Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTB: short scale bass

I've made a new friend at work, and he's been after me to help find him a bass guitar. He's new to guitar playing, but has played as a drummer in bands before. He's short in stature, so is looking for  a short scale beginner bass. We've been to a local music store, Twin Town, and they carry Ibanez models that he likes. In particular, the had an Ibanez GSRM20 that seems reasonable. I've got another friend with a Mikro short scale that seems nice as well.

Any recommendations from the experts here? Or anything lying around in your closet that you might be willing to part with? 

He seems partial to wood grain finishes. 

I'll entertain any offers, but $400 is the absolute top price, and cheaper would be better.

Thanks!

Squier; cannot go wrong with a Squier SS...

I was looking at a Squier SS Jaguar myself but got a fabulous deal on an Epiphone T-Bird Pro IV (the neck-thru Pro one) that was too good to resist at £200 with case (retail is £450 in England). Had that not have come up, I would have seriously looked at a Squier...

Missus Polara is 5'2" and played an Ibanez Mikro bass, but the Squire Jaguar she has now is better. I now record with it, and it was about $200 new. Perfectly good instrument, and this is from someone who gigged a Pedulla and a B12L for years.

Thanks for the suggestions. There are a couple of Squier Jaguar bass guitars at Twin Town Guitar, and it's near work, so perhaps I'll stop in and try one tonight.

I've been reading good things about the Hofner Ignition series imports as well. Does anyone have any experience with those?

Don't rule out the Japanese (or more recently made) Fender Mustang basses.  Really well made, short scale and very giggable.

3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Don't rule out the Japanese (or more recently made) Fender Mustang basses.  Really well made, short scale and very giggable.

Had one of the originals, with the racing stripe, when I was 18 or 19.  It was a great first bass and cured me of the "playing guitar on bass" syndrome.  I'd imagine they're still pretty sweet now.

Also, I don't know how prevalent they are in your corner, but The Slammer B4S copies were very good  I bought two (one a lefty) from ElDuave and have enjoyed mine, even gigged with it on Irish stuff and the like.  The owner of the lefty once remarked that  "it kicks my business all around the block".  The guy worshiped Geddy Lee, so that's probably high praise.

• 2 weeks later...

Pick up a Sire V7, preferably one of the first ones made within or prior to 2016... best and most affordable bass in the market... Love mine, worth every penny... try Reverb, bunch of them on the Site now... should be able to get one in the $400 range...

Not necessarily a typical "short scale" bass, but a very very comfortable 34"... Otherwise, strongly agree with Squire SS in terms of scale, cost and playability... 

Thanks for all the info, guys. I appreciate it! I'm still shopping, and hope to go out to try a few models at some of my local stores this weekend.

Does any have any experience with the Waterstone brand? In particular the Waterstone Indra.

Also, there's an Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat listed locally.

Both these look like nice guitars. Any opinions?

I played the Waterstone Indra at Vig Guitars, and it was very nice. Good fit and finish, and strung with flatwounds which were very appealing. It seems heavy to me for a short scale hollowbody (single F-hole), but now I sound like I'm shopping for myself. ha.

Here's a link to the guitar on my local craigslist if you're interested in what it looks like:

Craigslist Mpls: Waterstone Indra at Vig Guitars

• 3 weeks later...

009.JPGAlthough an Import, I use a Hamer Short Scale Bass.. I painted the Head Stock and Changed out the Pickups..

006.JPG

004.JPG

The Hamer import sounds like an interesting option. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still shopping around. My friend has been bugging me for over a year, but I'm not sure if he's ever going to buy anything. It's funny the effect that shopping has on a guy though. I keep telling myself that they're WANTS, not NEEDS.  I know myself, though. If I can find something nice and light, I'll probably end up with a short scale for myself by the end of the year. And then I'll need new Gravelin pickups for it.

Archived