Hamer Fan Club Message Center

#0066 - An illustrated journal...

cmatthes

My wife asked me what I wanted for a landmark birthday, and despite the tempting offers of trips and other cool stuff, I jumped at her suggestion to order another Shishkov.  I knew it wouldn't get started until after the Ultimate run and a number of other custom orders had wrapped, but I got the deposit together, secured my place in line and have been really enjoying the progress thus far.

Since Photobucket is going to be crapping out on me shortly (I won't be paying their $400 annual fee for the privilege of posting pics), I'll be uploading gradually and directly in the hopes these images stick around.  Hopefully, by the time I'm finished, I'll be able to post shots of the finished guitar!

First, after coming up with the specs and some back and forth with Mike, we looked at some tops that fit my description of what I was looking for.  That was one of the toughest parts so far, since they were all simply amazing.

Shishkov__0066_top.jpg

Shishkov 0066 top 2016.jpeg

66 Quilt 072716 1.jpg

I also picked out another bit of maple for Mike to work with...

Shishkov 0066 neck.jpg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What can I say?  The materials look like absolutely the finest you could ever hope to see, let alone have on your own build.  How many A's qualify that sort of quality?

Mike showed me "your wood" (🙄) when I picked mine up and to say I was impressed was an understatement.

I simply cannot wait to see this one completed.

40 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Landmark birthday?

Trying to shave a couple of years off?

Not at all - I just ordered it on my birthday.

I'm all about helping my fellow HFC'ers!

That top I’d call a bubble quilt because it looks like it’s bubbling over. That one shot with the penciled in body outline.

its an insanely over the top slab-O-quilt.

A 10A top.

Ebony board, lightweight Korina body, flame maple neck too...

Ebony board.jpg

Korina blank.jpg

My board is in that pic...it just may not be the one in the front. ;)

The neck blank...

0066 neck 1 121416.jpg

0066 neck 2 121416.jpg

0066 neck 3 121416.jpg

0066 neck 4 121516.jpg

0066 neck 5 121516.jpg

So.......

So far we have a gorgeous Korina body, incredible quilt top, and unbelievable maple neck, possibly ebony, or rosewood fingerboard and Mike building. Not much chance it'll be any good........... A certainty!!!!!!

arniez

Archived