Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Duesenberg guitars?

Pieman

I think they're freaking cool. They look, play and sound terrific. I've encountered only a couple in the wild and they were sweet enough to make my list (the same list that Hall and Oates has got going...). 

I haven't tried one yet, but I am looking for their Les Trem II stoptail retrofit trem. 

I believe Zorrow has a Duesy V, or he did. 

I own one. It's a Rocket, which is their take on the Flying V. Mine's the first version of that model, with the symmetrical wings. It's a stunning guitar from every single point of view, an excellent example of German craftsmanship.

Sadly, I never play it. I might sell it, actually, but it's such a unique piece of gear! Also, all this CITES crap is too dissuasive for me as a seller. :(

I will post some pics later.

This is a pic I found online. The one I own is exactly like that one, just with the V-shaped original case.

As promised, I will take pics of the actual thing and share them here later, but you guys can have fun with this one in the meanwhile: :) 

IMG_6761.JPG

16 minutes ago, zorrow said:

I own one. It's a Rocket, which is their take on the Flying V. Mine's the first version of that model, with the symmetrical wings. It's a stunning guitar from every single point of view, an excellent example of German craftsmanship.

Sadly, I never play it. I might sell it, actually, but it's such a unique piece of gear! Also, all this CITES crap is too dissuasive for me as a seller. :(

I will post some pics later.

Sweet! I'm in CITES safe Ontario....;) 

9 minutes ago, ArnieZ said:

German Brand but I don't believe they are made in Germany

ArnieZ

The power of assumption had me thinking they were, coupled with the typical going price for them...Seems as though the woodwork is Korean, all hardware and setup are German. I don't mind that notion, per se, except the guitar shouldn't cost 3k...or even close to what they charge for..

16 minutes ago, ArnieZ said:

German Brand but I don't believe they are made in Germany

ArnieZ

Mine was --well, at least it's labeled as German, and does feel as a superior instrument, no BS.

Just now, zorrow said:

Mine was --well, at least it's labeled as German, and does feel as a superior instrument, no BS.

Not doubting it. Mike Campbell and Joe Walsh are fans, among others. They're certainly not amateurs. 

I had no qualms with any I played. 

5 minutes ago, Sugartune said:

Not doubting it. Mike Campbell and Joe Walsh are fans, among others. They're certainly not amateurs. 

I had no qualms with any I played. 

I have a friend who was actually who introduced me to them. He owns the LP-ish model. Also a great instrument.

1 minute ago, zorrow said:

I have a friend who was actually who introduced me to them. He owns the LP-ish model. Also a great instrument.

Starplayer? Those are the ones I've played. A solid body and a Semi-Hollow. 

22 minutes ago, Sugartune said:

Starplayer? Those are the ones I've played. A solid body and a Semi-Hollow. 

Like this one:

duesenberg-dtvmc-z.jpg

Just now, zorrow said:

Like this one:

duesenberg-dtvmc-z.jpg

Ah man. That's a nice one! But yeah, like that one. The other one (I'm active today on the board...procrastinating working on my 2018 work budget)..was a 49'er. The Solid body.

Yep, its on TGP. Must be true. Korean body/neck by Mirr (They also make Reverend Guitars) 

I bought a used Double Cat 12 string on Reverb about a year ago and love it. Very well made, nice shaped neck, good electronics/hardware and stays in tune like a champ. It has come to every gig this year and I am using it currently on three tunes that we do. Cool sound.

Duesenberg 1.jpg

2 hours ago, Sugartune said:

Korean body/neck by Mirr (They also make Reverend Guitars) 

I find that interesting in that the step-style pickguards on Duesenberg (see photos in all above posts) and the USA built Reverends (see below) remind me of one another.  I had wondered if there was an affiliation.

G-PG-early-late.jpg

This crossed the bench about a year ago and I was quite impressed. If you want one hollowbody in the stable, you can't find a Newport :) and are split between an ES and a Gretsch, this is a superb cross between them.

15085746_1613330132302498_80783746458444

Although they had never been my cup of tea guitars, Duesenbergs sell well for many years over a German parts provider Rockinger located in the same city Hanover, Germany. For many years, I have had the impression Duesenbergs were a Rockinger brand though. And I still think there is a personal relationship between both company owners.

https://www.rockinger.com/index.php/en

20 hours ago, Sugartune said:

The power of assumption had me thinking they were, coupled with the typical going price for them...Seems as though the woodwork is Korean, all hardware and setup are German. I don't mind that notion, per se, except the guitar shouldn't cost 3k...or even close to what they charge for..

Yup, that's true. I think they are only assembled in Germany. Not sure all parts are Germany though, might be so. They ones I've tried have been nice. Nothing compared to my Hamer's, but they have some cool designs. Prices are way too hight though, for an Asian guitar.

The 4 I tried sure didn't impress me much; in fact, I was wondering what all the fuss about them was, actually.  They play and sound like offshore Hamers at about 3-4X the price.  They look purty tho' - nice and blingy.  

16 hours ago, ArnieZ said:

so...My comment was not made to denigrate, I have never played one

just information

ArnieZ

Sorry, didn't mean to denigrate, if I did. Just spouting the info as I know and see it. 

They seem to be popular with some high profile pros. 

Archived