Hamer Fan Club Message Center

This was a good read.

bubs_42

I've likewise been patiently waiting for the advent of the Working Man Shishkov. 

I am convinced it will come and, forgive me if this is HFC heresy, given the incredible leap in quality from Hamer to Shishkov, the WMS is an amazing thing to contemplate!  

But a WMS priced for the WM infers more 'production' than hand-crafted, which is quite another evolution of the brand, and one Mike may or may not desire.

I for one really appreciate a hand made guitar. Having said that, I also love a good consistent CNC made guitar and then hand finished. Jackson, Carvin/Kiesel and others have turned to this and they come out really/really nice. Now with that been said, it hasn`t lowered the prices any. They still keep going up quickly!!

I had just assumed this was an old notion, prior to settling on the idea of the Ultimate run. Followed by that, things just keep going with the CO's. They're out of my snack bracket at the moment, so I'd be keen to see what comes of the Working Man's Shishkov, if it does indeed happen.

That thread though...ha ha.  

2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Well at what point does the "WORKING MAN'S GUITAR" become the "EVERYTHING AXE"? 

When it becomes more than 1 pickup with many options for that, offers multiple finish and wood options, varying scales, different bridges...

Oh wait, maybe that's why he just went the custom route. Even the Ultimate run got a tad bit out of hand from the initial spec'd offerings.

Back to that topic though. Working man's guitar is a single HB LP jr. type (or Hamer Special), one or two opaque finish options, no binding, no/little body contours, dot markers, probably maple fretboard or at least something not Rosewood. Simple. One option would be a HB sized P90. Or, check these out....https://shop.monikerguitars.com/rival-series/ 

You can customize and still have affordability....Another option, though more expensive, but appears to be a bit better overall, including variety of options...is the Kauer Titan series. http://www.titanguitars.com/

Pretty cool shit, in my books. Those seem like great options/examples of Working Man's Guitars. Possibly even the Working Lady's Guitar.  ;) 

30 minutes ago, Sugartune said:

When it becomes more than 1 pickup with many options for that, offers multiple finish and wood options, varying scales, different bridges...

Oh wait, maybe that's why he just went the custom route. Even the Ultimate run got a tad bit out of hand from the initial spec'd offerings.

Back to that topic though. Working man's guitar is a single HB LP jr. type (or Hamer Special), one or two opaque finish options, no binding, no/little body contours, dot markers, probably maple fretboard or at least something not Rosewood. Simple. One option would be a HB sized P90. Or, check these out....https://shop.monikerguitars.com/rival-series/ 

You can customize and still have affordability....Another option, though more expensive, but appears to be a bit better overall, including variety of options...is the Kauer Titan series. http://www.titanguitars.com/

Pretty cool shit, in my books. Those seem like great options/examples of Working Man's Guitars. Possibly even the Working Lady's Guitar.  ;) 

Good point, maybe we should call it the "Working Musicians Guitar". 

I still hope the WMG becomes reality....what would be a realistic price point in 2018?

I can envision a simple guitar with a thin coat of nitro or urelac  or whatever finish Mike settled on....left satin...or an oil finished neck if that’s easier & cheaper....no bling extras.

Simple with very few options...yet still have the Shishkov quality and most importantly, the sound.

Mike already seems ridiculously busy in the best way, but I could see him adding these and selling a boatload. 

But the price point will determine everything. 

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

......maybe we should call it the "Working Musicians Guitar". 

....or the 'Oxymoron Guitar'.  Sell it for $9.99 and take monthly payments.

I love plain 1 pickup guitars. The only thing I don`t like is a single wraparound bridge or a hardtail like a hardtail strat bridge or a Wilky style bridge. A tunamatic bridge with a stop bar or strings thru the body is nice or an Original Floyd or Kahler Pro. I imagine most hear would pick a Tunamatic or single Wraparound bridge.

For me, the LP Jr. and/or Melody Maker is the Gibson-style epitome of the "working man guitar". No bling. No contouring. the telecaster of the G-brand world.

So basically a Shishkov Special, with P90s or Humbuckers.

13 hours ago, black magic said:

I love plain 1 pickup guitars. The only thing I don`t like is a single wraparound bridge or a hardtail like a hardtail strat bridge or a Wilky style bridge. A tunamatic bridge with a stop bar or strings thru the body is nice or an Original Floyd or Kahler Pro. I imagine most hear would pick a Tunamatic or single Wraparound bridge.

Having owned one, I'd prefer a sustainblock style bridge to a TOM or trem.

Yep, pretty much why this never went anywhere. I think something will come along and present itself, then the guys that are truly willing to pony up will and the naysayers do what they do. IMHO a WMG Guitar would appeal to a guy that needs a work horse of a guitar, simple by design, comfortable to play and uncompromising tone. It doesn't exactly mean a 1k guitar with a few options. I know there are guys like me out there on this board that have played or owned just about everything under the sun, but when its go time you reach for the one guitar the is most comfortable that allows you to get the job done with out thinking about. Its not about the top, its not about the color, its about tone. 

9 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Used to be, but those prices keep creeping up. 

I always thought used Hamers were under priced anyway.   But there are Hamer USA options out there for less than $1,300.  If those don't tickle your fancy, the higher end Epiphones LPs  are a viable option. 

I keep telling everyone that says "I can't afford it" to at least let Mike prove they can't afford it. If you don't ask you will never know. My Semi-Hollow is almost done and the next one is in line somewhere down the line. Both guitars I've ask for were not exactly "stock" items at the time of ordering. But I took a look at what he had hanging in the window and then I asked him if he had anything good hanging in the back. ;) 

Archived