Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The largest *production* guitar?

zorrow

I recently read an article about a humongous Flying V which is 40-something feet long and can actually be played --well, tuned, as it features a correct scale and all. However, that one is a one-shot deal, as no maker would actually produce a run of that. So, I wondered which actually is the biggest/largest production guitar ever built --I mean, a real guitar.

Is it the Gibson Super 400? --have a look at it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Super_400

Any idea? Just curious! 

Decades ago, there were some Stromberg archtops and maybe some Larson Bros. guitars that had a 19" wide lower bout; they were made by luthiers, not on a production line, but they may have been considered 'standard' models for those builders. I am unsure how many, if any, were made for store stock vs. custom orders from players.

If you want to include basses, there was Gibson's Mando-Bass (ca. 1912-1930, 24"-wide lower bout, full upright bass scale of 42") and the Ernie Ball Earthwood, (18 3/4" wide at lower bout; two depths--6 5/8" and 8 1/4")

Gibson Harp Guitar?  Curiously, I never found a Burst in the "wild" (did deals on some consigned ones), but I found two of the Harps both from the original owners.  Both in the late eighties.  They both reside in the Aoki collection.  Sold them to Mac Yasuda.

40 minutes ago, The Shark said:

Gibson Harp Guitar?  Curiously, I never found a Burst in the "wild" (did deals on some consigned ones), but I found two of the Harps both from the original owners.  Both in the late eighties.  They both reside in the Aoki collection.  Sold them to Mac Yasuda.

Found a pic, but I wonder what its dimensions are.

1907gibson1-miner.jpg

4 hours ago, The Shark said:

Likely the correct answer.  According to the October 2005 Vintage Guitar, 

Orville Gibson made at least one harp guitar – a highly ornate model that’s pictured on the cover of the Gibson Guitars: 100 Years Of An American Icon – but it wasn’t until the Gibson company was formed in 1902 that Gibson “ran with” the idea. The first Gibson catalog featured four different harp models: the R and R-1 with 17-7/8″ body width and six sub-bass strings, and the U and U-1, with 21″ body and 12 sub-bass strings.

And I thought the Super 400 was entirely too big!

ETA: the 1902 price of $269.96 equates to $7,443.14 in today's dollars, so, typical Gibson pricing... 

Both of mine were black and had the 12 sub strings.  One was structurally sound and the other was a wreck.  I found one in Christmas Florida from a guy that was in his nineties in 1988.  The other one was purchased at a Wildwood bluegrass festival around the same time.  This old man that had two killer F5 mandolins, sold it to me as a consolation for him selling one of the two mandos to George Gruhn.  It was his brother's guitar.  That was the wrecked one.  Wish I had pictures, but that's a long time ago and they were more of a novelty.  I know my partner and best friend Chris Lukasik had pics, but he passed away and I never got a chance to go through the picture album he had from our time in business.

I remember eons ago shopping half-assed for a double neck and I kept coming across these triple necks labeled under a brand called Galveston. I nearly bought one just to freak people out at live shows (I was gigging back then).

w9pjhgqibyt2ehr4scd7.jpg

15421c426a62cc889e78267a513baeff--galves

rqgx8awlpn7xqrbogkmb.jpg

59 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Did one of those wind up in the old Mars store on East Colonial Drive? I remember one on display there for a couple of years. In the mid ‘90s?

I think that one was Erv Shumake's at one time.  I thought he sold it to Elliot at Thouroughbred, but I could be wrong.  Mine were long gone by then.

3 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I believe you’re CORRECT Sir! GREAT mammary- eh hem, memory! I’m pretty sure his name was on the info card with it’s history in the display.

Large mammary organs are cool too! :P 

20 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

This is not a production guitar, but it is big. 

Holy cow! Some people have just lost their minds!

Archived