Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So who snagged the $860 4-digit Standard bass?

On 12/5/2017 at 10:50 PM, mrjamiam said:

And people have been saying that prices were going up....

It's not that  the prices are going up. It's sellers, who want more for their guitars. But in most cases those high priced guitars just collect dust. They sell Gibby 25/50 for $4K+ but you can get one on the same ebay for 2-2.2,  4 digit Sunburst ( as we saw) was hanging for almost a week for 1690 with no real bites, Standard 4 digit went for under $2K ( kahlerized, but still..), Cali elites 1.1-1.4 in custom paints, Standard with crazy maple top crowned, bound w/bound HS for 2.3 or so. And all of those are visible to thousands of people. So that Standard bass for 900+ shipped, I wouldn't call it extraordinary cheap. If I didn't buy Gibson Explorer Bass from 85 a week ago, I'd probably take it. 
      About  couple months ago the guy puts up Vintage S for sale ( may be it was someone from the board, do not know), nice top and all - $1500 if I'm not mistaken. You can call me cheap, but I throw in an offer of 850. I get called lowballer along with something else, but nicely enough he thanks me for the offer. Two weeks later it's 1350, then 1200, last I saw it $1050 and it sold for $950. Hell, if seller countered me for a grand I'd probably take it.
     And no one wants to look realistically at what they sell. The guy will offer you a beat to shit cali std for the price of O'Connor painted Elite and will try to convince you. It's a strange world sometimes...most of times

10 hours ago, george4th said:

Or you could buy this...also for sale under said sellers account via the bay...

IMG_2826.jpg

With this character I would not be surprised to hear that he posted a picture of the bronco in the back in the auction listing, and shipped the bronco in the front to the winner!  

21 hours ago, chromium said:

My opinion:  bad time of year for many, as discretionary income is funnelling into the holidays... and I can't help but think about the fact that this one is sorta spec'd out like a Blitz (same head too) - without the benefit (IMO) of a P pickup.  I've used J/J configs to good effect, but I do know folks that avoid them.

Really cool bass - no doubt there - but when you can get something visually and functionally similar in a $800-1k Blitz, Im not too suprised about the sale price.  Not sure the 4-digit rarity factor alone would resonate with most folks outside of this place.

Besides the J/J configuration, I don't see anything that makes this a Standard and not a Blitz.  The serial number would be from late 83 to early 84, which is during the time they were making Blitz basses.  There's no binding, no flame top.  And the gold hardware can be found on regular Blitz basses.  Honestly, to me it just looks like it got a four digit serial number due to the J/J custom order.   Just my .02.

34 minutes ago, Cary said:

Besides the J/J configuration, I don't see anything that makes this a Standard and not a Blitz.  The serial number would be from late 83 to early 84, which is during the time they were making Blitz basses.  There's no binding, no flame top.  And the gold hardware can be found on regular Blitz basses.  Honestly, to me it just looks like it got a four digit serial number due to the J/J custom order.   Just my .02.

EXACTLY!  That's been my point all along.  What evidence is there that this is a Standard and not a Blitz with a 4 digit serial?  Someone enlighten us please...

A huge explorer bass with a giant case is not an easy sale.   Only the most ambitious of the Flipper types want to pay shipping two ways on that behemoth of  a case but I could be wrong.   

12 hours ago, Cary said:

Different body, different neck joint...

So I was in on this auction up to 850....

What kept me away from just diving in and getting it was the fact that it has a mahogany top,  If not a solid mahogany body, and a deteriorating topcoat If I were really going all in for a standard bass, it needs a maple cap, and to be in better condition. 860 (or whatever it would've gone for) was a little much to own an oddball standard in poor shape.

3 hours ago, tommy p said:
On 12/7/2017 at 12:35 AM, george4th said:

IMG_2826.jpg

Are you serious?

Hey - the other side is mint.

On 12/7/2017 at 1:35 AM, george4th said:

IMG_2826.jpg

In any such CL ad here in NC, you would find "Good work truck" in the description.

Caveat emptor.

Archived