Hamer Fan Club Message Center

eBay GSP and CITIES and a WARNING!!!!

Rant:

I have a Hamer on eBay with a rosewood fingerboard that I have set up for US sales only. 

Somehow, someone in Canada circumvented this via the eBay GSP and wanted me to ship to the eBay GSP address in KY, where a freight forwarder sends the package internationally.

Googling the address brings up a host of threads across the internet people having shipped items to this address, the product having been received, but buyers having successfully filing claims for item not received.  The freight forwarder does not provide the seller any data.  Paypal does not consider the product delivered until in the buyer's hand, which you as the seller cannot not prove since you have no information!

I told the buyer I'd ship it if he paid via PP gift and explained the laws and that he has to bore the risk. 

He said I was "unreasonable and difficult", so cancel the sale.

To top it off, eBay sends me an email that I have a final value fees CREDIT now for future use.  They refuse to refund fees for this non-sale!

Time to call VISA.

/rant

This doesn't help your situation, but for others, GSP is a setting that you can (and absolutely should) opt out of.  The default setting is ON.

To opt out of the Global Shipping Program:
  • Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences, or Seller Hub > Overview > Shortcuts > Site Preferences.
  • Click the Show link to the right of the Shipping Preferences section.
  • Click the Edit link to the right of Offer the Global Shipping Program.
  • Click Opt Out.

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 12.01.31 PM.png

Not that I'm disputing you, and I have opted out of GSP, but in eBay's description it clearly states that as a seller, you're protected against not received or damage claims once it's received by the forwarding location. But, like you, I wouldn't be willing to take the risk as a seller.

How sellers are protected

With the Global Shipping Program, you're protected in the following ways:

• You qualify for automatic 5-star protection on shipping and handling charge detailed seller ratings when you provide free domestic shipping to the US shipping center. If you receive a rating below 5 stars for shipping and handling charges, it won't count against your seller performance standards.

• You qualify for automatic 5-star protection on shipping time detailed seller rating when you ship with same day or 1-day handling, upload tracking information within 1 business day of receiving cleared payment, and the item is delivered to the US shipping center within 4 business days. If you receive a rating below 5 stars for shipping time, it won't count against your seller performance standards.

• Any negative or neutral feedback that can be attributed to the Global Shipping Program from item handling during international transit will be removed. See details.

• You aren't responsible for item loss or damage that occurs after the item is forwarded by the US shipping center. Once an item has been forwarded by the US shipping center, you won't be responsible for refunding the buyer if an eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection case is filed against you for one of the following reasons:

• A buyer claims an item isn't received or

• A package is damaged in transit

Learn more about eBay seller protection.

1 hour ago, Studio Custom said:

Wow, it usually takes people a couple of days to find out that you're unreasonable and difficult.

6 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

NOTHING protects you for breaking the law and illegally shipping a rosewood guitar sans CITIES paperwork and said guitar being confiscated.  Confiscated items are NOT returned to seller. 

Not that this is worth risking, but early on when the GSP was rolled out, I bought a Newport. It was confiscated by the GSP company (Pintey Bowes) citing CITES concerns as the issue. This was pre-all rosewood times. They thought it was Brazillian. It wasn't...

I received a full refund from E-bay, the seller kept my payment and the guitar was never seen or heard from again.

I had turned off my GSP option a few months ago, in the same way as Cynic demonstrated.  Just before I clicked the finalize/no button, FeePay asked a couple of questions, like 'why' and 'what are you using instead for international shipping', or something like that.  IIRC, I gave something nonspecific for the first question, and for the second I clicked the 'I have an alternative method' box, which in my case is NO method at all, as I don't use it.  Damn, FeePay is a nosy bunch!  I hardly watch any items there anymore, as otherwise I keep getting stupid, antsy emails about auctions ending soon; or worse, sending me alternatives to what I was watching, when I don't necessarily WANT alternatives.  Greedy bastards.

Edited to add: Reverb isn't far behind FeePay.  If I'm watching an item, and somebody puts an offer on it, Reverb sends me an email that has a header in the text (not the title to the email) that says 'hurry up and make an offer'.  Odd thing is, is that I normally have the graphics turned off on my emails, and when I allow the graphics for the email message, the 'hurry up' part disappears.  Too late, first impression counts, and I DON'T 'hurry up' for nobody.

3 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Rant:

I have a Hamer on eBay with a rosewood fingerboard that I have set up for US sales only. 

Somehow, someone in Canada circumvented this via the eBay GSP and wanted me to ship to the eBay GSP address in KY, where a freight forwarder sends the package internationally.

Googling the address brings up a host of threads across the internet people having shipped items to this address, the product having been received, but buyers having successfully filing claims for item not received.  The freight forwarder does not provide the seller any data.  Paypal does not consider the product delivered until in the buyer's hand, which you as the seller cannot not prove since you have no information!

I told the buyer I'd ship it if he paid via PP gift and explained the laws and that he has to bore the risk. 

To top it off, eBay sends me an email that I have a final value fees CREDIT now for future use.  They refuse to refund fees for this non-sale!

Time to call VISA.

/rant

I had a guy hit the BIN button on a cheap guitar I was selling several years ago. No correspondence. No money. Nothin'. I rarely use e-Bay at all probably in the last 10 years. They wouldn't refund my money either. And they told me I couldn't leave negative feedback on the seller. That money sat there, somewhere around 20 bucks so no biggie but still enough to make me feel like I got a broomstick up my ass, for probably 2 years since I didn't list anything. 

As for the GSP, I've heard horror stories about guitars getting "lost" or confiscated. No money for the seller. 

Another scam a few in the reptile community have encountered is where a customer pays through PayPal and says they'll pick up the animal an such and such a show. This way they avoid shipping costs and the problems associated with shipping we hear about every day. After the show and after receiving delivery at the show, they contact PP and say the seller never shipped and they want their money back. The sellers I know have contacted PP and told them what happened but PP still sides with the lying customer. One guy I know now video tapes and photographs the transaction at the show and gets a signed document stating they received delivery. I haven't heard from him in a while but after everything PP has done to sellers it wouldn't surprise me that all they have to tell PP is that isn't them in the photo and video. Back in the day we used to have a set of "bikers" who would get addresses from several dealers and ride cross country to collect, wink wink. We told them they could keep what ever they collected to pay for their trip. 

Time to call VISA......................yes it sure is!.............. and get out of the GSP!:o................Ebay sucks [Of course it does].................but the GSP sucks worse.:blink: So your "unreasonable and difficult" because you don't want to be cheated out of your money?:huh:.................to add insult to injury now Ebay has done that to you................I'd say they are being "unreasonable and difficult"  Sale?....................... what sale?:wacko:

4 hours ago, kizanski said:

Wow, it usually takes people a couple of days to find out that you're unreasonable and difficult.

4 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

No it doesn't, now fuck off!  :)

Boys!   Knock it off back there or I'll turn this car around and NOBODY will get a vacation this year! 

19 hours ago, crunchee said:

I had turned off my GSP eBay option participation a few months years ago

This worked marvelously for me.  I ended participation in eBay around the time I ended participation in Facebook. 

Every day I've missed them even less.  Life is good! 

Archived