Hamer Fan Club Message Center

INCOMING!!

bubs_42

Nice!  Finally got around to checking out the 3 Monkeys website for this amp, interesting choice of instrumental music that they used to demo it ('Free Ride'?  THAT'S a blast from my past!  That guitar part sounds a little like Steve Miller's 'Swingtown' too, now that I think about it...).  Nice amp!  How does it differ from (or is like) a Marshall 18w combo, or any other similar take on the dual EL84 cathode-biased 18w amp platform? 

Edited to add: here's the website:  https://3monkeysamps.com/products/sock-monkey-18-12

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

Nice!  Finally got around to checking out the 3 Monkeys website for this amp, interesting choice of instrumental music that they used to demo it ('Free Ride'?  THAT'S a blast from my past!  That guitar part sounds a little like Steve Miller's 'Swingtown' too, now that I think about it...).  Nice amp!  How does it differ from (or is like) a Marshall 18w combo, or any other similar take on the dual EL84 cathode-biased 18w amp platform? 

Edited to add: here's the website:  https://3monkeysamps.com/products/sock-monkey-18-12

I'll fill you in when I get it. The 12 watter sounds like and attenuated 18 watt amp, but thats nice on both amps I have here is that the sound you get with the master up and the pre low can be almost spot on when you bring the master down and the pre up. You can get that tone pretty freaking close and still roll the volume back and they clean up like no other. The 10/12 sounded like what I hoped the 65amps Lil Elvis would sound like. I wanted that amp something fierce until I was able to set down with it and play it before I bought it. Brad Whitford runs his Sock Monkey 18 into a greenback loaded 4x12 with the pre right around 3 and the master at around 61/2, 7 with a little goose from the Klon. I know i'll like it, I like the 12 water so the 18 and the Orangutan Jr will stick around. I may just sell the Red Tele and the my black tele and keep all three. 

I've played an a few of the Marshall 18 watt amps and they sound pretty damn good, they are loud and take pedals great. You just can't expect any more gain out of them and the 3 Monkeys can bring more gain than the standard 18. So I can take a pedal board to the gig, or just take the amp and guitar to a jam and not worry about it. 

3Monkeys are by far my favorite amps.  Love 'em!

Trois%20Lapins_zpsqfjfp7x0.jpg

My 3Monkeys and Shishkov.jpg

Great sound, dead silent (even with a Strat and bar neons in the same room) and built liRe tanks.  Really precise construction and operation, and Greg & Ossie are freakin' awesome humans.

1 hour ago, 0054 said:

They have a great look too.

What makes em so special vs other guys, like Victoria, Carr etc etc etc...?

Man, I really hate making comparisoins to other manufacturers. Carr makes tremendous amps and so does Victoria. Victoria are straight up, classic designs, Carr does great stuff, I don't have anything bad to say about either of them. 3 Monkeys tries to not build clones of any one thing, but to build an amp that you can just stick the mic in front of it and you get a great sound. IMHO they are no compromise, in the design and the build quality.

I ask CM a few questions before I bought my first one, I really was worried that I would not like it. I even sent a message to Murkat after I got , kind of freaking out that maybe I made the wrong choice. Dragan had me come up to the studio and bring the amp and hearing it outside of the room I was in at home really changed what I was hearing. It sounded great, my co guitarist which is also our sound man, love it from the first rehearsal I brought it to. I've played live with it twice so far and could not be happier with the way it sounds and interacts with my pedals and any volume. I don't freak if I can't get it load enough because It doesn't have a hard sweet spot. The only thing I did was change the Creamback out to the vintage 1265 that I have on hand. IMHO it took some of the compression out of the amp and allowed it to find its own spot in the mix. 

The having the Orangutan and the Sock Monkey, 10/12  just made me realize what I like and didn't like about the EL84's. The amps have a sound of there own, but you hear different era's of rock n roll in them. It is very nice to have them both. Even though they sound different I wouldn't be scare to take either of them on a gig. We will see how much the 12" Greenback gives up the goods when I get it, I may swap it out, the 10" sound great, but I have not had the best of luck with a single green 12 not flubbing out when I get an amp cooking. 

The short and the skinny, these amps produce the  sounds of rock that are in your head. +1 on what CM said, I have not spoken with Ossie but Greg has answered every question I have had. They actually even changed the website off a suggestion I made. 

4 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Great sound, dead silent (even with a Strat and bar neons in the same room) and built liRe tanks.  Really precise construction and operation, and Greg & Ossie are freakin' awesome humans.

You need to get that Master Volume installed, you won't be sorry you did. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, just tweaking and tweaking, but finally we had rehearsal last night. Thank goodnesss my Used Green Rhino MKIV showed up yesterday in the mail. Yep that was what this guitar was missing. Tele -GR-Sock Monkey 18. That hit the spot and i'm loving it! 

As far as the Green Rhino Goes, I like it just as much as I did or even better than the Overrated Special. I used it in Classic mode which eliminates all the other extra knobs and its just volume, tone, gain. I set the Volume high noon, tone high noon, and the gain just below 9 0'clock. Perfect, just a touch of goose which made everything rocking. 

You guys know what an 70s Aerosmith nut I am....ever since I found out Brad was one of the Monkeys I have been wanting one....

Problem is I love all the amps I have....well, there is one I could sell.....maybe two.....to raise the fundage.....,I really do miss the Lil Dawg Pug 18 watter I had...

And I REALLy like how these amps look...tone rules all, but their look is beyond cool....l

56 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

You guys know what an 70s Aerosmith nut I am....ever since I found out Brad was one of the Monkeys I have been wanting one....

Problem is I love all the amps I have....well, there is one I could sell.....maybe two.....to raise the fundage.....,I really do miss the Lil Dawg Pug 18 watter I had...

And I REALLy like how these amps look...tone rules all, but their look is beyond cool....l

The Co-Guitarist in the band want to trade me something for the 12 watter. I just don't NEED anything else at this time. Both the 12 and 18 sound great. The 12 didn't need anything in front of it at rehearsals at higher volumes it clips and creates its own compression. I changed the Phase Inverter Tube to a 12AU7 in the 18 watter and just diming the gain bringing the volume up and just shaping it with the tube screamer just sound FREAKING CLASSIC! Even with a tele it sounded great. 

2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Atomic Music, near me, has a SMOKIN' deal on an Organ Grinder.  They also like to trade/deal...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-MONKEYS-ORGAN-GRINDER-15-Watt-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Combo-PICKUP-ONLY/372191742371?hash=item56a85b49a3:g:KbwAAOSwMEtaV9I8

11 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Atomic Music, near me, has a SMOKIN' deal on an Organ Grinder.  They also like to trade/deal...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-MONKEYS-ORGAN-GRINDER-15-Watt-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Combo-PICKUP-ONLY/372191742371?hash=item56a85b49a3:g:KbwAAOSwMEtaV9I8

Damnit, I've been watching it, but they won't ship! 

• 4 weeks later...

The Speaker Swap took the SM18 to a whole new level! Super Stoked that it turned out this well and now the SM18 and the OJR are just amazing amps. Since the Budda SD30 I have never played another EL84 that I liked as much. IMO this one even surpasses the XITS and the MAZ18. Both of those are tremendous amps, but with one channel and the pull boost I can cover so much ground. What topped it off was switching back to the OJR and going, yes they both sound amazing, yet share their own respective space. 

1 minute ago, gtrdaddy said:

@bubs_42 if you ever get tired of your SM, you know I'm game for sloppy seconds. One Monkey is fun. Two, is a party.

Three is a felony, at least in Washington.

Menage Ape Trois, or something like that......

Rehearsal tonight, I finally get to try the Sock Monkey loaded with Reaper with the band. Our singer/guitarist is looking forward to pulling out his big rig for a show down the road. I'm going to ask to borrow his 70's Marshall 4x12 with Blackbacks. I'm sure this amp and that cab would be amazing. 

Archived