Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Will Hamer Gold Tops Green With Age?

DanD

I don't know if Hamer used the Crescent metal powders or not for their Goldtops. If they did the clear they started using around 92 was more of a cohesive film than lacquer so it's less likely that it would oxidize. 

I've noticed that some are gold and some have the green/gold hue that the old Gibson guitars are known for.  I know that it took me a month of Sundays to find a '57 Historic with the right color.  At certain angles, it's got the green.  And not from sweat or age.

5yFKOXa.jpg

Hamer changed the formula for their gold top finish in the early -mid 2000's.  The earlier guitars had a lighter color that looked almost chartreuse.  The later version is much closer to the bullion gold color used by Gibson.  

I recall talking to BCR Greg about this in 2004-2005.  I had a Monaco gold top custom order in the works and wasn't sure if it would be the earlier or later version of gold.

I'm hoping someone may chime in with some actual paint codes/manufacturers? 

Could be a long shot. :huh:

Nice GT!

Is that Monaco still about? I'd like to see it.  I have a soft spot for Monacos. :wub:

17 hours ago, The Shark said:

I've noticed that some are gold and some have the green/gold hue that the old Gibson guitars are known for.  I know that it took me a month of Sundays to find a '57 Historic with the right color.  At certain angles, it's got the green.  And not from sweat or age.

5yFKOXa.jpg

I think DanD was talking about the tendency of goldtops to oxidize to a deep green (usually starting where the player's arm contacts the body) like this:

981ef06dd87ad18fcd9ee589dd2c56d6--les-pa

Not the olive-tinted gold that you're talking about (pre-2005 on the left, post-2005 on the right):

1106416720063_Goldtops_front_close_2.jpg

How the two different tints age is different too.  The "olive" tinted ones look like a real vintage goldtop when they age.  The others not so much.  The green from sweat and wear looks better on the olive ones to me. 

19 hours ago, The Shark said:

5yFKOXa.jpg

Do you have the expressed, written consent of Larry Dimarzio to have those double creme humbuckers on your bench? :D

6 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Do you have the expressed, written consent of Larry Dimarzio to have those double creme humbuckers on your bench? :D

Are you trying to get a wonderful pickup guy that's a friend to the forum in hot water?  SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Yes burningyen, the greening you've mentioned is what I was referring to. I've yet to see a Hamer 'green up' like the vintage LP in your post. 

I've been told that Hamer didn't use the correct kind of paint for oxidation to occur. I was hoping some of the experts here may have experience with well worn gold Hamers or that maybe someone who actually  worked at Hamer may chime in with some specifics. 

I have an '85 that needs some gold touch up and repair. I've yet to find any info on the type of formula or manufacturer of the paint used in the mid '80s.  

On November 22, 2017 at 1:34 AM, DanD said:

Is that Monaco still about? I'd like to see it.  I have a soft spot for Monacos. :wub:

It's the one in burningyen's photo above.  Thanks for posting it Ben, I was looking through my old files and hadn't found it..

11 hours ago, DanD said:

Yes burningyen, the greening you've mentioned is what I was referring to. I've yet to see a Hamer 'green up' like the vintage LP in your post. 

I've been told that Hamer didn't use the correct kind of paint for oxidation to occur. I was hoping some of the experts here may have experience with well worn gold Hamers or that maybe someone who actually  worked at Hamer may chime in with some specifics. 

I have an '85 that needs some gold touch up and repair. I've yet to find any info on the type of formula or manufacturer of the paint used in the mid '80s.  

If it’s from the 80’s it’s nitrocellulose lacquer which. Any checking/cracking /wear in the clear topcoat will allow air to come into contact with the basecoat color. If the gold is a bronzing powder like Gibson uses for goldtops it will oxidize. If they used a metallic (not really metal) automotive basecoat paint it won’t. Sorry I don’t know what they were using for colors then.

I'm hopeful that someone may wander through here with some definitive answers.  

The original finish feels more like acrylic lacquer in hand. I could test an area with lacquer thinner to be sure but if it is a nitro finish it's a different formula than the Gibson nitro from the same era.  The nitro Gibson finishes I have all seem much thinner when looking at the edges of a finish chip/crack. :unsure:

On 11/23/2017 at 9:53 AM, DanD said:

The bound and crowned Monaco is very nice. Special order? 

Yes, through BCR Music.  

Hamer_082.JPGHamer_059.JPG

On 11/24/2017 at 5:29 PM, DanD said:

The original finish feels more like acrylic lacquer in hand. I could test an area with lacquer thinner to be sure but if it is a nitro finish it's a different formula than the Gibson nitro from the same era.  The nitro Gibson finishes I have all seem much thinner when looking at the edges of a finish chip/crack. :unsure:

Hamer phased out nitrocellulose for topcoat clear going into 1992 and started using a CAB urethane instead which they referred to as Urelac. Anything 1992 and beyond is going to have a clear coat that will crack/check.

On 11/24/2017 at 5:29 PM, DanD said:

A Hamer finish should be .012" thick according to Jol.  

Archived