Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Most "outdated" piece of gear you actually use

scottcald

I was watching a couple of videos - one where a guy had a rack full of old preamps and effects from the 80s and 90s from the ADA MP-1 to the Peavey Rockmaster etc. and another on Premier Guitar of Mutoid Man and the guy was using an 80s Aria V and a Sunn amp.  

All this stuff is out of fashion and outdated but they were getting cool sounds from all of it.  

It got me curious as to what everyone's oldest piece of gear is that you actually use - guitar or amp or effects.   For me it's my Peavey T-60 with Duncan 59s.  Still sounds good and full especially with the Duncans in it.  I recently got rid of an MXR Distortion II from like 1982.  I hadn't used it in a long time but it's a cool tone. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boss T-Wah pedal, MIJ February '83, funkiest pick-sensitive wakka wakka wakka box on the planet.

I will take it over ANY treadled wah, booteek or otherwise, any day of the week. My Geoffrey Teese wah sits collecting dust.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited to add ... the actual oldest pieces of gear I use are my '55 LP Junior and my slightly older Harmony "Archtone" F-hole archtop.

My Boss BF-2 flanger is MIJ, from the mid-to-early '80s.

The chassis and transformers in my amp were originally a Bogen PA from the early '70s, but they got completely re-purposed into an 18 Watter clone about 10 years ago.

I bought this brand new back in 77'.

3ft Whirlwind patch cable.

My oldest piece of gear purchased brand new.

I paid a lot for it back then in 77' dollars.

Still works, still use it... for bench tuning/ intonation with my strobo flip.

SJ4s93D.jpg

2 hours ago, Jeff R said:

Boss T-Wah pedal, MIJ February '83, funkiest pick-sensitive wakka wakka wakka box on the planet.

I will take it over ANY treadled wah, booteek or otherwise, any day of the week. My Geoffrey Teese wah sits collecting dust.

maxresdefault.jpg

Is that the "Funky Fuck Song" effect, or was that the Digitech Synth Wah?

Close ... that was a vintage MXR Envelope Filter. This does just as good a job, however, without the crazy vintage price tag the old MXR box carries nowadays.

2 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

Close ... that was a vintage MXR Envelope Filter. This does just as good a job, however, without the crazy vintage price tag the old MXR box carries nowadays.

Tell me about it, a local guy wants 2 bills for his.

17 minutes ago, MCChris said:

Is that the "Funky Fuck Song" effect, or was that the Digitech Synth Wah?

Somewhere in Houston there is a traumatized family who got in their rental Lincoln Towncar and were assaulted by the A-Freaks disk I forgot in the CD player.

3 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Somewhere in Houston there is a traumatized family who got in their rental Lincoln Towncar and were assaulted by the A-Freaks disk I forgot in the CD player.

30 seconds of "Sam I Am" would be all that's necessary to send that disc out the window like a Supertramp cassette.

13 minutes ago, Greg G said:

SF Fender Vibro Champ.  100 bucks well spent.  

How long ago?  I remember when I could buy a used SF Champ/Vibro Champ for $100 all day long, back in the '90's.  Or, at least up until the dealers and collectors started to hoard them.

A SR&D Rockman XPR just had been switched on and signals routed through yesterday. Still a very nice device with great sounds and a stereo FX return. I have a 2nd as a spare. But may sell this one day as I'm not travelling much these days. There are also some of the midi pedals lying around.

Just forgot about the Silvertone amp. That's even older, 60s or so. Fantastic amp! Gets used frequently.

Archived