Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Saw A Bunch Of People Last Night - Warren Haynes Christmas Jam

The same friend who got snowed in and had to give up her Trans-Siberian Orchestra ticket had a friend who bailed out on going to Warren Haynes' 29th Annual Christmas Jam in Asheville, NC.  The show was sold out at US Cellular Center.  It was a few minutes past 5:00 PM when I was asked if I would use an extra ticket, and my reply was that if no one local would use it I would take it.  I found out as I was about to drive out of my driveway.  Just in case, I started driving in the direction toward Asheville which worked out well because I was the lucky person who got the extra ticket.  It was 6:45 PM when I got one of the last close parking lot spaces. 

The tickets were for the general admission floor.  We both walked down and found a spot.  My friend decided she could move up closer, but I stayed put because I hate it when latecomers try moving in front of me.  Girls can get away with stuff guys cannot. 

The show started with Warren Haynes on acoustic guitar and Jake Shimabukuro on ukulele playing the Allman Brothers song Melissa with Jake doing all the soloing.  They jammed a couple of tunes then turning it over to Jake being by himself for a song or two.  He runs his ukulele through a looper and plays it like a guitar, even using a little overdrive every now and then. 

Next up was a girl singing country music with a full band that included Joe Kwon from the Avett Brothers on electric bass, not cello.  I never caught her name, but she must be somebody big in modern country. 

During set changes there was a side stage where a few people could stand close together and play.  Jake Shimakbukuro and a piano player named Holly Bowling played three songs in the first side set.  Bowling plays jazzy stuff.  Both of them would accompany others during the night. 

The Avett Brothers came out and played their set of old time country with their modern day presentation.  The cello added to acoustic guitar, upright bass, and banjo makes them a little different.  They were well received.  I had wanted to see them for a while, and now I have. 

When the Avett Brothers finished they moved from the main stage to the side stage to jam with Warren Haynes to play a couple of songs. 

Blackberry Smoke did a set that I wish had been longer.  They are the current state of Southern Rock, and worth seeing.  Charlie Starr had a single cut Les Paul Junior for most of the show.  Paul Jackson had a Les Paul and some kind of hollow body Gibson. 

Between sets Warren Haynes came out to the side stage again.  He brought out Ann Wilson and Jake Shimabukuro to do a couple of songs as the main stage was getting set up for the Trey Anastasio Band. 

When the Trey Anastasio Band started playing the entire concert hall started dancing.  The entire floor was moving.  People in the stands were dancing at their seats.  Trey Anastasio had a guitar that I could not recognize with a hollow or semi-hollow body and a clean tone for his solos.  He had some kind of effect unit set up high enough to just reach over and twist knobs or push buttons.  His bass player sat while playing, and his P-Bass was in a stand rather than strapped over his shoulder.  The keyboard guy had a real Hammond furniture console, a real Rhodes (I think) and few other keyboards taking up a lot of the stage.  When those guys lock into a groove they stay there and hammer it forever.  It was not my kind of music, putting me in a small minority, because for the hour or so they played they owned that audience. 

Warren showed up on the side stage playing with Holly Bowling.  Then it was time for Warren to hit the main part of the stage and play the rest of the night. 

What was next was Gov't Mule, but I may be a little incorrect.  I saw Warren Haynes and Jorgen Carlsson of Gov't Mule, but did not see Matt Abst.  There were two drum sets, one of which was played by Paul Riddle, the original Marshall Tucker Band drummer.  At midnight they started playing Allman Brothers Band songs which made me happy.  Mike Barnes played guitar opposite of Warren as they did all those great harmonies.  Lamar Williams, Jr. was on vocals which I thought was cool since his dad was bass player in the ABB in the 70's after Berry Oakley died. 

They did not start until midnight, and I really could not stick around too long if I wanted to make my self-imposed curfew of not driving after 3:00 AM.   I kept thinking it might be good to leave at 12:30 AM to get home safely.  The highways were clear after the big snow, but some of those people living in the mountains might have some slick back roads. 

The guests started coming out.  Right when I was about to leave Marcus King came out to play Dreams I'll Never See and the next song.  Craig Sorrells came out with a trumpet, and a kid named Brandon "Taz" Neiderauer came out with a guitar, and they all played Southbound.  When they were done it was time to go home even though the show was not over.  They all started playing Whipping Post as I walked out from the floor.  It was 1:04 AM when I walked out of the front doors to the building. 

My friend who got me in was determined to see Ann Wilson on stage with Gov't Mule.  She had not taken the stage by 1:35 AM, but was singing Led Zeppelin and other songs with them within an hour.  After Ann Wilson had finished singing my friend left at 2:51 AM, and the band was still playing.  I was within a few miles of my house by that time.

We texted back and forth and felt that if a show is going to last so long it needs to be an all day festival.  Even for the local people, a show that goes on to 3:00 AM or whenever is not practical.  Being tired after drinking beer or smoking whatever does not help driving home safely. 

I have possibly left one other show early.  It seems like I left something early, anyway.  It bothers me to do that, but I am alive to tell the tale.  I get up early for work every day which makes it hard to drive home late, especially two nights in a row like when there are shows in Atlanta or Charlotte.  I missed the best part of the show, but what I saw was great, although I could live without so much Trey Anastasio.  Just a few songs would be enough for me, but as I said, it was HIS crowd in the concert hall. 

For those of you who like travelling to Asheville, consider getting a hotel room and go see next year's show. 

another great review, steve.

i don't like phish or his solo stuff but have always admired treys playing and tone. he wasn't playing his regular doublecut semihollow blond guitar (landoluc?? custom)..?

paging HHB r/e "warren haynes xmas jam" and mike barnes, ha

On 12/10/2017 at 1:26 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Next up was a girl singing country music with a full band that included Joe Kwon from the Avett Brothers on electric bass, not cello.  I never caught her name, but she must be somebody big in modern country. 

Relix says this was Margo Price.

MargoPrice_0120_DM_copy.59e66bab1fb2e.jp

Great review, as always.  What an incredible opportunity, but I'd never have made it much past midnight...  I get up too early.

Archived