges and similar stuff upon hearing me praise Malcolm replied with "But he doesn't do anything". Even in my early 20's I was done with the who's a better guitarist horseshit arguments but that one got to me. I'm pretty sure I just snapped back with a "You're a fucking idiot." and left it at that. To this day I think anyone who think's Malcolm didn't do anything should go eat a bag of dicks.

Yeah, and most folks have off days, etc. but I defy any of those folks to listen to an album or live recording of them and find somewhere Malcolm was off, even a little bit.   

44 minutes ago, scottcald said:

I hate to say it too, but I hope Angus puts AC/DC to bed now.  

Too late for that. They’ve already performed without him. And Brian Johnson.

All respect and props to Angus, but that guy over in the back corner was the one bringing the slam.  That's who I wanted to be.  RIP and thanks for flying the flag for rhythm players. 

And alzheimer's/dementia.  It's all around me, I've watched two people die of it, and it terrifies me.

2 hours ago, scottcald said:

I hate to say it too, but I hope Angus puts AC/DC to bed now.  

Stevie Young worked hard to play Malcolm's parts.  He is the right guy to fill Malcolm's spot on stage, and to play his guitar.  

AC/DC had a tour booked to support their last album.  Brian had to leave.  Cliff retired at the end of the tour.  

Angus can decide what he wants to do as far as recording and touring goes.  It has been proven AC/DC can survive.  Watching two brothers get buried within a month will likely put any thoughts about the band at a low priority for now.

Archived