Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Oops, broke my pickup

bkrownd

I was replacing my Hamer USA Standard's aged plastic pickup surrounds and rusty screws with nice new wood surrounds and pickup covers, and I had a slight mishap.  The pickup covers are a tight fit and the tape job around the pickup edges was sloppy, so I was pushing the tape back gently to try to tuck it in and clean up the tape goo on the pickup.  However, it turns out the pickup winding/potting was not tight and in one spot on the bridge the pickup magnet wire was stuck to the outer tape wraps, which broke as I tucked it away.  Hmmm...wasn't quite expecting that.  I probed the wiring to confirm the break.  Well, they were rusty anyway.

Did 2008 USA Standard pickups have identifying information - always, sometimes, or never?  There are no markings or labels on these pickups.

So I'm intending to replacing these rusty pickups with a new Super Distortion and PAF set.  

I'm sure someone could carefully fish the ends of the wire out of there and make a splice, and even polish the rust off the top, but I'm fine with just replacing them with shiny new stuff and keeping the old parts in a box in case of future sale.  I just wanted to tell the story of their unexpected fragility, and I was wondering if the lack of label or ID marks on the old pickup indicates whether they're original Hamer USA pickups or not.  

Send it to Josh, Gravelin Pickups. He can fix it.

Original Hamer pickups were either OEM creme or zebra DImarzio paf's. These have a brass base plate and are stamped "Dimarzio" in to the metal.
Later came the Dimarzio made Slammer pickups. These are marked "Hamer USA Guitars" on the brass baseplate. Also made by Dimarzio.

In the early 1990's Hamer switched to installing Seymour Duncan pickups in most, if not all, of their guitars. These were standard Duncan models such as the '59 paf, or JB humbucker.

In 2008 a Hamer Standard would have Seymour Duncan pickups. If your pickups have no markings what so ever I doubt it's an original factory installed pickup.

So you were replacing the covers when the wire broke?

It doesn't sound like you have stock Duncans. Could have been special order, or replaced.

1. Duncans, except for Antiquities, will have a logo embossed on the bottom of the pickup.

2. In my experience Duncan covers don't rust unless you are in a harsh environment - near the ocean, damp basement, etc.

3. You shouldn't see any tape on the bottom side of a Duncan that came with a factory cover.

Oh fer godz sakes man,  Why are fookin with this.  Get a new pickup and Whammer Jammer in there Dicky.  It will cost less than the blood pressure boost, the broken blood vessel in yer forehead, and the curse-a-palooza coming out of your basement.  Page thru www.seymourduncan.com and pick one out or talk to one of SD's techs and get a recommendation. Simple as that.   Ya gotta ask your self did he fire 6 shots or only 5.

Do you wanna play yer guitar or do you want to make it into a science project.  Do ya feel lucky punk?

Nothing sounds particularly great when my noob fingers are doing the pick'n.  ;)  

What kind of solder and flux do people use for soldering in their guitar?  Just the cheap kind, or is there a better kind?  The right equipment and materials can make a huge difference in the quality of soldering.  

Archived