Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
ARM OF HAMER

BEST PLAYING GUITAR? Hmmmmmm.........

6 hours ago, Brooks said:

I started trying different shredders when Stike & I got the 80s band together ~2011, 1st Hamers then eventually the Ibanez RG that Stike applied his sparkle magic to (right). Without trying I find myself today playing nothing but Ibbys; my Prestige RGA121 (far left) is the nicest playing guitar I've ever owned. I sold my last Hamer (Duotone, to Geoff Hartwell this summer) because I no longer liked the tiny frets and narrow nut width (and also because the last of the decent paying acoustic duo gigs around here dried up). I really liked my Gibson Midtown, but on longer jazz gigs it was starting to hurt my back (borderline LP weight), so I got a hollowbody Ibby AG75 (middle) which is light as a feather and plays better than the Gibson.

+1 on the bigger frets. I've long maintained that there is a difference for me and admittedly its highly subjective but I find that I do play more comfortably on true Jumbos. It's why all my Cali's (save for the C3) have been refretted with Jumbo Stainless.

• Like 1

The one electric I currently own is my Newport.  But a recently departed 1970's Ovation Deacon maybe was "better playing", whatever that means.  It had lower action without buzzing, and I loved the shape of the neck.  But the Deacon was sooo heavy it wasn't fun to play.  Now my 25 yr old daughter owns and loves it.

So the Newport is the current winner of all-time best electric I've ever had.  But there is a new Adamas Viper on the way shortly....

Best playing guitar I've ever owned was an early 2000s Parker Fly Deluxe in "Majik Blue." The guitar was actually too perfect, it not only played itself effortlessly, sounded great and versatile and never went out of tune even when going to town on the non-locking trem, it weighed five featherweight pounds. It was too toyish compared to my traditional guitars and I felt it was better to retain my bond with the old designs rather than embracing the "out there" modern space age stuff.

My trusty '96 G&L Legacy has always been a sick player, but earlier this year I refretted her with 58118s (very jumbos), crisped up her 12" radius, and did an oil finish on the trunk of the neck akin to old skool San Dimas Charvels. This guitar was always comfy like an old pair of jeans, now it's got sick low action coupled with tall'uns for as effortless playing as one could want or need.

20768222_1726207564348087_70215178353289

20800236_1726207467681430_72351499700998

20799358_1726207554348088_65903373468071

• Like 2

Holy crap,  very jumbo is right. Are those frets or hurdles for your fingers?  :P

Edited by veatch

Very cool thread Gary.

I've got 50+ guitars in my collection,but if I had to pick just one that I've HAVE to live with a sell all the others, it'd be my ' 99 Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic.

I played this guitar in A LOT of dance halls , clubs,private parties, and concert stages.

Eric Johnson even got to play it for a few minutes and commented on how light it was and that it played awesome.

Here's a pic of my Tom A

12420772473_91a77fa4d7_b.jpg

12420863613_e224554b75_b.jpg

My '80 LPC ... always grab that one first ...

Len80LPC.jpg

Has to be this one...

Bella Donna_01.jpg

Edited by Gino

While I already cited my long time Numero Uno, I will second the above recommendations of the SuperPro. The korina CO Goldtop on the right is all kinds of wonderful. It complements well the other Monaco with upgraded P-90s on the left. It would be hard to improve on either one and I  cannot imagine them ever going anywhere.

35415478044_aaa85eb10d_b.jpg

Edited by django49

City Limits made for NAMM. Very easy action and playability. Collings leg contour also makes em supremely comfy to play seated. 

rwm6k3S.png

On 12/7/2017 at 7:09 AM, Steve Haynie said:

We get used to guitars, and that can make us compare every guitar to the one we feel most comfortable playing.

This covers my experience perfectly.  My best playing guitar is a $180 (in 1980) Gretsch BST.  Being my only guitar for the better part of twenty years it became my benchmark.  I have guitars with better action and bigger sound, but none bring the comfort I get from twenty years of monoguity.

Yeah, I liked it so much I bought others and with Murkat's help individualized them.  They're all fun, but the one on the far right just feels like home.

1fiFb4x.jpg

The PRS guitars I’ve owned “played” the best but didn’t “sound” the best. SG-style guitars are my go-to for sound and feel. The weight helps, too.

• Like 1

My T51 sounds the best but, for playability, my '89 Cali plays the best. I'm not sure if I'd ever come across one guitar that does everything "best".

McNaught Vintage Single Cut Jr.  The neck is just sooo right for me.

DTM_SCjr_body1997561258.jpg

• Like 1