Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Schecter PT Saturn 1980s 2 Tone Burst

Very hard to come by 1980s Schecter PT/Saturn in EXCELLENT condition.
Plays great.
Beautiful finish on really nice woods.
Feels like quality guitars of old.
Everything works excellently.
Hardshell Case included.
These guitars are rare, and I have NEVER seen one in as great condition as this one. Not even close.

https://reverb.com/item/7156826-schecter-pt-saturn-1980s-2-tone-burst

10 hours ago, cynic said:

Having a pic of that beater in this thread is misleading. I thought you were helping the OP by posting a pic of his.  

Assuming that you're not kidding: the Schecter that's pictured is worth many, many times more than what the OP's (fine, no doubt) PT would sell for.

This one has a koa body, Z+ pickups, and (likely, because two-piece necks came pretty late in the game, and this one's got other, earlier features) a solid rosewood, pau ferro, or shedua neck. It was made from parts that were all produced in the small Van Nuys shop, rather than assembled from imported parts, in Dallas, as the PT, that's for sale, is. ARM OF HAMER's PT was far rarer, and about as good as it gets, as far as (drastically reimagined) Fender-style instruments, from any era.

Not a knock on the PT for sale here, though. It looks very nice, and Dallas-era PTs certainly have their fans.

Apologies, if you were joking!

Well stated Mr.JB and my thoughts when I posted,That was a pic of one I owned that was time worn and well loved.Not misleading at all IMO just saying I owned this  one and that they are fine guitars and that the early Van Nuys produced Schecters are sought after and have risen in value. That being said I'd have no problem owning the OP guitar[Great looking instrument BTW] and wish him the best of luck with the sale.

4 hours ago, The Shark said:

If it were black, I'd already be sending the dough.  Such great guitars!

you mean an early one like this?  Has PAF Pros in it now but I still have the originals with covers and was just recently thinking of parting with it in order to help fund a dream guitar I've lusted after for years.  What's it worth?

pt.jpg

headpt.jpg

That's from the Dallas-era, but not from the beginning of that period (which would be '84).

Probably '85 or later, in which case the original, covered pickups would've been made by Schaller - not Van Nuys-made Superocks, like Townshend used (in addition to their predecessor, the Z+) in his earlier, Van Nuys Schecters. In their case, early would be '79-'83, for shop-built guitars.

The fetish for Van Nuys PTs -and their scarcity- has spilled over into the more common Dallas PTs (or "Saturns," as they were -ultimately- officially known), so they seem to have risen from $700/$800 up to around $1,000 to $1,200. Marketplace confusion sometimes yields those higher prices, especially when a B.I.N. eBay listing and one enthusiastic buyer is involved. They kind of swing wildly throughout that range, though.

2 hours ago, hikarateboy said:

you mean an early one like this?  Has PAF Pros in it now but I still have the originals with covers and was just recently thinking of parting with it in order to help fund a dream guitar I've lusted after for years.  What's it worth?

pt.jpg

headpt.jpg  Van Nuys or not thats a cool guitar Ted!

16 hours ago, cynic said:

Having a pic of that beater in this thread is misleading. I thought you were helping the OP by posting a pic of his.  

Well ..............................The guy I sold it to was over the moon to have bought it from me.....................if you ever want to sell that guitar please..............It was not as you put it a "BEATER", just very well played from many gigs through the years. It was refretted once by me that is all. Way beyond anything Fender was making  which is why I wanted it.Out of 50 guitars I had at the time that was the only "TELE" I owned and how it looked should speak to how much it was played and enjoyed.....................I should not have let it go but well you can not keep them all.

1 hour ago, Jim Browne said:

That's from the Dallas-era, but not from the beginning of that period (which would be '84).

Probably '85 or later, in which case the original, covered pickups would've been made by Schaller - not Van Nuys-made Superocks, like Townshend used (in addition to their predecessor, the Z+) in his earlier, Van Nuys Schecters. In their case, early would be '79-'83, for shop-built guitars.

The fetish for Van Nuys PTs -and their scarcity- has spilled over into the more common Dallas PTs (or "Saturns," as they were -ultimately- officially known), so they seem to have risen from $700/$800 up to around $1,000 to $1,200. Marketplace confusion sometimes yields those higher prices, especially when a B.I.N. eBay listing and one enthusiastic buyer is involved. They kind of swing wildly throughout that range, though.

You are correct its Dallas but it is an A serial so would that not mean the beginning of that period (84)?  I thought I had read that before.  Were the ones with the TM after schecter earlier than the ones with just schecter on it.  Thought I heard that was added later.   Any links for good information on these.  seems like internet is flood with info on the new stuff so hard to find on the old.

Not expect a mint for it just something reasonable to roll into something else.

2 minutes ago, cwgatti said:

Mine is an "A" serial #

Sorry, wasn't meaning to highjack your thread.  Black was just mentioned so I jumped in and then found people that knew something about these cause very few seem to.  Yours is a beautiful guitar. 

2 hours ago, hikarateboy said:

pt.jpg

headpt.jpg

I'll give ya...

...wait for it...

$350!

1 minute ago, cwgatti said:

What do you want for your black one hikarate?

To be quite honest, I hadn't even thought about it until this popped up put 2+2 together that I might be better served if turned it in to a partial payment for one of my dream machines.  I guess I'd have to look around but expect something fair for both buyer and seller.  What do you think would be fair.  feel free to pm me if you prefer to discuss more. 

6 hours ago, Jim Browne said:

Assuming that you're not kidding: the Schecter that's pictured is worth many, many times more than what the OP's (fine, no doubt) PT would sell for.

My point being it wasn't representative of the guitar being sold, regardless of reason.

Maybe it's just me, but I figure if there's going to be a photo of a guitar in a for sale thread, it should be of the guitar that's for sale.

Without further ado:

dsmcjt8nebqw12bmiqtx.jpg

7 minutes ago, cwgatti said:

Where did u get this pic?

I assume Cynic got off the "Reverb" listing..................its on there...................Nice guitar................... Love the grain/figure of the wood.

Because Schecter started business as one of the first aftermarket companies for parts, including necks and bodies, it can be hard to determine year of manufacture since these early guitars assembled from parts did not have serial numbers.

Sometimes serial numbers may be found on the ends of necks or neck pockets, and many times on the neck plate.

Schecter has changed ownership several times over the years, so we have limited information on models that were made prior to 1996. Generally, though, you can use the information below as a rough guideline to determine year of manufacture:

S serial number usually means from Van Nuys era
A, B, or G and 4 digit serials are usually from Texas-era Schecter from the mid to late 80’s
Serial numbers starting with 92 that have 5 digits = early 90’s
Serial numbers starting with 96 that have 6 digits are from late 90’s

Current USA Production/Sun Valley, CA
Example: 13-06001
First 2 digits (13) = YEAR, next 2 digits (06) MONTH, Last 3 digits (001), place in that month’s production. So the code listed above would be the first guitar in June production of 2013.                            INFO FROM THE WEB.

9 minutes ago, cwgatti said:

This one has same config as mine. This is a 1982 or earlier midel.

82_schecter_gold_tor.jpg                       There is one on Reverb that was one of  Pete's actual guitar's .........................a 1980 Schecter  for........... https://reverb.com/item/3380169-schecter-telecaster-ex-pete-townshend-the-who-1980-natural35K.https://reverb.com/item/3380169-schecter-telecaster-ex-pete-townshend-the-who-1980-natural

Archived