Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NHD: 2000 Artist Korina HB

polara

You may remember the Korina Artist on EBay for $850 with weak photos, almost no description, and a seller with zero feedback. I bit. 

Bad news was the guy took it to UPS to pack and they saw him coming a mile off. He politely sent receipt after shipping ($140 total) and said that while he took responsibility for only charging $30 for shipping, he’d be grateful if I wanted to help out. I sent him some extra because it was Christmas Eve. Humbug! 

Arrived last night. Packed to survive a war or UPS. Double boxed and came in at 29 pounds. Case is clean. Guitar needs some cleaning and strings but he did put a Monster cable, picks, strap and extra D’Addario 10s in the case. 

Clean, polish frets, oil the rosewood, snug the tuners, etc. String it and tighten the truss rod a quarter turn, raise the bridge. 

Excellent condition. No pitted or tarnished chrome, just annoying screwdriver marks on the TonePros tailpiece studs. Two micro-dings in the top, not to the wood. Normal polish and play swirls in the clearcoat. One scuffed area on the back that actually could buff out. No headstock dings, no buckle rash, no fret wear. 

Neck is straight as a Nebraska highway. Fret ends perfect. Very easy to play, no buzzing or weird stuff. Plugged in there was no scratchiness or weirdness. Really balanced, even, refined sound. Not brash and aggressive like the Moniker, not zingy and light like the Strat. Very capable. Did the Korina HBs come with the usual 59/JB combination? This doesn’t sound like a JB. Maybe it’s the chambered Korina but it doesn’t have that JB high-end bang. 

Hamer was really kilin’ it by 2000. I’ve had a dozen Hamers in 16 years and a couple of the 80s ones were not good guitars. The 90s ones were good but not always my thing. I’ve now had a 2000 Artist P90 and a 2004 Duotone 12er, plus this. All three are in a different league than anything I’ve played apart from a MotorAve, a Collings, a GMP, a Shishkov, and maybe one PRS. And it’s in that league but just less pricey and less bling. 

Pics soon. I’m writing this on my long train ride to work, and am going to rehearsal after work. 

Cool shot! Take risk for the win. Probably, you'll never score a Korina Artist for that price again.

Pics. Flat office lighting but...

IMG_4985.jpg

IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4987.jpg

Strings are wrapped funky since I loosened them to take the bridge off, then quickly tightened for the photos. Since been wrapped correctly :)

Korina HB Artist came with 59er on both side...

My first Hamer too and such an incredible instrument. I fully agree with all your comments....From 2000s, this is a must, a dream, a Hamer

Enjoy it :)

35 minutes ago, bruce919 said:

Glad that one worked out. The ebay ad looked fishy.

Was way sketchy, but he was advertising a lot of "man-boy" toys, and photos were consistent. Looked like a break-up, lost job, crisis situation from someone who wasn't the slickest at sales. 

• 2 weeks later...

Man, what a sleeper this guitar proved to be. It's so plain looking, no flash to it at all. But stays in tune for a full rehearsal, lots of bottom end on the neck setting without getting boomy, while has some bite on the bridge pickup without getting grating. Weighs nothing. Don't ya hate it when you get a guitar thinking "probably will flip it, but might like it" and realize you just got a keeper? :)

Archived