Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Posting 10 KB Images?

diablo175

Is there some reason why the limit on attached or embedded image size has apparently dropped to 10.4 kb? This seems really small.

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Still shows 2.9mb here. I just successfully uploaded a 2.5mb jpeg. Reboot your browser and try again.

Nope. Keeps telling me "Max total size 0.01MB" and "You are only allowed to upload 10.24 kb"   @hikarateboy ?

10 hours ago, cynic said:

Welcome to net partiality.  The below file is 15kb, but I've got bandwidth for plenty more.

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 7.06.37 PM.png

eta: Is there a max per user total storage?  Maybe you're reached your full capacity?

etaa: there is...have you checked this?

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 7.12.23 PM.png

It seems I've indeed hit my limit. Any suggestions on how do I create more space? Trash some previous attachments?  Does that then remove the image(s) from the old posts?

I don’t do web design anymore but when I started everyone was on the 56k modem deal. I was able to create websites with graphics that loaded quickly by optimizing things. Mostly graphics. This isn’t much of an issue since everyone is on high speed now. But it matters since storage space is always at a premium. When you take a digital photo you are creating a large file. You can compress your JPEGs to save space. I still treat images like they are being viewed with a dialup modem. My images here are compressed and usually less than 200 k. There are programs to compress your pics. I happen to use photoshop because I have it. MS Paint also has a compression feature. I don’t know MACs so do some research. There are also apps for phones. I’m having to figure that out now since my PC has been down since the hurricane.  A long way to compress your photos is to upload them to FB and then save it back to your device. FB compresses them down to nothing. 

Just for clarity for anyone who needs it, on a Mac, you can open the jpeg in the Preview application.  Then,  you can select Export and then when the dialog sheet opens, select JPEG, dial down the quality, and navigate to where you want to save it.  It also defaults to 150 pixels/inch and you can set that lower as well to give you a smaller file. 

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

Just for clarity for anyone who needs it, on a Mac, you can open the jpeg in the Preview application.  Then,  you can select Export and then when the dialog sheet opens, select JPEG, dial down the quality, and navigate to where you want to save it.  It also defaults to 150 pixels/inch and you can set that lower as well to give you a smaller file. 

Internet is 72 dpi (pixels) so anything more is wasted and makes for a larger file. At least it used to be. 

Sorry for the delayed response on this.  Was on site with a client this week and wasnt keeping up.  @hikarateboy is great but if you want to get my attention faster send me a pm so I am alerted via email as well. 

anyway I will increase the quota which will hopefully help avoid this but also make sure that you upload internet ready images when at all possible so you dont burn up your quota quickly. 

1 hour ago, hikarateboy said:

Sorry for the delayed response on this.  Was on site with a client this week and wasnt keeping up.  @hikarateboy is great but if you want to get my attention faster send me a pm so I am alerted via email as well. 

anyway I will increase the quota which will hopefully help avoid this but also make sure that you upload internet ready images when at all possible so you dont burn up your quota quickly. 

I had indeed used up my quota in high pixel count images. I've since gone back and culled those out. I'll make certain I knock down the image sizes before posting.

29 minutes ago, Studioplayer said:

I'm having the same issue when trying to,post a picture of my Studio Deluxe.  I use an iPad camera function to take the picture.

I get a 1003kb limit message when trying to upload it.

Studioplayer

Read what I posted about compressing your images. 

As you might expect pictures take up disk space which means more cost from my web host so only supporting members can upload larger sized photos.   1000kb = 1mb which actually should be plenty for most though if you compress as Ting Ho Dung mentions

How much of this, if any, is a result of the loss of Photobucket? I know that now I load pics directly here that before I would have put on PB and linked. I just don't load near as many pictures as I used to.

Archived