Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Most "outdated" piece of gear you actually use

scottcald

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/14/2017 at 9:34 PM, kurtsstuff said:

I still have and use an Alesis Quadraverb..

I still have my Midiverb II.  I love the Lennon delay on it - I wrote down all the settings when I boxed it up to sell, but I never moved it.  Also still have my S4+ (with the cathedral and orchestra add-on cards) and D4 in my rack.  I just put a new desk in, and they're much easier to see now, so I think the S4 may see a tad more action.

1946 Gibson L7 beater in black.  Nothing screams outdated like an acoustic archtop without a pickup (except maybe a pedal steel. oh, wait... got one of those too)

1952 Fender 5B3 Deluxe with the octal preamp tubes.  It's not even the good one that everybody wants, but it sounds really nice to me.

The first amp I ever bought, when I got my first real full-time job in 1978, was a Peavey Classic 50 from Guzzardo Music in Belvidere, IL. That's also where I bought my first  Hamer, a 1980 Sunburst, a few years later. I had the Peavey out on loan to a friend to use in their practice space, and hadn't seen it in probably 7 years. I just asked for it back, and loaned it to another friend for his practice space. I get to go over there and play occasionally, so I've actually gotten to use the amp myself recently. It sounds pretty damn good.

On 12/17/2017 at 2:18 AM, FrettyMcgee said:

One of these baby's since '90. Couple patches get pretty damn close to CDFF Lucky This Time ala Paulini Gilberto.

Fun and snarky little units.

a-da-mb-1-10327.jpg

Sounds like you're still digging it.  You using the ADA foot controller or another MIDI controller? I was thinking about getting one of the ADAs but recently picked up a Helix.

15 hours ago, hanspanzer said:

I still use a piece of kit that was designed in the early thirties. It`s called an electric guitar. 

Counting it this way, I still use those old pickups.

Probably tape echos in my case.

Years ago I was buying every delapidated project unit I could get my hands on, restoring, using, and flipping them.

1tLcfgt.jpg

2VeK6Fh.jpg

Every one of them was a snowflake- each had their own character.  Even the projects are expensive now, and so I haven't done that in a while.  Down to a single, fairly rough but great sounding Space Echo RE-150.

On 12/18/2017 at 9:09 AM, scottcald said:

Sounds like you're still digging it.  You using the ADA foot controller or another MIDI controller? I was thinking about getting one of the ADAs but recently picked up a Helix.

Oh, I still dig it. But its pretty much retired since I started up with the AxeFx.  although I was thinking of running it through the AxeFx effects loop, and using the Axe's cabinet/speaker section to do some direct in recording. 

I had a ART midi pedal, waaaay back when I played live. Its since crapped out. I do eye up the occasional ADA foot controller on fleabay, purely as a completion....that I couldn't afford back in the day.

On 12/16/2017 at 3:38 PM, stonge said:

1946 Gibson L7 beater in black.  Nothing screams outdated like an acoustic archtop without a pickup

1935 Biltmore archtop. Records great, plays great, stays in tune.

On 12/19/2017 at 2:53 PM, scottcald said:

Lots of cool stuff there, chromium!

Everything in that pic is gone now, with exception of the old Minimoog (another resto project) and the little Sequential (had that one since the 80s).

That RE-301 was my favorite of the Space Echos, mainly because of the sound-on-sound looping feature. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Moxie said:

This, dead mint condition, made and restored by the guy who made it in the first place - 1989 TC Electronic 1210 Spatial Expander + Stereo Chorus/Flanger:

TC 1210.png

Super-kewl! Love TCs stompers from that era. I bet it sounds killer.

I use the 1210 because my late friend Michael Hedges used it in a rather clever and amazing sounding way that was felt but not really heard, and I do the same. I created his website 20+ years ago in all its Web 0.9 frame-based glory, then donated it to his estate after he died, and then literally nothing was done with it. It's been the same as I left it in 1997, but this page has some interesting info on his use of the 1210, which no software I've heard has yet beaten: http://www.nomadland.com/Stage_Rig.htm

12 hours ago, Moxie said:

I use the 1210 because my late friend Michael Hedges used it in a rather clever and amazing sounding way that was felt but not really heard, and I do the same. I created his website 20+ years ago in all its Web 0.9 frame-based glory, then donated it to his estate after he died, and then literally nothing was done with it. It's been the same as I left it in 1997, but this page has some interesting info on his use of the 1210, which no software I've heard has yet beaten: http://www.nomadland.com/Stage_Rig.htm

You're M@???? It's been years!

Archived