Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Vintage PERSONAL band publicity photos

This could be fun: While sorting thru (and getting rid of a lot of) memorabilia, I pulled out some older band publicity photos (the oldest of which was homemade), and noting some of the instruments used by yours truly and others was an interesting time warp. I thunk it might be cool if participants in this forum could post actual "publicity" shots from decades ago, in order to compare instruments (if shown in such images) to what we're using or collecting these days, as well as physical appearance, hairlines and hair length, etc.

Basic guidelines:

Performance photos don't count, unless it was released as a bona fide publicity photo (ain't seen many of those).

Solo shots of you--performance or posed--don't count, unless it was released as a publicity photo for a solo effort.

Submitted for your approval, in chronological order:

1968 (I honestly forgot the name of this short-lived trio, but vaguely recall the moniker may have been esoteric/pseudo-intellectual):

1968.jpg

1974: "McIntosh"

'74-McIntosh.jpg

1976: "Sunstorm"

'76 Sunstorm.jpg

1983: (solo shot for album publicity)

'83 Airplay.jpg

1988: "Executive Rock"

'86 Exec.jpg

These days, nostalgia ain't what it used to be...Others?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

Page 4, midway down, on the right.  Basementality article. 

http://jewlscholar.mtsu.edu/bitstream/handle/mtsu/3271/7808.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Whoo-hoo, my old school!  And more than that - my dad was one of the four department chairs that the guy with 45 years of service on the front page mentioned working under.  Thanks for the time capsule.  We now return you to your originally-schedule topic.

23 minutes ago, mrjamiam said:

Whoo-hoo, my old school!  And more than that - my dad was one of the four department chairs that the guy with 45 years of service on the front page mentioned working under.  Thanks for the time capsule.  We now return you to your originally-schedule topic.

Ha, that's cool!  I did my BS at MTSU. 

Not much of a high resolution scan, but nevertheless, it was media coverage from the The East Carolinian. We made fun of that "staring at a distant ship on the ocean" photo for a few months until we shot a proper replacement in mid '92. Hard to believe we'd only played together a few months at that point. Over the following 12 months, we honed our chops and signed with East Coast Entertainment. Good times.

Mother Nature at New Deli TEC 1992 (2).jpeg

The only promo shot I was ever in was for a fake band.  A friend had been through a couple of performance duo partners who had to leave for different reasons.  So, a few of us who had played together went to a photo studio for band shots.  The idea was that if a full band was needed some of us in the photo would likely be called in to participate, giving the impression that there may have been a lineup change in an otherwise steady working band.

This is from the mid-90's maybe???  I'm the guy in the hat.  We had someone come over and take some shots of us in an effort to make a press kit and be more professional.  This is a shot we all liked but it was slightly out of focus.  Thinking back, that probably suited us at the time!  The band was called (faucet) and yes, the parentheses were part of the name (oooooh, how "alternative" and artsy!), as seen on the one shirt we had made that the bass player is wearing.  We would trade it around so different ones of us got to wear it in the photo session and at the gigs.  I still have it!

1923244_1090744638964_879670_n.jpg

If you follow Rock Candy magazine on Facebook they've been sharing promo shots of obscure and unknown metal hard rock bands from the 80's. You could almost tell which year  the shot was taken depending on which fashion faux pa sp? the band was committing.      hilarious.   

1 hour ago, DaveL said:

If you follow Rock Candy magazine on Facebook they've been sharing promo shots of obscure and unknown metal hard rock bands from the 80's. You could almost tell which year  the shot was taken depending on which fashion faux pa sp? the band was committing.      hilarious.   

They posted dozens and they all looked just alike!  I think I knew 2 of them.

6 hours ago, Brooks said:

bk 87c.jpg

You was in a band called "Blaze"??!! So was I, in around 1984. You stole my thunder man. We might have to battle this out.

Archived