Hamer Fan Club Message Center

First full-band gig in ~20 years

Biz Prof

After a year of prodding, an engineering student studying on my campus talked me into joining some midde aged guys he knows to form a pickup band. The lad affectionately calls us the Old Guys Jam Band, and we used that moniker at our first gig on NYE. It was the first legit gig for me with a full ensemble in about 20 years. A good time was had by all, and I got to sing lead vocals on a couple of songs in addition to guitar duties.The playlist included Stones, Beatles, Allmans, SRV, Greg Kihn band, GA Satellites, Melllencamp, and the like.

I knew of the venue under many of its former existences. Not knowing a lot about it and the venue security in recent times, I opted to take my Phaez head, DIY 1x12 cab, Boss pedals, and my $150 PRS SE 245. The few sound clips I have heard were shockingly good. As we branch out more, I will consider taking a USA Hamer. I live in a very rural area, so the guys in the band are impressed that I used to do this as my living in the early '90s. Fun stuff chasing one's youth.

26114595_10213093462803879_7176673479432340930_o-1.jpg

2 minutes ago, tomteriffic said:

Good on ya!

I'm casually looking around for a bunch of fellow geezers to make some noise with.  I'd be stuck for a name, though.  A group called The Dinosaurs has been a fixture around here for years and that would be my first pick.

Borrow my name (last band)...."Gratefully Not (Yet) Dead".

Congrats! I disbanded my last gigging band in 2015....it is so much fun. I love concentrating on recording, but man it is just so much fun playing music in front of a crowd.

It’s fun ain’t it? Careful.  I didn’t play for 15 years then had an afternoon jam with an old band buddy. Now I’m completely out of control gigging a couple times a month, going to open jams and playing in two local bands. It’s an addiction man!

Archived