Hamer Fan Club Message Center

ArnieZ

LIke many of us my guitar "collection" is in a state of flux. I have been trying to get rid of what I feel are duplicates and guitars I don't play. My PRS DGT became a lesser duplicate with the addition of my Shishkov and so after simmering for a while I made the decision to move it. Had many trade offers but none that excited me. Had some typical would you sell this for typical much lower price than real value offers. I decided to post it over at the "other" place, TGP, where I got more of the same. Finally added no trades except for Thorn Grantura feeling certain that this would never happen. Remarkably was contacted by a really nice guy who offered his Grantura and of course wanted $ because they are not of equal value. Spoke on the phone a couple times and arranged simultaneous shipping day. He then told me a personal check in the case was 100% ok with him, I was floored! This was almost like dealing  with the HFC. Guitar came in described condition and I am impressed. This is a smaller bodied 335 that sounds like a 335 but of course much better quality. Extremely comfortable to play sitting/ standing, hangs perfectly on a strap. Nice big 59 neck profile. Color is not what I would have picked if I was ordering new, but actually prettier than I expected. Reminds me of the Wine red Les Paul deluxe I owned.

bm8Whlh.jpg

jhFcbMR.jpg

myKLK5k.jpg

There has been a lot of hype regarding Thorn guitars but nowhere to play them. I know Pirateflyn has a couple. At any rate this is what I have been looking for  some time, a smaller bodied 335 type guitar that evokes my memories of my old 66 335, in an easier for me, package to handle

ArnieZ

That is a score!

The Grantura is one of the few guitars that might drag me out of a GAS-free state. Thus far, I have been able to resist, thanks in part to a Collings I-35LC someone here turned me on to in 2016. I have no doubt the Thorn takes it to the next level.

Please don't praise it too much lest my bank account take a $5k+ hit!

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:29 AM, django49 said:

That is a score!

The Grantura is one of the few guitars that might drag me out of a GAS-free state. Thus far, I have been able to resist, thanks in part to a Collings I-35LC someone here turned me on to in 2016. I have no doubt the Thorn takes it to the next level.

Please don't praise it too much lest my bank account take a $5k+ hit!

Have not played a Collings but this Thorn is the shit! Incredibly well made and nails the 335 vibe in a smaller body. Incredible sustain and controllable feedback can't see how you wouldn't want one, it's right up your alley:)

ArnieZ

1 hour ago, ArnieZ said:

Have not played a Collings but this Thorn is the shit! Incredibly well made and nails the 335 vibe in a smaller body. Incredible sustain and controllable feedback can't see how you wouldn't want one, it's right up your alley:)

ArnieZ

Well. at some point I may surrender!

The Collings is one of the best semi-hollows I have ever played. But I have a hard selecting between it and a CO Hamer. I guess you would call it a cross between a non-Bigsby Monaco and a SuperPro. F-holes. Has a "bridge post" rather than a full center block, so maybe it is more properly termed hollow than semi. I think what really makes it is the longer scale, all korina body and neck, with ebony.  The two are not directly comparable---They sorta fit two different niches. The Hamer sounds "bigger and snappier" whereas the I35 has an incredible clarity with the low wind pickups. Whichever one I am playing is my favorite......

Still, the idea of a Grantura, esp if equipped with the Dr. Vintage pickups and korina neck options, tugs at me. But I reckon I'd have to (at least!) cut my old 335 loose to justify it.

Which pickups and other options does Lil' Red sport?

Other than the cosmetic package it has the Arcane pickups. Don't know too much about them spec wise, but they sound great. The sustain, I believe comes from the precision building, huge neck and impeccable fret work

arniez

Archived