Hamer Fan Club Message Center

BEST PLAYING GUITAR? Hmmmmmm.........

What was or is [If you currently own it] the best playing guitar you had the pleasure of owning. Regardless of who made it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from the Shishkov, which I feel like is a bit of a ringer, probably this SG Standard I bought.  Run of the mill, 2009, but man it plays nicely.  

I had an ASAT Classic awhile back that was fantastic.  I still have no idea why I sold it.  

As far as a Floyded hot rodded strat, a beat up Japanese Kramer Pacer played like freakin' butter. There was something going on with that baby. I really regret selling it now, but at the time Kramer market was red hot, and I was trying to fund a VHT Pitbull UL.

Kinda ironically, the two other guitars that I considered best playing,  I've never owned. A unassuming Levinson Blade strat (played better than any strat I've played), and a....hang on to your butts...a Heritage 355 copy. That thing was laser fast.

36 minutes ago, veatch said:

I'd put all three of the Shishkovs at the top of the list.  Followed by a Huber Dolphin i had (foolishly sold) and then the Triple Threat.

Eh, who am i kidding.  I am a friend of all guitars.  They're all good.

All three Shishkovs???? Fucker......:)

my Shishkov Ultimate 0006 is the best playing guitar I have ever played or owned..,closely followed by my avatar Artist,  which has a neck to die for.

1 hour ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

The Talladega neck is one of my favorites but I think my Huber Krautster II takes the prize for best play and feel. 

xeuwdq3y2ghlws3ghzqf.jpg

NikHuberKrautsterGoldTop.jpg

The K-IIs are tough to beat, but their older sibling (Dolphin) remains my numero uno.

36248892635_f551e7dfaa_b.jpg

Similar neck joint, but longer scale. Surprisingly, the KII on the left (below) seems to play better, but maybe it is just the reduced weight due to chambering.

38887724151_79dad95e42_k.jpg

A dear friend of mine keeps saying that the Newport is the best guitar I own. So I stick to this.

Martin EM-18 sorry no pics and its long gone.  Why?   Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

and a very purty '89 Fender Strat Deluxe Plus.  Still got it.  During The Historic Purge of 2012-2016 Pearly Red simply refused to step forward to take a bullet.  She held on for her life to the bottom of the box spring. Thru 3 relocations.  Ah Pearly Red, thanks for sticking with me.

We get used to guitars, and that can make us compare every guitar to the one we feel most comfortable playing.  Things like scale length and neck angle are as important as the neck shape. 

Over the years there have been some guitars that I thought were the best playing like my refined/butchered/parts changed 1958 Les Paul Junior that would not stay in tune.  Then there was my 1982 Dean ML with a wavering neck. 

My first Hamer had a thin neck that I liked.  Over time I have gotten used to thicker necks and different shapes.  For right now, my 1982 Sunburst is the guitar that feels the best to me.  In five years that might change, but right now it is what I think is the best player in my collection. 

8642943_orig.jpg

Shishkov U-40; Talladega (gone). The honorable mentions are the newport, Daytona, TLE (g), DT & mirage - the necks keep them from being perfect for me.  The DT-90 and various Studios I've tried just didn't click.  

5 hours ago, gorch said:

A dear friend of mine keeps saying that the Newport is the best guitar I own. So I stick to this.

You know, my Newport feels right every time I pick it up....Hamer really knocked it out of the park with those...

Me and my Les Paul have been together 40 years. It fights me and I fight it back. We have an understanding.

That said, the Hamer 30th Anniversary was something incredibly special.

Honest to goodness, there isn't one. I really don't have a standout ax that surpasses the rest. Each one has a distinct strength or feature (best pickup sound, best sustain, best over tones, best action, best trem response, best neck feel, best ergonomics, etc., with some sharing the same strong point(s).

If and when I ever identify one as the best, I'll be relieved as I won't need the rest and can then use them for firewood. :lol:

For me the top factor would be ergonomics--both the neck and the way the body feels/hangs. You can always modify it electronically if desired.

I've got a couple of custom-made Robins that have incredible necks---one set-in (Savoy), one bolt-on (Rawhide) and the bodies feel fine.

I owned a late-'70s Ibanez Artist in the late '80s that felt great, all over.

As for basses, it'd prolly be a Rick 4001; I have 20/20 hindsight about  about having let several of those go, and wish I had a time machine.

I started trying different shredders when Stike & I got the 80s band together ~2011, 1st Hamers then eventually the Ibanez RG that Stike applied his sparkle magic to (right). Without trying I find myself today playing nothing but Ibbys; my Prestige RGA121 (far left) is the nicest playing guitar I've ever owned. I sold my last Hamer (Duotone, to Geoff Hartwell this summer) because I no longer liked the tiny frets and narrow nut width (and also because the last of the decent paying acoustic duo gigs around here dried up). I really liked my Gibson Midtown, but on longer jazz gigs it was starting to hurt my back (borderline LP weight), so I got a hollowbody Ibby AG75 (middle) which is light as a feather and plays better than the Gibson.

BK gtrs 11-17.JPG

6 hours ago, Brooks said:

I started trying different shredders when Stike & I got the 80s band together ~2011, 1st Hamers then eventually the Ibanez RG that Stike applied his sparkle magic to (right). Without trying I find myself today playing nothing but Ibbys; my Prestige RGA121 (far left) is the nicest playing guitar I've ever owned. I sold my last Hamer (Duotone, to Geoff Hartwell this summer) because I no longer liked the tiny frets and narrow nut width (and also because the last of the decent paying acoustic duo gigs around here dried up). I really liked my Gibson Midtown, but on longer jazz gigs it was starting to hurt my back (borderline LP weight), so I got a hollowbody Ibby AG75 (middle) which is light as a feather and plays better than the Gibson.

+1 on the bigger frets. I've long maintained that there is a difference for me and admittedly its highly subjective but I find that I do play more comfortably on true Jumbos. It's why all my Cali's (save for the C3) have been refretted with Jumbo Stainless.

The one electric I currently own is my Newport.  But a recently departed 1970's Ovation Deacon maybe was "better playing", whatever that means.  It had lower action without buzzing, and I loved the shape of the neck.  But the Deacon was sooo heavy it wasn't fun to play.  Now my 25 yr old daughter owns and loves it.

So the Newport is the current winner of all-time best electric I've ever had.  But there is a new Adamas Viper on the way shortly....

Archived