Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New Tolex

MTM105

Nielsen uses those as his "dummy" heads live.  They sit atop checkerboard Gibson Goldtone cabs in chex tolex that are pretty much all light housings except for one or two that are actually loaded for sound reference.  He's got 3 racked Rivera-modded Deluxe heads offstage that actually get used.

Nielsen Fuchs Heads 2014.jpg

Nielsen Fuchs heads.jpg

Nielsen_Rick_Fuchs_Train-45s_1.jpg

What is the benefit of a “dummy head?”  Showboating?  Eccentricity?

I saw at Nashville’s GMAs he went to great lengths to cover up logo.

As you can see, Andy provided me a newer logo.  Looks OK IMO.

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Dummy heads look like there is an amp on stage.  Looking cool counts a lot when playing a stadium. 

You could probably thank KISS for that, IIRC they're the ones that started using a backline of empty Marshall speaker cabs way back when.

4 minutes ago, HAMERMAN said:

Anybody know how Tolex like this is actually made, it is black Tolex with white squares painted on, White Tolex with black squares painted on or done some other way? 

Go scratch MTM105's amp and find out.  ;) 

Has anyone here scratched a checkerboard tolex covered Hamer case?  How is it made?

Working their (CT) concerts back in the day (mid 80's) I seem to recall a Music Man or maybe a Fender on a folding chair back stage with a mic thrown over the top.  Would that be even remotely accurate?  There were stacks on stage, but I have this memory of this lonely amp on a folding chair... 

There were a lot of recreational pharmaceuticals back in those days, so I could be "remembering" a figment of my imagination.  

I've had several backstage tours of the CT gear/backline over the last few decades, and that's remained consistent - 3 Deluxe heads.  The miked amp may have been a full Deluxe, as even with the Marshall wall he had back in the 80s/90s (and Hiwatts before that), the Deluxe(s) were often the amp that was miked.

Deep Purple and other bands were using walls of dummy stacks back in the early '70s at the same time, or maybe even before KISS did.  The image of a wall of amps has alwas been an impressive sight.

12 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I've had several backstage tours of the CT gear/backline over the last few decades, and that's remained consistent - 3 Deluxe heads.  The miked amp may have been a full Deluxe, as even with the Marshall wall he had back in the 80s/90s (and Hiwatts before that), the Deluxe(s) were often the amp that was miked.

Plaintiff refuses to concede, you honor, despite the face of evidence...

Ha!  He may have switched other racked heads in and out of the mix over the years, but in talking with two of his techs, they told me that the Rivera-modded Deluxes are "always on", but I'm just saying that's what's been consistent.  He had a bunch of Rivera HT55 combos at one time, the Marshalls, a giant-sized Marshall prop head...I'd have to go through the stacks of my pictures to see all the stuff he's used over the years!

On 12/14/2017 at 5:15 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Go scratch MTM105's amp and find out.  ;) 

Has anyone here scratched a checkerboard tolex covered Hamer case?  How is it made?

I've got two, never had the nerve to go scratching on them.  Each has a scuff or two, I may look more closely

Archived