Hamer Fan Club Message Center
gtrdaddy

A = 432hz vs A = 440hz

What, no A 443 or A 457?

All I need is: AAAAA, one, two, three, four...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, murkat said:

This is a good read on the subject. 

9 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

What, no A 443 or A 457?

9 hours ago, scottcald said:

440, 441.....whatever it takes.

4 hours ago, Disturber said:

All I need is: AAAAA, one, two, three, four...

Watch the whole video & check out the link Murkat provides. It’s really quite interesting and when you actually listen to the difference in the two, it at least for many , is quite noticeable with 432hz winning out.

Same guy and same guitar, correct?  How did they split the screen? This was pretty cool. Thanks.

Edited by Pieman
typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

Same guy and same guitar, correct?  How did they split the screen? This was pretty cool. Thanks.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty good! Doing it is fairly easy with video editing software.

It's just a different tuning that's all! I used to tune down to A-432hz but went back to 440 and I play at only 440 again now. Yes it does sound different and you can easily convince yourself that it feels different. I'm not saying it isn't feeling different though. Let your ears etc decide...

• Like 1

I went down to a=432 Hz a couple of years ago. It sounded and felt nice. Eventually, I went back to a=440 Hz since everything is set to it. Starting with the standard tuners and such.

• Like 1

Interesting. 

I thought this was snake oil and didn’t think I would really notice anything....but in each case 432 won me over...it truly does feel better to me.

Hard to put into words, but my wife, who is a non-musician heard it she simply said 432 sounds more pleasant to the ear.

I’m inclined to agree. I wonder if it will become the new standard?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

I’m inclined to agree

take, play your original music, and play it at 432, get back to me.

might as well transpose your recordings to 432 and see what happens :) (and don't tell the misses, see if she hears, feels the difference)

I think it effects people who are in tune within themselves, others not so much, but, like many things out there in the world.

Personally, I like 432. More pleasing to my ears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always tuned 432 ever since I can remember. A bit heavier,helps vocals etc..

• Like 2

I generally prefer 432 for acoustic guitar.  It does feel more organic to me.

My son, a music major in college, tells me that orchestras are more commonly tuning slightly sharp from 440.  It makes the music a bit edgier or brighter or something.

When I was younger... attempting to play guitar, learning, playing along with records, tapes, etc.

One album struck me odd....

Scorpions, Animal magnetism. The tuning is sharper than 440. Baffled me for the longest time. why....:ph34r:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, murkat said:

When I was younger... attempting to play guitar, learning, playing along with records, tapes, etc.

One album struck me odd....

Scorpions, Animal magnetism. The tuning is sharper than 440. Baffled me for the longest time. why....:ph34r:

When I hear something like that on an old album, I always think they sped up the recording because they felt the tempo was a little slow.  Rather than try to beat a great take, just speed the whole thing up.  I could just be stupid though.

• Haha 1

I always figured any given song from that era was tuned to whichever guitarist that made it first to the studio. That's how we did it at rehearsals...  

Unless they have a keyboard player...

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 1:55 PM, Pieman said:

There was some trickery going on there.

• Like 1