Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NCD

diablo175

Per my post in Ask The HFC Experts, I've snagged this '98 Marshall 1960B flat front 4 x 12 in a bid to remedy the lack of "oomph"  in my guitar tone.

Welcome to Oomph-ville.

image.png

13 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Very cool!  If only it had a green grill cloth.  :lol:

It would be easy enough to spray green checks on there but, not all of my axes have that same color or design...

Nice, dude! G75s or V30s? Nothing moves air like a gen-u-wine Marshall straight cab.

I still gig with my Bogner straight cab because it sounds so godly. Don't give a rats ass if it's heavy. As long as I can still lift it safely, I'll use the dang thing.

On 12/3/2017 at 12:24 PM, DaveH said:

That's awesome! So how are you liking it?

Loving it! Definite discernible improvement in oomph! I'll be anxious to see how the rest of the band reacts (if at all) during rehearsal this weekend.

Amp/new cab report:

After using the new cab in conjunction with the newly revamped head (new tubes and transformer) during a full fledged, bona fide  band rehearsal, I am happy to report this set up kicks all sorts of major ass! And while it's easy to dismiss my jubilant, glowing review and exaltation as customary hyperbole, I really am floored by how much better this rig sounds. My Cali's have taken on new sonic dimensions and fullness!

The band noted how much more of my playing they could actually hear though that may not be a good thing. :P Some unwanted volume issues did also come up as a result of my new rig set up but the  oomph was both tangible and impressive. The clarity was noteworthy despite the low down, dark and dirty being a little bit more ominous.

I cannot wait to use this in a gig situation, and lucky for me, I have one coming up this weekend! :D Sadly, this is the joint I posted about in Sept. that has an owner who is volume shy and would not appreciate the beauty of a hard driven Marshall JVM 205 thru a badass 1960B flat front cab.  :lol: It's sort of shame this rig wasn't in place back at Nov's gig at the airplane hangar. We did a benefit show where we didn't rely on in-ears, instead, using a couple of huge monitors behind us to both provide our monitoring as well as projecting to the audience. We also dialed up our amps to help project and I found my rig lacking then. If I had this current one, it would've been a vastly different story!

5 minutes ago, DaveH said:

AWESOME report! As for the "volume shy owner".... BURN BRIDGES, baby!!! :lol:

Tempting except we have 4 more gigs after, lined up for 2018  :P  Don't wanna burn them bridges too badly.

Luckily, this cab sounds sweet at any volume. Not sure it will be clearly conveyed via PA mic-ing but it's gotta be somewhat improved.

3 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Like anything else, it depends on how it's done. 

I'm open to any suggestions the board has for accomplishing that.

A number of ways to approach.  First is simply with mic placement.  Move further off the center of the cone and maybe a couple inches out if you have the space and enough volume.  Another thing I might do, is take a split and use two channels in the PA.  Then, EQ one channel as normal.  The second channel, EQ to accent what you think is missing.  Then you can blend as necessary.   Yet another way to approach is to use a Hughes and Kettner RedBox between amp and cab for your second channel.   There are a number of options to set on it in addition to the EQ, so more variation and a second source rather than a simple split.    

Hopefully something in there is helpful. 

Red_Box5_4-150x150.jpg

17 hours ago, sixesandsevens said:

Congrats!  What was your rig before this?

Stock Marshall JVM 205 50W head on a Marshall M412A.

The M412A was their budget 4 x 12 offering at the time (don't think they make it anymore) and I was initially stoked as it sounded better than the Kustom HV100  Series 4 x 12 I had before that.

Archived