Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Speaking Of Yamaha THR's...

RobB

Took delivery today of an Audioraxx solid pine, 4-space rack today. Wired everything back up and now have a very usable workstation.

I went back to using the THR5 I bought from tombo. With the supplied software, it is miles better than anything I've used for playing through the powered monitors. I found a patch site where you can download other users' libraries and individual patches. Loving the way it sounds! And to think I was all hot to spend even MORE bread on a Palmer, small tube head, etc., when everything I needed was right in front of me.

53480810239__C88B0A85-D672-4CC8-8A81-44FAC8412E2B.JPG

THe software for those things really is awesome. So much control of the sound. I'm still on the fence about whether installing the cubase AI it comes with is worth it. IT's like 5GB of stuff I'll never use.

Great looking setup!

15 hours ago, RobB said:

I found a patch site where you can download other users' libraries and individual patches. Loving the way it sounds! 

If you load up a patch, does the patch go away when any of the knobs are changed on the box (Treble, for example)?  I had some great presets for my previous THR10 (haven't had time to do any with the new THR10C I bought), but I couldn't change anything about a preset without it reverting back to how the knobs were set.  Maybe there's been a software update.

24 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I'm still on the fence about whether installing the cubase AI it comes with is worth it. IT's like 5GB of stuff I'll never use.

I've posted about my Cubase woes back when I bought the first THR10.  I've (stupidly? But it was FREE!) loaded it on my PC again and can't say I've had any improvement in experience.  I find it infuriating - infuriating that I allow myself to be sucked into spending hours tweaking and setting and have yet to get the first sound out of it.  CAVEAT: part of the problem is my PC is some kind of Dell Media-type that has an excess of settings for the simplest of things.  So I'm fighting Cubase as well as the PC.  If you give it a go, let me know how it turns out.  It could be I just need to scrap my PC.

1 hour ago, velorush said:

Great looking setup!

If you load up a patch, does the patch go away when any of the knobs are changed on the box (Treble, for example)?  I had some great presets for my previous THR10 (haven't had time to do any with the new THR10C I bought), but I couldn't change anything about a preset without it reverting back to how the knobs were set.  Maybe there's been a software update.

I usually adjust using the software UI. I made a copy of the preset library, renamed it and saved. When adjusting a preset, I hit the “save to library”, choose a slot, hit “save.” After some frustration of it not saving, I found it WILL write the (new or edited) patch by going to Menu-File-Save after “saving to library.”

I’m using Mac OSX El Capitan, so this may not be relevant to your issue. 

ETA: I have to use the UI to adjust EQ as the THR5 only sports a tone knob.

Additionally, if you're changing parameters to the original patch library, I found it got a little wonky about saving an edited preset UNLESS you save it in one of the empty "Init" slots. This is ok by me as I like to have the original sounds as a reference, and they aren't too terrible. I did the same thing with my old DG Stomp.

Here is four pages of postings on: guitarpatches.com

And THR patches/libraries from Yamahamusicians.com. Some of the patches/libraries are proprietary to whichever THR series they were created for, i.e., the THRx patches don't work with the 5/10 series. I downloaded individual .ydps patches and .ydl libraries. The U2 one is pretty cool. Many of the patches need tweeking to sound "right" (to my ears, anyway), but they are a great resource to show what the THR series can do.

A. Oh shit, you can hook the THR to powered monitors? I never even thought of that. I have a nice pair of klipsch I'm not even using. :) 

B. Glad you picked up the other Fujigen neo classic from Currypowder. Mine is either my first or second favorite guitar depending on the day  :) 

Archived