Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FS: 1966 Gibson ES335 TDC - PRICE DROP!!

FOR SALE: Vintage 1966 Gibson ES335 TDC Guitar - PRICE DROP!!

Excellent condition for a 51 year-old guitar. This is a players guitar, not all original. But, it’s an wonderful instrument. I’ve owned it for 32 years. Meticulously maintained and updated to be in superb playing condition. Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard. Frets were replaced with same size as original and Plek’d by Joe Glaser in Nashville about 3 years ago. (If you don’t know Joe, Google him, he’s the best of the best) The action is low, neck is straight, a tiny, tiny bit of playwear on the frets, but not much. The pickups are original, but the pots, wiring and jack are replaced, toggle switch is original. Bridge is replaced with a TonePros locking bridge, but, I actually still have the original bridge with nylon saddles in the case. A Bigsby and Stoptail studs were added. So, you can replace the Bigsby if you want to put a Stoptail on it. (Sorry, the original trapeze tailpiece didn’t come with it back when I got it). Tuners are original and still work fine.

Neck dimensions are .810 at 1st to .951 at 12th fret. 1-9/16 nut width. Kind of bigger than a Slim 60’s but a little less than a ’59 carve. It was marked on the headstock as a factory 2nd. There is plenty of normal, honest playwear, weather checking, buckle wear from years of playing, but no serious damage, cracks or repairs. Even though I’ve played her a lot, its been taken great care of. I’ve posted lots of pics, if you want any specific pics, just let me know and I can send you them.

Comes with its original hardshell case which is in fair shape with lots of mojo for sure. (Latches still work and has the original owners name painted on it (Michael Saucédo - I heard he was a blues player in the Midwest, long ago.) Please message me with any questions.

$4,600. FIRM for now. Shipping/PayPal included
(A PPG gift would be nice if you know me)
Sorry, no trades on this one.
Thx! Ernie

Gibby1.jpgGibby2.jpgGibby3.jpgGibby8.jpgGibby14.jpgGibby12.jpgGibby11.jpgGibby10.jpg
Gibby18.jpgGibby5.jpgGibby4.jpgGibby6.jpgGibby16.jpgGibby20.jpgGibbyweight.jpgGibby15.jpg

That Is incredible looking!:wub:The age patina on this guitar is something Gibson..........Tom Murphy............or anyone else can not duplicate. Only time and use. Bad Ass guitar!...............what a Christmas gift that would make! GLWTS

What's your opinion on the price?? I have it listed a bunch of places and no bites. Sure, it's the Holidays, but, I just bought two guitars. 
For $5K, you can get a Gibby Custom shop axe, but who cares, they are nice, but this is a vintage piece than I guarantee plays and sounds better than a new, cold feeling guitar. I see 60's crappy SG Jrs going for this. I really think it's worth it... am I crazy? 

Patience, grasshopper. I have no idea if $5k is a good price or not, but you're not really in the 'casual buyer' market. The mods might be holding people off. That, and everybody's tapped out this time of year (unless your bonus is better than the jelly-of-the-month, Clark). Hold out 'til spring and you should do better.

Personally it pushes ALL the right buttons for me. Do you take easy monthly payments?

9 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

Patience, grasshopper. I have no idea if $5k is a good price or not, but you're not really in the 'casual buyer' market. The mods might be holding people off. That, and everybody's tapped out this time of year (unless your bonus is better than the jelly-of-the-month, Clark). Hold out 'til spring and you should do better.

Personally it pushes ALL the right buttons for me. Do you take easy monthly payments?

Careful 

Some say "Value is in the eye of the beholder." And while I really like your guitar I don't value it enough to be the holder.:(

Now that I got that out of the way, a search on the great used guitar shop The Interweb says that you are not out of line price wise. Maybe not even in the middle.

But there are a bunch of '60s era 335s for sale.

Reverb lists 93 of them! Priced from $2000 to $100,000. If you take out the rich guy retirement guitars, they top out about $30,000. So you are not out of line. But it's Christmas and there are some very questionable things going on in the world that leave many wondering how much money they are going to have next year.

Again referring to Reverb, they say an ES 335 TD should sell between 5 and 8k. So you are on the low end. But Reverb has 165 ES-335s for sale. And while a percentage of buyers are looking for a 60's era Gibby, many are just wanting a nice semi-hollow guitar. And musically it's not easy to find a lot of difference between a '66 and a '16.

And that's just Reverb. I won't even start on Gbase, Gruhns, Elderly, ect. ect. ect.

Patients is the virtue you need this holiday season.

GLWTS

Well I had a 66 back in 1966 with a trapeze tailpiece not a Bigsby. It was a great guitar and from my observation a much better bet than any of the new ones I've played. I also had an 83 dot reissue which was a nice guitar but nowhere near as nice as my 66....just sayin

ArnieZ

Since you asked, the 1 9/16" nut-width could be limiting your market, even though your price is good.

Late-sixties to early-seventies SGs used to be one of the better vintage bargains out there, but I just can't get on with the narrow nut. Same for 70's Strats.

I have to pay for health insurance instead of a guitar right now, but that does not mean my opinion has to stay bottled up.  

At this point I would rather have a player than a pristine collector's item.  Mods?  What difference do they really make in the middle of a song?  That 335 is exactly what I would go for if I could grab one.  

Like others say, be patient.  My Reverb sales took a while, but people are there looking.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:08 AM, Lockbody said:

Since you asked, the 1 9/16" nut-width could be limiting your market, even though your price is good.

Late-sixties to early-seventies SGs used to be one of the better vintage bargains out there, but I just can't get on with the narrow nut. Same for 70's Strats.

Isn't that the same nut width as many early '80's Hamer Specials?

Archived