Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Finally learned all five.

Been putting this off for years but I’ve finally learned all five pentatonic positions. Does everyone know these. I’ve been out front letting Hamer and Shishkov eat the weeds for the past several days. I can’t leave them by themselves out here so I sit on the porch practicing these, among other things. 

Well, on topic now, I remember I read once about modal pentatonics, but I forgot the details. I can still picture each pentatonic box corresponding to a specific mode, but I never think them like that.

2 hours ago, zorrow said:

Well, on topic now, I remember I read once about modal pentatonics, but I forgot the details. I can still picture each pentatonic box corresponding to a specific mode, but I never think them like that.

How do you think them? Or do you really have to?

2 hours ago, zorrow said:

Meaning the five "blues box" shapes with the rest of the notes in between? 

15 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Once you get them under your fingers in minor and major (shifted down 2 steps, or three frets), the neck really falls into place. The beauty of the 5-pattern, pentatonic box system is that whatever key you're playing in, the scales/modes are already mapped out for you. If you find yourself staying in boxes as you're improvising rock chops, just move up/down to different boxes. It's all the same five notes.

Michael, you might want to try Sam Bell's DVD, "Pentatonic Workout." Does a good job of explaining the 5 boxes and moving through them to create licks. The 3 note/string sequences are especially cool, though they require some warming up as they are very stretchy. Dimebag did a lot of this style of soloing and he always ripped it.

7 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

You must not! :)

But now you ask... I see the pentatonic boxes with diatonic chords superposed on them. I also see two-strings geometrical patterns everywhere, like chunks I can play on different octaves and which are all connected. 

3 hours ago, zorrow said:

You must not! :)

But now you ask... I see the pentatonic boxes with diatonic chords superposed on them. I also see two-strings geometrical patterns everywhere, like chunks I can play on different octaves and which are all connected. 

Diatonic? Supposed? Looks like more work for me today. :P

1 hour ago, Studio Custom said:

Once you can play them E to E, learn to connect them going up and down the neck. 

Yeah, that’s basically how I learned them the last few days and nights. I’d gu up the neck playing them by ear and then memorizing the the pattern until I gat all five. Now I can play each pattern over the same position too. It’s opening things up. Not as good as Phil X yet though. 

On 26.11.2017 at 4:49 PM, Ting Ho Dung said:

Been putting this off for years but I’ve finally learned all five pentatonic positions.

Now you've made the first step, learn the five diatonic patterns with the 2nd step.

I don't know, Mike... That seems precariously close to learning theory.  Next thing you'll be talking about is arpeggios and invererted chords.

Seriously, add some theory to what you're working on.  It may not result immediately in better playing, but once it clicks you'll see a quantuum improvement.  I can't recommend it strongly enough. 

Archived