Hamer Fan Club Message Center

RIP Pat DiNizio (Smithereens)/Pat DiNizio Tribute Concert at The Basie

crunchee

This TDC stinks! I have enjoyed the bands tunes since first hearing/seeing them 30+ years ago. Tampa Bay radio played them well. Seen a couple great Smithereens shows here too. RIP Pat. We dug the tunes! Thank you sir. B)

I've seen the Smithereens and/or Pat solo a few dozen times that I can distinctly recall, and probably a few more that I can't.  They were always touring, and always put on a great show.  Pat has been in declining condition for the last 12-15 years, and couldn't even hold/play his Strat for the last 4 years or so.  His voice always remained dead on though.

I got to hang with him a few times when I was teching for Turdus' band when the MOC opened.  At one snowy evening gig in Baltimore, he pulled up 20 minutes before showtime in a beat up station wagon and we unpacked his CDs and merch boxes, and he carried out the Strat.  Nothing else.  No amp, no pedals, no mike...just the Strat and merch.  He said he liked to travel light. :D

Pic below of him performing "The Seeker" with the Merchants of Cool at that gig...

Steve_McW_Standard_wPat_D.jpg

That band put out some great music, and many of their tunes epitomized definitive songcrafting, IMO--getting the point across with simple-yet-memorable hooks, great riffs, straight-to-point lyrics, appropriate guitar breaks, and Mesaros' booming Ric bass. I thought they were pretty unique in their heyday. "Only A Memory" was an absolute classic, anchored by a four-chord riff that channeled "Just Like Me" by Paul Revere & the Raiders. While they made some videos, they came across as blue-collar, and didn't need to rely on visuals to get folks to appreciate what they were presenting.

Sad news. I've liked the Smithereens since I first heard them in the 80s and have caught them live a whole bunch of times. They seemed to play pretty steadily over the years, even after original bassist Mike Mesaros left around 2006 (apparently to focus on family).  Within the last couple of years, Mesaros rejoined the band for a handful of shows, and I was fortunate enough to catch three of them in 2017; one at Daryl's House in NY and two consecutive shows in July at the Wonder Bar in Asbury Park, NJ.  I'm pretty sure those Asbury Park shows were the last gigs the original lineup played together before Dinizio's passing (get out and see the bands you like when you have the chance...you just never know when the last time might be).  I'm glad I made the effort to get out and see those shows...Mesaros was amazing and the entire band just killed it.   Mesaros did say that the band was working on new material, implying maybe it may be out sooner rather than later, stating "Well, we're not getting any younger".

As someone here mentioned, Dinizio had some persistent health challenges - over time, he'd gained some weight, and had taken a couple of serious falls in recent years resulting in him having a tough time getting around as well as the loss of mobility in his arms.  At this years shows, someone had to hold a cup for him to drink out of with a straw. He hasn't played guitar on stage in a long time, but his voice has remained strong. 

The Daryl's House show from this year was recorded and can be seen here:  Smithereens - Live at Daryl's House 5-27-17

pat dinizio.jpg

I caught one of the Mesaros shows in January here at the State.  He was incredibly thrilled to be back playing with the band, and there was definitely a different energy than from Severo or Kenny Howes shows - not better or more by any shot, just like a blast from the past.  Lots of smiles that night.

The show was on January 17th, and we just got tickets for the January 19th, 2018 show there a few days before Pat died.  They came in the mail yesterday afternoon.  :(

• 4 weeks later...

For those located in Jersey and those interested in web-surfing love Saturday night.  

“Time and Time Again: A Celebration of Pat DiNizio” takes place Sat. Jan. 14 at the Count Basie Theatre in NJ. Joining Jimmy, Dennis, Mike and Severo will be Steven Van Zandt, Patty Smyth, Marshall Crenshaw, Robin Wilson, Freedy Johnston, Richard Barone, The Grip Weeds, Ed Stasium and more! The show will be streamed live on The Basie.org starting at 8pm EST/5pm PST.

Hamerica

15 hours ago, crunchee said:

The concert's livestreaming now online...Patty Smyth is the opening act, show's just got started.  Three screens to choose from for different views of the acts--nice!

A guy Serial and I know from where we grew up and a friend of ours from home play/played with Patty Smyth last night.  Keith Mack has been with her since the '80s, and Cliff Hillis has done dual duty as the band's guitar tech and fill-in guitar/bass guy.

Archived