Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PICKUP GEEK ALERT!

bubs_42

Seriously, after just stock piling various old Dimarzio's, and Duncan's. I though I had gone down that rabbit hole and came out on the other side. Well, I found one pickup that I wanted and told myself "No, don't do it you will never find the matching pickup". Well then about 12 hours later BAM, matching pickup located by shear luck. So I bought one and had to wait an auction out for the other one. So know it looks like my LP is going under the knife tomorrow. 

6OjaojN.jpg

fF0sAY2.jpg

Here is what I pulled out of the R8 and I didn't think they sounded bad at all. That is why I've had the guitar this long and haven't touched the pickups. I couldn't wait and had a few minutes to kill. I've played the first Slash Signature guitars in 2006 and loved the pickups through a class a amp and they are just as I remembered. Only issue is the middle position, not a fan. 

j3BFybB.jpg

tseIA8G.jpg

54 minutes ago, RobB said:

Then why are you installing the Alnico II’s in your LP?

Middle position has nothing to do with the type of Mag. They are just out of Phase, but less like Peter Green and more like Jimmy Page . Which can be a usable tone just not for everything. Whats great about these is they are Alnico II but still have some bite. The neck is bluesy but actually has some top end and clarity. 

15 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Middle position has nothing to do with the type of Mag. 

I know that. I am asking, if you don't like the middle position of the Alnico Pro II HB set, then why are you installing them in your LP? Why not get a set of pickups that has a more pleasing middle position sound?

Personally, like Jakeboy, I LIKE the middle position humbucker sound. If the pickups are adjusted right there are plenty of sounds to get with just the switch/pots. The WB Peter Green I have gets that authentic tone, but I'm a little fatigued with the PG sound in and LP.

The ubiquitous, JB/'59 set in my FGN LP Custom sound killer, and I thought I had tired of that combo, too. I'm leaving that guitar stock.

14 minutes ago, RobB said:

I know that. I am asking, if you don't like the middle position of the Alnico Pro II HB set, then why are you installing them in your LP? Why not get a set of pickups that has a more pleasing middle position sound?

Personally, like Jakeboy, I LIKE the middle position humbucker sound. If the pickups are adjusted right there are plenty of sounds to get with just the switch/pots. The WB Peter Green I have gets that authentic tone, but I'm a little fatigued with the PG sound in and LP.

The ubiquitous, JB/'59 set in my FGN LP Custom sound killer, and I thought I had tired of that combo, too. I'm leaving that guitar stock.

Typically they are not our of phase, this was just the luck of the draw. We will see how it goes, I may just sell both sets an order a set from Josh, i'm sure we can come up with something to my liking. 

Good call. I almost always go an out of phase sound for that middle position. Not only in LPs but in most 2H guitars, it seems once I set the bridge pickup (my primary one) to my tastes and then set the neck pickup to match the bridge in volume/perceived output, the "both" position is inevitably a repeat of one of the "only" positions and basically a useless, wasted position. On the other hand, if I intentionally set in-phase pickups to get three unique tones, one or both of the "only" positions sounds like meh vanilla whatever.

I don't use the middle out of phase a lot, but a position used sparingly beats a position that's useless and subsequently never used at all.

This is the worst addiction of all because it can be so budget friendly.   My mirage is sporting a VEH in the bridge and it sounds great.  Coaxing brighter tones from this  particular guitar has been a quest. Ironically, the cheapest pup I've had in a box sitting around forever is now coupled with Josh's killer p90 in the neck.   In the middle position the pups yield a full spectrum of sound.   Now what do I do with all the other pups I've accumulated trying to get this guitar right?  Instead of flushing the contents of your wallet in one huge swoosh,  this addiction does it with steady never ending drops.  

I flipped the mag this evening in a matter of a couple of minutes. Done deal and they sound great! Absolutely love these in this guitar, damn neck pickup has bite and takes a slide like no other. I can't wait to put this in Dragans has on the 16th, so he can put it through the paces. 

Wait, shhhhhhhh, turn off that TV.   and yes of course the radio in the car too!   The Peter Green mod is completed.  The first time it is powered up we can all hear the Chorus of Angels. Lets hope that it is not a strong aurora borealis day when ol' PG gets juiced.  Those damn auroras.... always carelessly throwing their neutrons & protons around our magnetic field!  The nerve.<_<

Archived