Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Question about USA Hamer serial numbers (in 2007)

Gabe

Question

So I own 2 Talladega's.

One is Aztec Gold and is (according to the custom order certificate) completed on Jan.17th 2007, serial no. 755756.

The other one is Black Transparent, I do not have a COA, and is from 2008, I do not know when in 2008, serial no. 856175.

Now I see on Reverb, also posted in the For Sale forum on the HFC, a Talladega Amberburst from 2007, serial no. 755413.

So the first thing to notice is that between my AG Tally and my BT Tally there have been 419 USA Hamers completed between Jan. 17th of 2017 and somewhere in 2008, in any case in more than 11 months. That is not a lot of guitars completed in a year, and it can be even more than a year.

However the second thing that can be calculated is that between the 1st of January 2007 and the 17th of January 2007  at least 342 USA Hamers have been completed.

So that is at least 342 USA Hamers completed in the first 2 weeks of 2007 and then at most 419 USA Hamers completed in the last 50 weeks of 2007 (and part of 2008).

What am I doing wrong in my calculation?

Is there an explanation for this?

Had USA Hamer production already gone that low in 2007?

Can it be that the Serial numbers are given not on completion but on start of building the guitar (although the certificate clearly states "completed on") and does that explain it?

Hope somebody can chime in and enlighten me.

Gabe :) 

11 answers to this question

I own 2 Tallies, too. One Talladega, one Talladega Pro.

My Talladega serial# is 7 55231. And no date on the COA. Just the same words as here: „Talladega, Amberburst“.

My Talladega Pro is 8 56013 - if those numbers after the year indicator are consecutive, those two could to be a late 2007 and an early 2008.

But then your serial# doesn't fit with this date of yours.

Thanks very much for your information.

I think that your Talladega must be an early 2007 as the serial number is before mine and mine has been completed on 17th of January 2007.

And your Talladega Pro is probably indeed an early 2008.

The date on my Custom Order Certificate is what it is: 17th of January 2007.

See picture:

Talladega AG COA.jpg

So that means that the calculation is even shifting further, because it means that in the first 2 weeks of 2007 at least 55756 - 55231 = 525 USA Hamers have been completed and in the rest of 2007 at most 56013 - 55756 = 257 USA Hamers have been completed.

Can this be true?

Anyone with even earlier 2007 or 2008 serial numbers of USA Hamers, so serial numbers starting with 755 or 855 (or 856)?

Gabe :)

Here are my Talladegas.  Not sure if this helps. I wish we had a Talladega registry.  Would like to know how many were made. 

Talladega -  7 55469 the "Kimono Gold" Greg V Talladega Project; no certificate but described in the December 19, 2007 Dantzig's Designer's Workshop blog 

Talladega -  7 55625

Talladega Pro - 8 56174

Talladega Pro - 9 56367 The Jon Herington build; no certificate but described on February and March 25, 2009 in the Dantzig blog

Talladega Pro - 9 56376  custom build

Well Pieman, that is a great collection of Talladega's (and - Pro's).

Especially the Kimono Gold one is a great looker, bet it sounds great too.

Any differences in the sound or playability with regard to the different Talladega's (or the different Talladega Pro's)?

Do they all have the stock pickups?

Ah, and looking at the serial numbers, I see that my Talladega BT 856175 is right after your Talladega Pro 856174.

Yes i also wish we had a Talladega registry!

Edited to add: The Herrington Talladega Pro is also featured in the April, May, and June 2009 Jol Dantzig blogs.

4 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

It is common with a lot of builders, that the serial number is assigned on a neck at some point during the build, but they are not typically all finished in numerical order. 

That's what I was thinking, there should be a logical explanation!

Thanks!

On November 26, 2017 at 11:35 AM, gtrdaddy said:

It is common with a lot of builders, that the serial number is assigned on a neck at some point during the build, but they are not typically all finished in numerical order. 

Yep. I assure you, Hamer wasn't anywhere close to building 500 guitars/month.. That's above most yearly outputs in CT.

To fuel the confusion. My black transparent Tally, according to the COA, has been finished on February 7th, 2008. I bought it used from a guy from Texas about 6 month later.

SN: 8 55796

xqmwDcTjdlu8axO0RixpSgrdz.jpg

So the certificate pictured down here proves that completion date and serial number do not have a clear relation to one another as the serial number of my Talladega AG is 755756 and the completion date is 17th of January 2007 and the Studio Custom of the certificate pictured here has serial number of 755404 with a completion date of 6th of July 2007.

Gabe :o

yAMQJfS.jpg

Archived