Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Most "outdated" piece of gear you actually use

scottcald

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Chrome slide I bought at the Drum Pad in Felton, DE in 1979.....I have lots of fancy ceramics & glass slides now, but sometimes that chrome slide just has the tone....

I like those marshall mini (or is it micro) stacks. look cool and sound decent enough. I used to have both the plexi and jubilee style which were great, but I thought they were valued more on ebay than their utilitarian value as a practice amp so off they went. I have the standard mini stack (the ones that are like $150-$175 used)

12 hours ago, crunchee said:

How long ago?  I remember when I could buy a used SF Champ/Vibro Champ for $100 all day long, back in the '90's.  Or, at least up until the dealers and collectors started to hoard them.

‘96

If we're talking "old", it would be (besides me) the '63 Special.

If we're talking "outdated", it would be (again, besides me) an old eBow i've had since the 80s.  They're still cool, but i don't think they particularly "current" in music trends.

63_SG.jpg

Well, I am a kind of "modern" guy. When I got interested in guitars/basses/amps and other musical instruments in the early 80's I really liked the stuff that was new then. That is now 35 years old stuff. I also liked some of the guitars from the 70's (especially Gibson). I always wanted a Gibson RD Artist (bass or guitar). I always loved all maple instruments and the description of the electronics sounded interesting to me. I now have an RD Artist guitar and also a bass model. I don't play them often. I like the guitar for jazzy stuff with the Fender amp. The RD bass has a great sound, quite different than a Fender or any mahogany Gibson, or even my main bass the Hamer Chap Max Bass, but the weight of the RD Bass doen't make it a favorite of mine. The moog electronics are quite capable to boost/cut treble and bass, and I like the treble boost switch. I don't use the compression/expansion switch on them. They may be the oldest stuff I use. I tried a Fender Studio Bass amp, but don't like it and went back to my Ampeg V4BH. Other old stuff were a 1983 Boss DS-1, I borrowed it to a bandmate some years ago, but never got it back. He still has his '69 Ampeg SVT head in our rehearsal space. But it needs some repair done, so it doesn't get used by anyone. For me it would be too heavy anyway. That amp once belonged to the studios that made the famous BEAT CLUB series in the 60's/70's. My oldest Hamer is a 1985 Steve Stevens, it is 32 years old. I have three other Hamer guitars from the 80's ('88 Steve Stevens, '86 FBII, '89 Chap Sustainiac) and two 80's Kramer Focus 3000, as well as a Gibson Q-80 from 1986. All other stuff is from the 90's or younger, including all my amps. And even though I love 60's and 70's music, I love my stuff. I am into Floyd Rose trems, EMG pickups, modern amps. There isn't anything I use from the beginning (which was in 1983), not even a cable or strap. I have a Strat project that will use the neck of my very first guitar (a Fender Lead III). I use a Wah Wah since 1984, but the pedal I actually use is a 90's Dunlop.

Hmm, the word "outdated" suggests some kind of obsolescence or technical inferiority.  Like an old coiled cable.  I have some old stuff, like a guitar I bought brand new in 1977 when I was in high school, but it is not obsolete technology.  I've got old picks, old strings.

The only obsolete technology stuff I can think of are old song books from around 1970.  Paper pages with music printed on them.  These days we'd look up the song on the internet and display it on a tablet or print out the PDF file.  Or we'd watch a how-to-play video on Youtube.

I found a Gallien-Krueger 250ML amp (the little lunchbox one) on CL about 5 years ago. It is in brand new shape. I use it all the time for tracking guitars. The sound on its own is way too '80s Rush to be used on its own but I will double a track using it and mix that track real low so it's almost like using it as an effect. It gives a little sparkle to the tracks and in this context nobody guesses what it is.

Its also a cool little amp to just jam thru at lower volumes.

I was going to say:

I have a chrome slide I bought from a friend in 1975 (for $2.00) that's still my main slide. I've acquired others along that way, but that one's still my #1. I think if I ever lost it it would be like when Austin Powers lost his mojo.

I also still regularly use the original Heet Sound EBow I got for my 16th birthday in 1977, and there's an MXR Micro Amp on my pedalboard that I've had since 1980.

But then I read this...

36 minutes ago, Uncle Thor's Hamer said:

Hmm, the word "outdated" suggests some kind of obsolescence or technical inferiority.  Like an old coiled cable.  I have some old stuff, like a guitar I bought brand new in 1977 when I was in high school, but it is not obsolete technology.  I've got old picks, old strings.

The only obsolete technology stuff I can think of are old song books from around 1970.  Paper pages with music printed on them.  These days we'd look up the song on the internet and display it on a tablet or print out the PDF file.  Or we'd watch a how-to-play video on Youtube.

...and realized Uncle Thor's Hamer has a good point. Those things I mentioned (as well as my 1953 Magnatone amp I'll be using at tomorrow night's gig) are old but not outdated.

So, with that in mind, I suppose the most outdated things I use are setlists and lyric sheets printed on paper and taped to my floor monitor.

I still have a Gallien-Krueger 4412H bass guitar cabinet that I bought new in 1978. Sadly, the 400B amp that I bought with it died 15 years ago.

This monstrosity is a fridge sized cab with 4-12" speakers in a horn loaded configuration, plus two 10" speakers that front-fire.
In hindsight, the cab is midrangey as hell but the GK amp had a contour switch that I left on all the time.

It rattles a bit now but still fills a room when you push it. I can't seem to let it go...

With respect to the OP's description, I'd say my original mid-'80s Boss HM-2 fits the bill. I used it a LOT for two years around '87. When I finally got a good tube amp, it began collecting dust and still resides in a box in my gear room. I use it to push a Frontman 25 on a very rare occasion. 

I have an Ibanez Phase II that I still use some.  Bought it new in the early 80's.  82  or so if I remember correctly .Saw some go for sale some years back for a ridiculous price but never tried to sell mine.  Didn't want to let it go.  Did accidentally throw away the box.ibanez-phase-tone-II.jpg

Keep the Sunn foot-switch from an old amp and use it with my digital keyboard.

Sun-footswitch.jpg

Still have some old mics that I occasionally bring out for videos.  

That is it in the right bottom corner.

still works but I use it mostly as a prop now.

3 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

With respect to the OP's description, I'd say my original mid-'80s Boss HM-2 fits the bill. I used it a LOT for two years around '87. When I finally got a good tube amp, it began collecting dust and still resides in a box in my gear room. I use it to push a Frontman 25 on a very rare occasion. 

That's awesome.  The HM-2 was another item I got rid of recently.  

2 hours ago, santellavision said:

Digitech GSP2101. My secret weapon while recording. I have owned both an AxeFx and Kemper. The 2101 still has analog tones than just sound great.

372468_2101.jpg

I've never used one of those.  You have any tone samples you can share?

Archived