Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
diablo175

NPD- Gravelins!!!

Josh has very kindly and patiently been working with me to develop his Mongoose pickups. The first(?) iteration went into my Swirled Cali and sounds killer but I had wanted a little more mid range bark and low end articulation. Josh took the challenge and has sent along 3 new ones (along with some cool swag!) 2 of which are the same model but he included some extra pole screws in 1018 and 1022: the type/grade of steel used makes a big difference.  By including extras, I can run them in and out and tweak the tone considerably. The third, as I understand it, is similar to his Cobra wind but with a slug row and roughcast A4 magnet. All are at about 14.2 (+/-) K output.

I foresee a LOT of soldering in my near future... :P

Gravelin Mongoose 2.jpg

• Like 10

Cool logo - great pickups.  :)

• Like 1

Wicked! Love the shirt, too.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:57 AM, diablo175 said:

Josh has very kindly and patiently been working with me to develop his Mongoose pickups. The first(?) iteration went into my Swirled Cali and sounds killer but I had wanted a little more mid range bark and low end articulation. Josh took the challenge and has sent along 3 new ones (along with some cool swag!) 2 of which are the same model but he included some extra pole screws in 1018 and 1022: the type/grade of steel used makes a big difference.  By including extras, I can run them in and out and tweak the tone considerably. The third, as I understand it, is similar to his Cobra wind but with a slug row and roughcast A4 magnet. All are at about 14.2 (+/-) K output.

I foresee a LOT of soldering in my near future... :P

On my Strats, I've installed common shielded wire connectors at the wire-ends, so that I'd have solderless pick-up swapping.  I haven't noticed any difference in sound.  Is there a good reason not to do that?

6 hours ago, Michael_B said:

On my Strats, I've installed common shielded wire connectors at the wire-ends, so that I'd have solderless pick-up swapping.  I haven't noticed any difference in sound.  Is there a good reason not to do that?

Prolly not. Except that I've spent the last couple of years developing and honing my soldering skills to the point where I can do it in around a half hour...  just seems a shame to not use it after taking the time to hone them.  LOL

• Haha 1