Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold

gorch

January 1st, while sorting back the records into shelf from the New Year Party, I gave Love Over Gold a spinning. Haven’t heard it for years. I have liked it from the first day on and still do. Believing it is the best Dire Straits had ever made. Record quality is superb with lots of dynamics. 

Btw. LP parties are great. Everybody enjoys DJing, selecting and putting records on. Dancers are patient waiting for the next record pulled out and started. B)

Funny! I was flippin' through my LP collection last night and found this album, and some other Dire Strait albums. Haven't listened to them in 15 years or more. They were often a good band.

If you like Dire Straits then check out Donnald Cumming:

That was my first Dire Straits album which I bought because of the semi-hit Industrial Disease.  Though it couldn't have been more different, I immediately fell for Telegraph Road and ended up buying the entire catalog.  Great band.

Mrs. Toadroller is partial to Making Movies, especially Romeo and Juliet.

I did some good LP (and amp, and speaker-position-tweaking, and headphone, and...) listening over the break.  More than half the fun is digging through your old music and finding things you haven't heard for decades.  Lots of memories come flooding back.

I think I noted this a few years ago here, so 'scuse the redundancy, but that final extended instrumental passage of "Telegraph Road" contains my favorite Knopfler licks ever. That brief "cascading" run at the 12:00 mark blew me away first time I heard it.

Right or wrong, the band could have ultimately been known as The Mark Knopfler Experience since he was such a central figure, although I liked John Ilsley's bass tone, particularly on the BBC album.

Never heard 'em live but heard Mark Knopfler in 2000 on the Sailing to Philadelphia tour. Healthy dose of Straits material, including "Telegraph Road".  He opened with a slightly-slower (therefore more-insistent) version of "Calling Elvis" that was awesome.

Actually, it’s not my coup of tea when guys are soloing and adding playing band stuff to fill up and spoil while the band had quit. Ray Wilson i.e. had always been strong in his own. Live he keeps talking bollocks about Genesis and playing a serious dose of them  songs a minute later. Even published full Genesis albums with Orchestra. He’s great at it. No worries about that.

That album and "Making Movies" are classics.

7 hours ago, Toadroller said:

Mrs. Toadroller is partial to Making Movies, especially Romeo and Juliet.

I did some good LP (and amp, and speaker-position-tweaking, and headphone, and...) listening over the break.  More than half the fun is digging through your old music and finding things you haven't heard for decades.  Lots of memories come flooding back.

Making Movies is damn near a perfect album.

Dire Straits only played here once - a friend and I were debating whether to go.  I was at her apartment the day of Live Aid.  She came home from work for lunch, and that's when their set hit. She pulled out her purse, wrote a check and said, "Buy the damn tickets."  The show ended up sold out.  Seems Knopfler has only played here three times - that DS show, a solo show a bit over a year ago, and on the tour with Eric Clapton.  I was at all three - I could have sworn I missed a solo show or two.

I was at my buddy's house during Live Aid, because he had cable and I didn't.  We were tuning in for Queen, because to see Queen in those days was a complete rarity in the US; yet we were blown away by Dire Straights.  Those are the only two acts I remember from Live Aid.

Making Movies is one of the LPs I love to play.  Sure, I've got the CD, but the LP is meant to be an LP- bringing the topic back to the fun of listening to records (and Dire Straights!)

Interestingly, I don’t like Making Movies that much. It never jumped at me like Love Over Gold did. LOG catched me from the first note on and sustained until today. Great words. :lol:

4 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I really like Communique a lot as well. Anyone else dig it?

Communique is a very fine album. For me it stands a bit in the shadow of the first album, having Sultans Of Swing on it. I had always the impression it missed something driving, however. I can’t tell really. It’s s feeling.

Making Movies had been a radical change in style, much more rocking and driving. Following, Love Over Gold perfectly combining both worlds. 

The records get a spin today for sure.

Archived