Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2017 Bands

Here are the bands I saw in 2017. 

The most pleasant surprises were Metalachi and Battle Beast.  Raven was far better than expected.  Metalachi was just fun the whole time, never serious, always making jokes, and most of all they engaged the audience to make their show one big party.  Battle Beast was the best new metal band I discovered.  They are coming back in 2018, but at the bottom of the bill.  It would be nice to see them, but they need more than a 30 minute opening slot.  Raven played like their mission was to impress heavy metal upon the entire world.  Just the attitude alone was enough to get the job done. 

The worst was Love Rat.  When they finished I made the comment that someone must have told them they would turn into pillars of salt if they looked at the audience.

I had front row for ten of these shows.  I met band members at seven of them. 

Udo Dirkschneider / 68-75
Tommy Emmanuel / Joe Robinson
Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes / Gary Douglas Band
Martin Barre
John 5 and the Creatures
Mac Sabbath / Metalachi / Okilly Dokilly
The Charlie Daniels Band
The Zombies
Alice Cooper
Poison / Jackyl / Michael Tracy
Pat Boone
Sabaton / Battle Beast / Leaves' Eyes
Iron Maiden / Ghost
Journey / Asia
Ted Nugent / Love Rat
Foreigner / Cheap Trick / Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience
Tesla / The Cringe / Voices Of Extreme
Raven / Dead By Wednesday / Thermostat / Rent Veil
Rob Zombie
Riders In The Sky
Sammy Hagar & The Circle / Andrew Hagar
Dream Theater
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Warren Haynes/Ann Wilson/Trey Anastasio Band/Avett Brothers/Blackberry Smoke/Jake Shimabukuro/Holly Bowling/Margo Price/Brandon Neiderauer/Mike Barnes/Marcus King

Ted Nugent/Love Rat was in Birmingham this year.  The opening act was local. 

When Ted Nugent played Atlanta's Symphony Hall in 2016 the opening act was The Raskins, and they wasted valuable time playing a couple of covers when they should have done all originals.  I would have preferred a better band, too.

The Raskins are a couple of rich kids who paid for the opening act slot with Mötley Crüe, then sued because they felt they were not allowed what was contractually agreed upon.  Basically, they were given a time slot that had them playing about when the doors opened at some shows, so they played to a lot of empty seats.  The band was hired guns from other bands, and the twin brothers were playing rock stars.  They probably paid for that opening spot with Ted Nugent, too. 

How was Pat Boone? Did he play any metal tunes?  I have a CD of metal covers that he did which I thought was cool. IE. Crazy Train done in kind of a big band lounge style. 

The show was a mix of live music and videos from Pat's career. His pianist accompanied him while he sang.  He talked or narrated as the videos played. Some videos were complete songs while others were cut short.

The show went like this:

April Love
Love Letters in the Sand
I Believe (video)
Tutti Fruity (video)
Tumbling Tumbleweeds (video)
Day of Wine and Roses (video)
This Is My Country (video)
Tutti Fruity / Ain't That a Shame / Long Tall Sally / At My Front Door (video clips)
Mister Natural (video with Nat King Cole)
It Don't Mean a Thing (video with Ella Fitzgerald)
The Look of Love
Smoke on the Water
The Exodus Song (video)
Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show

You And I
Under God

The setlist is online.

I saw Marcus King twice in 17 and the first time in 16.  Just missed them at Terminal West in Atlanta over the weekend.  Flat out the best "new" artist Ive come across in years.  That kid can shred the blues!  The horns section, drummer, and bass player are all nasty good.

"Thermostat" in your list caught my eye as I sold a "dude" from thermostat some recording gear in 16, I figured he was full of $hit but perhaps those dudes do play out a lot.  Where they any good???

I think I have seen Thermostat three times.  The second time I saw them one of the regulars in the crowd said we should all start chanting "mother fucker" as they came on stage.  When I saw them last time I was talking with the drummer in Dead By Wednesday at his merchandise table and told him to try counting the number of times he would hear the words "mother fucker."  After Thermostat finished and Dead By Wednesday was setting up I told the drummer, "See?  I told ya!" 

Thermostat is local, but rarely play locally.  They had their friends in the club, so the response from the crowd was good.  The music is heavy in a direction that is not bad, just not what I prefer.  Seeing them on the list of bands for an evening is no problem because they are entertaining.  The singer is like a heavy metal Danny Joe Brown.  Every time he talks to the audience he says "mother fucker" four or five times. 

You had a good year.

For me 2017 was a light year for shows.  My arena show boycott remains in place.  I only  do smaller venues and local clubs - so less big acts:

Kevin Eubanks

Stanley Jordan

Steel Panther

Rodrigo y Gabriela

Thundercat

Roseanne Cash

Pat Martino

My major this year had been Queen + AL. Then there were Carl Verheyen, Nazareth, Simo, Mitch Ryder, The Hamburg Blues Band, Ali Neander, ELO cover, Daily Friday (incl. my son), Paisley Tree, and Sinfonietta (classic). The year’s final maybe Cheers (includes my son on the bass again).

lots of variety in shows  , very cool  ,  i've seen martin barre twice this year  , and my old metal band was asked to back up raven when they came around - but the drummer didn't want to do the show
always fun seeing live bands

On 12/18/2017 at 5:11 PM, BubbaVO said:

You had a good year.

For me 2017 was a light year for shows.  My arena show boycott remains in place.  I only  do smaller venues and local clubs - so less big acts:

Kevin Eubanks

Was Kevin Eubanks solo?  We caught him locally about three years ago - absolutely killer clean tone, but he occasionally stepped on a Klon and the result was this absolutely reprehensible fizzy mess reminiscent of (but much worse than) the dirt channel of a Roland JC120!  Amazing playing, however, and a really great rapport with audience.

Archived