Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Double WOW Neck

diablo175

Never have seen one of these! Double necks are something of a rarity but a double neck with maple board on a solid maple body?  And a bound 12 string neck? WOW!

image.png

I remember playing that one at one of the HFC Factory Open House events.  Didn't Steve/Phoenix own that one?

The two different/mismatched  fingerboards and inlays always bugged me on that one.

Was a loooong HFC debate years ago. 

Would almost work if the maple neck had ebony boomers added.

5 hours ago, mc2 said:

The two different/mismatched  fingerboards and inlays always bugged me on that one.

I was thinking that, too. The maple isn't so bad but the inlays make it look like a replacement.

6 hours ago, mc2 said:

Was a loooong HFC debate years ago. 

1 minute ago, DBraz said:

Do you know what?  I actually DON'T like that one.  It looks like too much of a mash up of spare parts as opposed to a cohesive design.

I’ll third these sentiments. 

15 hours ago, scottcald said:

Wow that's cool!  My back hurts looking at it. :lol:  Are you going to start collecting these?   

I think there's like a Moore's law of blade switches thing happening here.  Think about how much more cost effective it is to replace multiple switches on the same guitar than to have to buy a new guitar each time he gets the urge to replace a switch.

;)

3 hours ago, DBraz said:

Do you know what?  I actually DON'T like that one.  It looks like too much of a mash up of spare parts as opposed to a cohesive design.

In the art world that would be called clashing or run away variety resulting in a disjointed, unsettling appearance. I'm not sold on the appearance nor on the utilitarian aspects of having a solid maple body with an all-maple neck. Holy f*ck, that would be treble heavy as well as just plain heavy! :lol:

That one WAS (is heavy), as I recall.

Interestingly enough, mine is a single-piece body cut from a 22" Honduras Mahogany slab that Dave Brown picked out,  and weighs about the same as a nice Strat.  It is not heavy at all, and actually lighter than many single-necked guitars out there.  In fact, I think the case weighs more than the guitar!

12 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I remember playing that one at one of the HFC Factory Open House events.  Didn't Steve/Phoenix own that one?

I believe you're right.  2004 HFC Factory Tour/Jam at the VFW?  I remember that pink case lining and the varnished walls.

8 hours ago, DBraz said:

Exactly what I was thinking

21 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

There was a time Hamer would do almost anything, regardless if a good idea.  

And then there was another time they said NO even to good ideas.

And then they stopped existing.

On 11/19/2017 at 7:41 PM, Studio Custom said:

There was a time Hamer would do almost anything, regardless if a good idea.  

On 11/20/2017 at 5:06 PM, zorrow said:

And then there was another time they said NO even to good ideas.

And it is precisely that dichotomy of the above mentalities that brings on such lament and wistfulness when I think of Hamer. Sure, it's folly to be waxing nostalgic, given the net effect on the  situation but every time I think of what was done and what could have been done by that company, I can't help but feel the pangs of disappointment. I'm sure I'm not alone in that capacity.

Dunno if I participated in the "loooong HFC debate years ago" about this instrument, but my first reaction upon seeing it would have been  "floor sweep"---rarity made to use up parts. May have had some utilitarian value but should it be lauded as a "collectible"? If somebody famous used it, that would add to the interest...and the debate.

That said, I've owned some "floor sweep" instruments made by other mfrs. over the decades and I still have a couple that would probably be categorized as such. I can legitimately proclaim that one has a custom color and custom pickguard on accounta those facets were not in the model description in the catalog...and it's a great instrument (Reechard's seen it in person).

That was actually a very expensive custom order placed by somebody - not a "name" player, but that was actually what they spec'd out!

It probably sounded like a better idea on paper...

I also remember that one from the 2004 HFC open house jam. If I dig through some old hard drives, I believe I would find  a pic of Gene (BTMN) posing with it.

-Bobby

Archived