Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Nice little nugget: Brad Whitford and Ronnie Montrose

bubs_42

Every time I hear Montrose play, I always dig out his old stuff with Sammy....I love the way he phrases and even more so the way he plays rhythm. He riffs so well and incorporates chords that are so deceptively simple, yet sound so awesome!

He was a big influence on Greg Martin and I could really hear it in the clip with his band. Greg carries this style forward now. May Ronnie RIP.

Ronnie's a big hero of mine and a major influence.   I loved his work with Gamma.

After a Gamma concert, my buddy, who was dealing vintage guitars at the time,

started chatting Ronnie up, asking if he was looking for anything vintage.  He'd

played the gig with a Gretsch--no shit!  Albeit heavily modified.  Anyway, Ronnie hollers

for his roadie to bring over his stage guitar so my bud could get an idea what kind of

neck he was looking for.  Ronnie was very intense, yet also a totally cool down-to-earth guy.

Right up there with meeting Robin Trower as my fave rockstar moment...

Thanks for sharing the Ronnie Montrose video. One of my favorite guitarists from the northern California Bay Area. The songs, his playing technique especially his vibrato, inspires my guitar playing. Such a shame that he died a senseless death from suicide. The vocalist in the second video, Randy Scoles, is an awesome singer. 

Guitar George

21 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

"If you close your eyes this singer is someone between Sammy Hagar and Paul Rodgers."

^^^
This

On 12/11/2017 at 10:18 PM, Jakeboy said:

Every time I hear Montrose play, I always dig out his old stuff with Sammy....I love the way he phrases and even more so the way he plays rhythm. He riffs so well and incorporates chords that are so deceptively simple, yet sound so awesome!

He was a big influence on Greg Martin and I could really hear it in the clip with his band. Greg carries this style forward now. May Ronnie RIP.

In between songs last night I kept picking at Rock the Nation. Love that song, but I've been playing it wrong so trying to hone it in a bit. Finally our other guitar player/singer looks at me and says "Whats up with that song", "Play it again". So we pile drive into unfortunately the other two guys are not versed in Montrose like we are. That fingering in the bridge sounds easy but i'm still not up to speed. Lucky for me we didn't make it that far! 

Archived