Hamer Fan Club Message Center

#0066 - An illustrated journal...

cmatthes

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The back carve...very important for comfort!

0066 carve.jpg

Shishkov 101117 back blended.jpg

The neck contouring...so smooth!

Shishkov 66 101217 a.jpg

Shishkov 66 101217 b.jpg

Shishkov 66 101217 e.jpg

Shishkov 66 101217 f.jpg

Shishkov 66 101217 f.jpg

Korina, "That Neck", Blended Heal, and Shishkov!   What is there not to like?

Hamerica

Forgive me if this has been revealed / discussed in the thread prior, but are those routes for 'trons?

If so, it would kill me not to send Mike a message asking for the CMatthes signature model.  Exactly like that!

1 hour ago, Hamerica said:

Shishkov 66 101217 f.jpg

Korina, "That Neck", Blended Heal, and Shishkov!   What is there not to like?

Hamerica

Agreed.  This pic should be on Team Shishkov's web page.  Stunning!

Dang it. It just keeps getting better. 

I wonder what pups will go in there... some Gravelin mini-hums, p-90s, firebirds, filters?  the mind reels with possibilities

Going for the 6 screw wilkie trem in there? (he ducks)

On 12/1/2017 at 1:38 PM, BubbaVO said:

Dang it. It just keeps getting better. 

I wonder what pups will go in there... some Gravelin mini-hums, p-90s, firebirds, filters?  the mind reels with possibilities

Going for the 6 screw wilkie trem in there? (he ducks)

Not quite!  After close to 2 years of getting yanked around by Floyd Rose for a trem that STILL isn't available, I ended up going with the same one Mr. Veach opted for, the extremely smooth and well made 2point Gotoh unit below, and couldn't be happier with it.

0066 Trem 083017.jpg

Mike and I had many discussions about the color, which over the last few months changed slightly, as I think we both had some reservations with how the original finish I had requested would translate over the wood used.  Washing out or muting that quilt or the Korina grain was simply not an option!

Some shots from Mike's hand staining work, and then the initial color coats:

Stain 101617 neck 2.jpg

Stain 101617 neck.jpg

Stain_101617_top.jpg

Shishkov 0066 110117 a.jpg

Shishkov 0066 110117 back.jpg

Shishkov__0066_111717_a.jpg

Shishkov #0066 111717 b.jpg

Shishkov #0066 111717 c.jpg

Shishkov #0066 111717 d.jpg

Shishkov #0066 111717 e.jpg

More color stuff...I was totally blown away!

Shishkov 0066 111817.jpg

Shishkov 0066 112717 a.jpg

Shishkov 0066 112717 b.jpg

Shishkov 0066 112717 c.jpg

More to come soon...I just got in from a long ride back from CT to hang with Mike & the family for an all too brief visit.

I'm back from a really fun and memorable visit to CT and Shishkov World HQ.  It is always great to hang with some of the most hospitable and genuinely awesome friends a guy could have, and it was cool to sneak a quick peak at a couple things that are in the works and talk some maximum guitar geekery.  Mike likes to keep his customers builds under wraps for the most part, but I did get to check out a semi-hollow build and was just blown away with how cool those are going to be. If anybody is on the fence about talking with Mike about an order, reach out and have that conversation - you won't regret it one bit!

On to #0066...

Mike greeted me with a smile, a brotherly hug and a cold beer when I pulled up, which was a great way to end a 7 hour car ride.  We hung out for a good long while catching up, and then he very casually asked if I wanted to check out the guitar...

😜

he brought out the cream-colored case and popped the hinges and stood back.  I know we've all had those moments when it feels like the air is sucked out of the room, and that's what I got when I opened the case and saw it in person and ready to rock:

66a.jpg

66b.jpg

66c.jpg

66d.jpg

66e.jpg

I should let the pics do the talking, but the lowdown - this is a perfect, light weight, that balances perfectly on a strap or sitting down.  The neck is amazing too - really nice, fat and round profile, and it is super comfortable up and down everywhere.  I plugged it in, and the 3 TVJ PowerTrons are a solid match.  The 1-3-5 positions are round, full and clear, and the 2-4 positions are like a thicker Strat "in-between" quack.  the "2" position is instant Knopfler/Gurley territory, and the "4" gets that Hendrix/SRV thang.  The Gotoh trem is a really great surprise.  It is super smooth, and stays in perfect tune with the Sperzel locking tuners (and a well-cut nut!).  Everything is, as expected, top notch.  When you look at it, you don't want to stop looking at it, and when you're playing it, you don't want to stop playing it!  

The Reverse 6-in-line is a thing of beauty.  The bevel and contouring is where the artistry really shows.  The flame from the neck wood shows through to the front as a compliment to the jet black ebony of the headstock and fingerboard.  When Mike and I were initially discussing the build, I was thinking about binding the headstock too, but Mike suggested this, and said "trust me".  I'm glad I did - it's one of my favorite features, and looks KILLER!  

This is a tough finish to capture in photos for some reason - it is actually a bit richer looking in person, and looks everything from Teal to Blue to Aquamarine depending on the light.  We swung by the old Hamer/Ovation/Guild factory to snap a few pics down by the river on the old table that's still there (got a great tour of the reopened Ovation shop from Darren too!).  Mike and I grabbed lunch at the Parrot Delaney Tavern, which occupies much of the space that the Hamer/Ovation sales offices used to.  Our table was pretty much where Jol's old office used to be - I think I was sitting under where a NightRanger Platinum album once hung!  ;)  Really awesome day, really amazing guitar!

66e2.jpg

66f.jpg

66g.jpg

66h.jpg

66i.jpg

66j.jpg

66m.jpg

Archived