Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I got an album credit... for NOT playing guitar.

Rich_S

My old friend Tina, who has been doing a project under the artist name "Nymphya" just put out her first CD, and I got mentioned in the credits. About a year ago, Tina told me she wanted some guitar over the outro of one of her songs, in the style of Eric Clapton, and she asked if I would play it. My first reaction was "Boy, have YOU got the wrong guy." I'm not a blues guy, never was, never will be. Overruling my objections, she sent me a rough mix and asked that I give it a go.

I first came up with a part for the chorus of the song, that WAS me; a chorusy, jangley, arpeggiated, Telecaster bit that I thought was pretty good, but not what she asked for. Then, I set to the task of recording several passes of upper-fret solos. For this. I pulled out the Gravelin-equipped (MIK) Sunburst, played through my baby "Marshall" 18 Watter clone.  If anything, it was more Duane that Eric but what it really was was hackneyed blues licks from somebody who has no feel for the blues, and doesn't care to.  I DropBoxed the various bits off to her, and told her to use what she liked.

Weeks later, I listened again to the parts I had played and realized that not only were they predictable and boring, but I had played them badly. My timing was terrible and the intonation on my bends was off. I hardly play at all these days - too much real life going on - and "if you don't use it, you lose it". I just don't have the chops and the only way to get them back is practice... a lot.  There was no way I was going to pull off anything worthwhile in a single evening.

Upon that realization, I was pretty depressed and texted Tina to tell her, "It's your record, but if you want my opinion, my playing sucked and I wouldn't use it." She apparently agreed, because I'm not on the final version of the song.  I am, however, listed in the "Thanks also to:" section if the liner notes.

I'm still depressed that I can't play for shit, but at least I get an album credit for my self-awareness.

Oh, and here's a picture of my Sunburst, just because pictures of Hamers make everything better.

QH439iF.jpg

Ouch.

But you're right about the 'use it or lose it' thing. I try to have a guitar in hand while watching TV just to keep the fingers working. I'm not learning anything but I am attempting to maintain. Life does get in the way.

Archived