Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pedal board suggestions ...

Some peeps concentrate on pedal boards.  And that's their thing.

Others, however find their tone and don't give a hoot.

image.jpeg.0a239c5297699906705ceebe634f9a77.jpeg

Any board without a BOSS is pretentious IMO.  Tuner and Noise Gate both have buffer circuits.

Build one board that works for you.  Then experiment and build another with other pedals.

I've discovered TC Electronics Spark Plug.  Gives a subtle tube-like gritty boost.

1 hour ago, Punkavenger said:

I've never set up a real pedalboard before ... How's this look? Any suggestions?  Thanks!

DSC00339.jpg

Well there is not wrong way, except for the way you did it. LOL The pedalboard is backward, if you spun all the pedals around, your DC Cables would be in the channel and not hanging over.

Is the MOJO Hand FX a Fuzz? IF it were me, Fuzz Pedals benefit from seeing the direct signal from your guitar. Just try it and tell me if it makes a difference to how it cleans up if you roll off your volume from how you have it. I would put the Fuzz First, then the tuner, blues driver, Flashback. Wah also likes to be first in the chain as well, but if you never work your volume knob then it may not make a difference. If your running a 20Ft cable to the board and 20Ft to the amp like I do then one of the Visual Sound Buffers mounted last in the chain and mounted under the board will help your signal to the amp. I even tried it first in the chain for a while, but didn't like it there. It almost made the everything feel, its all trial and error and if it works it works. 

All day you kept your trap shut, only to come out of the gate with your foot in your mouth. FUZZ Dicky, not distortion, FUZZ, FUZZZ, FUZZZZ!! It has everything to do with impedance, fuzz just likes to be first in the chain. Some but not all, that is all I'm saying. Try it, if you don't believe me. 

Just take a Fuzz plug your guitar into and then into the amp. Then take the fuzz and put it in the middle of your pedalboard, if your a guy that uses those things called a Volume Knob to to up or down you will most likely hear the difference. 

3 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Bubs - you put the distortion BEFORE the tuner?!? I think we've uncovered the root of your amp problems.

8 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

.....FUZZ Dicky, not distortion, FUZZ, FUZZZ, FUZZZZ!! .....

Well beleive it or not, Mr. Penis, fuzz IS distortion. Even MORE distortier than regular distortion.

22 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

They are kinda modern pancake patch cables. Cool. 

I was using George L's (I know, some guys hate GLs. I had good luck with them if you take time to cut them cleanly and tighten them correct.)

These new ones work great and save a lot of space. They come in different lengths for any install.

3 hours ago, santellavision said:

......I also agree, put the Fuzz first. (Try it and see).....

Dammit, Ernie! Don't encourage him.

I think most Boss pedals are buffered, so putting one of those early in your signal chain can help drive the signal through the rest of the effects chain.  I know a lot of people are all about TRUE BYPASS but it's really not the mythical sacred beast everyone goes nuts about. Especially if you have a delay or looper going, if it's true bypass it'll shut off completely once you click it off. With a buffered pedal, the sound keeps going for a bit.

Anyway, looks like a good setup! I keep saying I'm going to build a pedalboard for my guitar pedals, but I keep not doing it.

What kind of power supply are you going to be using?

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I think most Boss pedals are buffered, so putting one of those early in your signal chain can help drive the signal through the rest of the effects chain.  I know a lot of people are all about TRUE BYPASS but it's really not the mythical sacred beast everyone goes nuts about. Especially if you have a delay or looper going, if it's true bypass it'll shut off completely once you click it off. With a buffered pedal, the sound keeps going for a bit.

Anyway, looks like a good setup! I keep saying I'm going to build a pedalboard for my guitar pedals, but I keep not doing it.

What kind of power supply are you going to be using?

But just like putting a fuzz first, it isn't always the best thing. I just moved my buffer from the front to the end of the chain and experienced a more pleasing result. So try both IMHO, nothing is made in stone. I'm actually running my MXR Mini Booster AFTER the buffer. 

22 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Seriously, one of the more ignorant things I’ve read recently. 

touche

fx

Plush Valve Job, Plush Verbrator, RMC Real McCoy Picture Wah, G-Lab WW1 Wowee Wah, G-Lab TBWP Wah Pad, G-Lab SD-1 Delay, G-Lab DR-3 Dual Reverb, T-Rex BetaVibe, TC Electronics SCF

If it works for you, it's the pedalboard you need. :) Though yeah, turning it around for the power cables made sense.

I do agree that from trial and error I've found that...

guitar > cable > fuzz > distortion > modulation > delay/reverb > amp

...works best. I stick the tuner in front, thinking that I want to be able to get in tune fast even if a pedal is on, and I'd like the tuner to get a clean signal.

P.S. I don't have any BOSS pedals. TC Electronic tuner > Mad Professor fuzz > Mad Professor overdrive > Mad Professor tremolo > TC Electronic delay > TC Electronic looper. Not out of any kind of brand purity. I just found those particular pedals to be literally the best-sounding for my music and my ears I have ever tried, and I've tried a buttload of stuff.

Archived