Hamer Fan Club Message Center

If you have multiple git-fiddles, what's your rotation?

polara

Yer rotation  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I did a good job of simplifying stuff in 2017. Started out in a new job that had no travel, way less stress, and a lot more money. So I went on a buying and trading and selling spree, because... well, I could! After six months I let go of the "well, I bought it and it didn't rock my world" stuff and am down to one acoustic plus a travel guitar, three old electrics I don't really need but have sentimental/historic attachment to, and The Players.

• Lucky. The cheap PRS Vela that was literally drug behind a truck. Gouges, road rash, looks like Mad Max played it. I did a relic "patch 'n' sand 'n' spray" on it.
  • Silver. The HSS American Strat.
  • Monica. The custom-order Moniker with Lollar single coils.
  • Blondie. The new-to-me Artist Korina HB.

At gigs I don't want to switch guitars, 'cos we "choreograph" everything like a big-stage pop show... no pauses between songs, keep background/incidental music going, all the tuning times and stuff are planned. I'm having a tough time deciding what guitar can get us through our weird mix of Garbage-meets-Ting Tings stuff in tune. In the end it'll be the Strat just because it does everything okay, and the clean rhythm riffs way better than the others. How do you all choose?

I grab either the closest one to me, the one I'm in the mood for, or the one that I haven't played in a while and subsequently needs a little love.

Depends on what I'm playing at the time, and also what amp I have out at the time. With the less gain-heavy amps, I tend to bring out more of my single coil arsenal. Current guitars being played often:  Fender Tele, Hamer P90 Special, EBMM Luke III, G&L Legacy.

Currently trying to decide if I want to sell one of my P90 specials to get another P90 special that doesn't have a super thin neck.

I close my eyes, spin around in a circle, Pin-The-Tail-On-The-Donkey style, and fling a guitar pick against the wall.
I look for the one whose stings are vibrating from the pick, and then I grab my SuperPro.

I line them all up on stands and then divide them into categories ("Working Group", "Custom Group", "Great Looking Group", etc.), then make them circle the room and do tricks, each in turn.  After that, I call out the top 3, from #3 to #1, and crown #1 "Best In Show".

Wait...that's something entirely different.

I have pretty much given up on anything edging out "Old Blue", my older and somewhat "plainer" Huber Dolphin. Does not mean I will NOT swap out temporarily. If I am in a Stratty mood, the PRS 513 fills that role nicely, while still giving some higher powered pickup choices at the flick of 2 switches. I could play that one all by itself, for hours, doing all sorts of styles, without even touching the amp or pedals. And if a semi-hollow mood strikes, the SuperPro with f-holes fulls in nicely. The body, neck and fingerboard woods on that one are all just perfect together.

The one thing all three of those have in common is a longer scale. Sometimes, only a "Singlecut" with a shorter scale will do. Like maybe I am in a "Gary Moore" mood. Harder to decide then. There are a couple choices, inc a Monaco Elite with P-90s.

ETA.....If I need to be extra versatile, the Duo-Tone with a "Double D" in the neck (Rio BBQ in the bridge) fills the bill. Sometimes, in a band situation, a bit of the quasi-acoustic thing blended in really works well.

It all depends upon the sound I am going for...that said I rotate my daily play guitar a few times a week. None of my guitars are redundant. This keeps me “familiar” with them all.

Two guitars get played the most : 0006 and my Artist with the trons. 

‘Lately My Peavey Firenza has been getting a lot of love due to the most excellent sounding Rumpel Firebird pickups I slapped in there.

I play all of my guitars at home and rotate though them frequently. I have some on stands scattered throughout the house for spur of the moment noodling. Gigging is a different story.  I use my Daytona almost exclusively. I have a Strat that I decked out like my Hamer that I use as a backup. I do that because it fits the band and the music we’re playing. The other guitar player in the group is rocking a PRS with humbuckers so my Lollar loaded Daytona is a nice contrasting voice.

7 hours ago, HamerDave said:

I play all of my guitars at home and rotate through them frequently. I have some on stands scattered throughout the house for spur of the moment noodling. Gigging is a different story.  I use my Daytona almost exclusively. I have a Strat that I decked out like my Hamer that I use as a backup. I do that because it fits the band and the music we’re playing. The other guitar player in the group is rocking a PRS with humbuckers so my Lollar loaded Daytona is a nice contrasting voice.

^bold

Since I'm not gigging, the non-bold does not apply.

I enter the vault.  I have a list.  I pick a guitar to play.  When I'm done, I put a piece of paper in the case with that day's date on it.  I put it back in the vault.  The longest any guitar has been dormant is about a year.  Pulled out my Charvel Solar Top the other day and it was out of the case on 11/22/2016.  Nothing hangs or sits out of the case, unless it's in the rotation for the band or practicing.  One or two out at a time. 

Gigs?  One humbucker guitar, one "S" style and one bonus guitar. 

I typically take 3 guitars to a gig. I bring a Strat, a Tele and a non-single coil guitar which is usually one of my Hamers. The Strat sees most of the action and the others are for when I feel like something different sounding. 

They all get playing time.   The Newport has bumped the Mirage (with a Gravelin bucker-sized p-90 in the neck spot).  The Daytona has been in my daughter's hands lately, but she's been eyeing the Newport.    U#40 gets plenty of time too - covers a lot of ground just by playing with the V & T knobs. 

I used to be a "play several regularly because I like them and they're different".  Then I became "tune them differently and pick up the one with the tuning I need".  Then I got the Shishkov and played that pretty much exclusively until I got the strandberg Boden OS8.  Now I play that with occasional trips to Shishkovia for a few reasons:

1. It's headless, which makes it almost impervious to door frame whacks
  2. It's light and compact
  3. It effectively doubles as a bass when I'm writing with my looper and "in the moment"
  4. It plays and sounds great
  5. It's just not as nice, so I'm not as worried about incidental household damage as I would be with the Ultimate

With everything else sitting in its case, I've sold off some guitars that I love so far this past year, but this one and the Shishkov are still at the top of what remains.

Daytona, Standard, and the Ibby Firemen are always out

A bunch have long term rotations, like the Monaco 3, a G&L Asat, Peavey Firenza

A bunch come and go, like my Specials and the Artist

A bunch are closet queens which I should pay attention to more often.

I play 'em all on a semi-regular basis. That's why none but my '76 Strat ever goes back in a case. They're all out on stands or racks as I wanna be able to get at them all without having to think about it or put forth any extra effort.

Plain and simple, I've put a lot of effort into getting each and every axe in the harem to be just right. However, they each have their unique qualities and idiosyncrasies but in the end, that's part of what makes them worth keeping, i.e.- what's the point in having 15 or 16 axes that sound the same?

Archived